If there was no division split...

6manTechsan

Six-man fan
Just for fun but, how many teams in D2 outrank the teams in D1? Looking at the "rankings" but it seems very similar regardless of enrollment or divisions. Wonder what it would look like since MC is ranked #1 overall (D2) and seems like there is a lot of D2 teams ranked higher than some D1 teams. So... hypothetically, would there be more D2 teams advance over the D1 schools? Like I said, just for fun if there was no division split. Thoughts?

Just for fun but, how many teams in D2 outrank the teams in D1? Looking at the "rankings" but it seems very similar regardless of enrollment or divisions. Wonder what it would look like since MC is ranked #1 overall (D2) and seems like there is a lot of D2 teams ranked higher than some D1 teams. So... hypothetically, would there be more D2 teams advance over the D1 schools? Like I said, just for fun if there was no division split. Thoughts?
Same is true virtually every year since the division split, which I hate. It has eroded the overall competition in my opinion. Every year there are a handful of "elite" teams in the combined divisions. This year is no different. Motley County, Strawn and Richland Springs as well as Cherokee and Gordon can hang with DI schools. I think the top three are elite and would win most DI districts. Cherokee and Gordon would win some DI districts and be a playoff contender in most if not all. there are a few others who could compete in select Di districts. All the remainder would get blown out in virtually every DI district game. DI on the other hand remains highly competitive with as many as seven or eight teams qualifying as "elite' and a whole bunch more capable of being playoff contenders. I think this is because of the elevated level of competition they face. You have to play better teams to get better.

Last edited:
Same is true virtually every year since the division split, which I hate. It has eroded the overall competition in my opinion. Every year there are a handful of "elite" teams in the combined divisions. This year is no different. Motley County, Strawn and Richland Springs as well as Cherokee and Gordon can hang with DI schools. I think the top three are elite and would win most DI districts. Cherokee and Gordon would win some DI districts and be a playoff contender in most if not all. there are a few others who could compete in select Di districts. All the remainder would get blown out in virtually every DI district game. DI on the other hand remains highly competitive with as many as seven or eight teams qualifying as "elite' and a whole bunch more capable of being playoff contenders. I think this is because of the elevated level of competition they face. you have to play better teams to get better.
Love what you said, I hate the the split too. That being said, travel costs and 8-9 teams in the district imo is better for all schools. Every team is different every year. Hence is why the D2 schools could/would be able to compete regardless of the "split". There are teams in both divisions that did not deserve to be in the playoffs, regardless of their record. Just tires of the participation awards going out to both divisions. Atleast it's not like the 11man folks who take 4.

Love what you said, I hate the the split too. That being said, travel costs and 8-9 teams in the district imo is better for all schools. Every team is different every year. Hence is why the D2 schools could/would be able to compete regardless of the "split". There are teams in both divisions that did not deserve to be in the playoffs, regardless of their record. Just tires of the participation awards going out to both divisions. Atleast it's not like the 11man folks who take 4.
Totally agree. Anyone doubt it I offer the DII playoff first round bracket as evidence. So many non-competitive games. It is very hard for a fan with no particular rooting interest to find a first round playoff game to attend that will justify the travel expense. Second round is almost where the playoffs should truly start in this division. I know there are an outlier or two but overall pitiful matchups for playoff football.

Totally agree. Anyone doubt it I offer the DII playoff first round bracket as evidence. So many non-competitive games. It is very hard for a fan with no particular rooting interest to find a first round playoff game to attend that will justify the travel expense. Second round is almost where the playoffs should truly start in this division. I know there are an outlier or two but overall pitiful matchups for playoff football.
It's making the current generation weak with this "give everyone a chance mentally". It's sickening to me.
*Had a sargent-major tell me specifically how weak this generation has become. Had a kid "cry" because he was yelled at. The kids response was, you can't tell at me like that Sargent-Major...

I need to add some western teams I omitted to the second tier of teams, Balmorhea, Klondike, Groom, Anton and Jayton can all also hang. No slight intended.

Last edited:
There are a handful of teams from D2 that would make a deep run. When you look at the division split I see both sides yeah we don’t want everyone to get a trophy but when a school has 95 kids in high school let’s say 45 are boys and 30 play football there is probably 12 that can at the very least contribute. If you have 35 kids and only say 15 boys you know 5 are the non sports types so you start with 10 and can’t even run a full practice. Those schools shouldn’t compete against each other.

There are a handful of teams from D2 that would make a deep run. When you look at the division split I see both sides yeah we don’t want everyone to get a trophy but when a school has 95 kids in high school let’s say 45 are boys and 30 play football there is probably 12 that can at the very least contribute. If you have 35 kids and only say 15 boys you know 5 are the non sports types so you start with 10 and can’t even run a full practice. Those schools shouldn’t compete against each other.
Respectfully disagree

UIL obviously agrees. I personally think it takes away from the players when the quality of competition is diluted. Just my opinion.

That’s fine I’m not saying anyone is wrong on here. My opinion could be 100% wrong. I did say I could see both sides of the division split but only explained one side. I think if there was not a division split the race to the playoffs would be more exciting and the playoffs themselves would probably be more competitive.
I know a lot of folks are in favor of the current system.. I'm old enough to remember when there would be competitive playoff games in the first round. Now days a close game in that round is the exception, not the rule. Most first round games, particularly in DII, are walkovers. The reward for the runner-ups is to say 'we got 45ed by Balmorehea in the first round'. What kind of reward is that?

View attachment 2181

The current rankings at pigskinprep.com if there were no divisions. UIL only.
So... 10 out of 15 teams in the top 25 are D2... Numbers don't matter and I believe there would be most D2 teams could hang with the D1 schools. Numbers don't matter, it's how your players play and coaches Coach! I do appreciate your spreadsheet you put up, thank you! Maybe Mike will make you an admin lol. But... RS would beat SE imo, Follett the same etc... Rankings are rankings but it doesn't prove the point that rankings do not matter regardless of D1/D2. Any given night. I know the there will never be unification but, it's ridiculous to say D2 teams couldn't/wouldn't contend for a state championship if there wasn't a split. (And not have so many mercy rule endings in the playoffs)

So... 10 out of 15 teams in the top 25 are D2... Numbers don't matter and I believe there would be most D2 teams could hang with the D1 schools. Numbers don't matter, it's how your players play and coaches Coach! I do appreciate your spreadsheet you put up, thank you! Maybe Mike will make you an admin lol. But... RS would beat SE imo, Follett the same etc... Rankings are rankings but it doesn't prove the point that rankings do not matter regardless of D1/D2. Any given night. I know the there will never be unification but, it's ridiculous to say D2 teams couldn't/wouldn't contend for a state championship if there wasn't a split. (And not have so many mercy rule endings in the playoffs)
Sorry to get technical, but I believe it is 10 D2 in top 25, actually only 4 in top 15. Also, as the season goes along the rankings always get more accurate. I wish people would look at the number on far right of rankings page. RATINGS to be exact. You get a much bigger picture by that number. Example, frequently a 9th ranked team can be 45'd by a top 3 team. The top tier that people speak of frequently on this site can be from either D1 or D2. I understand your thinking here. When it is all said and done, could a D2 team actually be the best team regardless of Division. I think yes, and I think we have seen that in some years. But to wrap up, regardless of Division or Ranking the top tier each year is on a different level from average or even good 6 man teams. The split I believe is for the majority of the smaller 6 man schools. A ball club with 6 to 9 players is normally going to have big problems with a ball club that has 12 to 20. I know: an exception exist. We sometimes see a phenomenal team with very few kids that compete with anyone. This is the exception. I hated when it split into 2 divisions by the way, still prefer 1. But I also understand the reasoning. Just my thoughts on it. Not trying to start a pissing contest or anything.

Sorry to get technical, but I believe it is 10 D2 in top 25, actually only 4 in top 15. Also, as the season goes along the rankings always get more accurate. I wish people would look at the number on far right of rankings page. RATINGS to be exact. You get a much bigger picture by that number. Example, frequently a 9th ranked team can be 45'd by a top 3 team. The top tier that people speak of frequently on this site can be from either D1 or D2. I understand your thinking here. When it is all said and done, could a D2 team actually be the best team regardless of Division. I think yes, and I think we have seen that in some years. But to wrap up, regardless of Division or Ranking the top tier each year is on a different level from average or even good 6 man teams. The split I believe is for the majority of the smaller 6 man schools. A ball club with 6 to 9 players is normally going to have big problems with a ball club that has 12 to 20. I know: an exception exist. We sometimes see a phenomenal team with very few kids that compete with anyone. This is the exception. I hated when it split into 2 divisions by the way, still prefer 1. But I also understand the reasoning. Just my thoughts on it. Not trying to start a pissing contest or anything.
You're good man, this is for fun. My point is how many of these D2 schools could or possibly would be in the state championship this year regardless of divisions. That being said, rankings do not matter, it's whichever team shows up! Yeah there are small schools that some may think that will never be able to compete but that is their opinion. Atleast theyre playing football. Teams have on and off years because it is 6man... I know and understand the UIL will never change the split but it is what it is. Teams and Coaches will never know the true outcome because of the split. I'm tired of seeing 45's after 45's because the competition is weaker. That being said, thank you for your input.

Back