I need help answering this question.

JH PACER COACH

11-man fan
I was wondering as a coach, if you play a team at their field and and the field is in bad condition, ex. holes, sprinkler heads exposed, large cracks. As a coach do you have the ability to decide not to play that game on that field, and will it cost you that game? We played on a field less than desirable this past Friday night and the field was in bad shape. I addressed the refs as well as the coach and they put sand in the holes, but halfway through the game our quarterback stumbled into a hole and has possibly tore his ACL, and we have lost him for the season. I'm just wondering. Any insight in this will help. Thanks.

I would hope , if you feel that your players are truly endangered, you would simply forfeit the game with no concern about the loss.

To answer your question, yes and yes. As a coach, you do have the ability to not play the game. And yes, it will cost you the game. "Less than desirable field" in 6 man (especially at the small private school level) is simply the nature of the beast. Everyone wants to have a nice field but very few can afford one. Sorry about the injury to your player. Hope he's not hurt too bad and recovers well.

Back