Ice baths for recovery

I have read articles on both sides. I "think" if there is swelling then ice is good initially. Soreness needs lots of fluids and warmth to flush the system. I leave it as an option. If they think it helps I let them have a short one.

From what I've heard it only takes a short bath to work. Although Peyton stayed in long enough to lose feeling in his toes on that Nationwide commercial.

It is said that ice bath therapy constricts the vascular system, flushes waste, reduces swelling & promotes healing. On the whole, I'd rather take some ibuprofen than sustain the healing properties of the frigid therapy...............then again I'm just an old codger who hates the cold..........

smokeyjoe53":18k50bgm said:
It is said that ice bath therapy constricts the vascular system, flushes waste, reduces swelling & promotes healing. On the whole, I'd rather take some ibuprofen than sustain the healing properties of the frigid therapy...............then again I'm just an old codger who hates the cold..........
Plus you don't ever do anything more strenuous than a 12 oz curl or flip a burger so...

smokeyjoe53":g47y0xma said:
True....... I did work on a hog trap for 10 minutes or so yesterday...............
Working outside in this weather is almost like an ice bath.

Anyone else really use their whirlpool for ice baths?

Yes, we used them years ago. Brought young men to tears sometimes. Very similar to my college coach spraying Nitrotan on bad cases of jock itch. Pure torture. Not that I ever experienced it!

We used ice baths about once every two weeks during football, but have only used it once during basketball.
The kids seem to enjoy it, but it's a pain to haul coolers to and from the cafeteria for ice or else we would probably do it more often.

Like someone said, "if the kids think its doing good, then we'll keep doing it."

everything i am reading on the newest studies for athletic injury treatment is saying ice actually hurts the healing process now and delays healing!!!!

There is definitely varying opinions on it but I'm sure if it was detrimental in any way the pro's wouldn't be doing it at all.
If I was ever a coach and decided to use this therapy on a regular basis (assuming the kids worked hard enough to need it) I would put the whirlpool next to the ice machine or an ice machine next to the whirlpool or just fill a chest freezer with water.
This strategy may be usefull during 2 a days for heat protocols. Maybe a dunk in just a cool bath would suffice in that case.

I would imagine if you asked 10 professionals in the sports medicine field, you would get 10 varying opinions to some degree or another. Having said that it has been in my limited experience to treat acute injuries ( muscoskeletal ) with cold, compression & elevation. Chronic injury treatment or preventative therapy should be taken on an individual basis. A holistic approach taking in the individual's medical history, especially the cardiovascular system, would be a prudent measure before implementation of any long term treatment.

smokeyjoe53":3dkwn80d said:
I would imagine if you asked 10 professionals in the sports medicine field, you would get 10 varying opinions to some degree or another. Having said that it has been in my limited experience to treat acute injuries ( muscoskeletal ) with cold, compression & elevation. Chronic injury treatment or preventative therapy should be taken on an individual basis. A holistic approach taking in the individual's medical history, especially the cardiovascular system, would be a prudent measure before implementation of any long term treatment.

Damn, we been calling the wrong man Doc. I am impressed.....

We use it at Follett, or I should say the girls use ice baths. Started doing it with the boys in 2010. Coach bought a 5 foot water trough we filled with ice and water 2 1/2 feet deep. Our stud QB's high-pitch screaming lasted the entire duration of the bath--maybe 60 seconds. After that the others wanted nothing to do with it.

The girls were complete opposites. When they heard ice bath they would line up 7 or 8 deep for a turn. Still do. We still have half a dozen girls who can stay in for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. We have to make them get out so the next two can go. And they don't wait to be told. At Regional they will take them after the prelims.

This year our junior high boys and girls lined up for baths after every kill day. Personally, I hated ice on my body. I would intentionally fake not being injured and tired to prevent the coach from using ice on me. To me it hurt much more than the sprain, drain or tendinitis I was suffering with.

I think its good stuff. I remember HS summers during and after hay hauling or cutting pulp wood we would jump into cool pine-forest creeks and ponds. Once we jumped into our ag. teacher's pool. After the initial shock we were rejuvenated and returned to the field and forest to make more money.

When I was the head track coach at Rosebud-Lott (2011-2014) we used ice baths once a week during track season. I never could get my receivers to do it during football season but I believe it helps the athletes recover. It almost became a "right of passage" for the track kids it meant you were in high school and big enough to stand 15 minutes in the ice cold bath. I thought it was funny but whatever kept my kiddos going and getting the ice bath was what mattered.

Heard a radio commercial about this cryo place in Dallas that uses dry ice swirled around your body to simulate an ice bath. Why they don't just jump in the tub is beyond me.

Back