How does someone get into coaching six man football?

jbrann12

11-man fan
Hi, my name is Jordan Brann. I graduated from RRCA last year and played in the private school all star bowl and the Can Am Bowl. I have never been as happy as I was on the football field. I've thought about it a lot and I want to coach six man football. Is there a specific college major for coaching or teaching or something?

Volunteering goes a long way. If you are going to college, try to find a school that plays six man and volunteer. This is usually easier with private school or independent schools. Then just build your way up from there. Unless you are taking a teaching job somewhere, the degrees won't really matter. Six man coaching is a niche job, so once you gain some experience that goes a long way.

Hi Jordan. I'm not qualified to advise you but admire your choice of career at an early age.
I do know Coach Burkhart at Richland Springs and Mallory at Throckmorton went to Tarleton.
I don't know what either majored in. Coach Pustejovsky at Strawn went there also and I believe interned at Strawn before being hired. Several 6 man towns not too far away. Call or e-mail one for advise after the season.
Some out there might advise you to go to Colorado and jump off a cliff first to demonstrate your insanity in this pursuit...low pay, small town parent "advisers", driving the yellow dog, washing towels, marking fields.
But don't get discouraged when you get 45'd. It happens to the best of em'.

smokeyjoe53":aiv0edpe said:
Michael Brand at Whitharral might offer some advice. A good young coach and a fine young man.

Thanks for the compliment, SmokeyJoe!

Believe it or not, coaching 6-man football never crossed my mind
while going to school. But after being involved in it for 8 years now,
I wouldn't consider coaching crowded field football.

As far as education, there are plenty of fine schools out there.
If I had to do it again, I would go with a public school (much cheaper)
I majored in kinesiology with teacher certification and minored in math.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me
Or email [email protected]

jbrann12":3wf0slh7 said:
Hi, my name is Jordan Brann. I graduated from RRCA last year and played in the private school all star bowl and the Can Am Bowl. I have never been as happy as I was on the football field. I've thought about it a lot and I want to coach six man football. Is there a specific college major for coaching or teaching or something?
I think just coaching, like at a private school, wont take a degree. But if you want a teacher/coach career you do.

Get to a public college to keep expenses lower. Find a major and minor you are interested in...your major is what you really want to teach while you coach. Take your most challenging courses during the summers, say one or two each session. You dont need PE classes to be a coach, but take them if that is where your heart is. Dont need kinesiology in most small schools. They need teachers in many fields: Sp. Ed, math, science, spanish, social studies. Be ready to work from the bottom up the first six or eight years. Build some character.

Most importantly, marry a good woman who is better than you and has infinite reserves of patience and faith. Then have lots of babies. :) :)

Good luck

My simple piece of advice is to major in your teaching field! Going through my administration classes right now tells me administrators want to hire people who major in their teaching field and then assign them coaching positions. I majored in Kinesiology but future employers see PE! I am a biology minor and that is my first teaching field. Good luck. I coached 11 man for 7 years before getting into 6man, not sure if I will ever go back if I can absolutely help it.

You just have to be employed by the school and you can coach. I'm still in college online, and I am coaching full time at Oglesby and working as a teachers Aid while finishing my degree. Most get their degree in teaching in some subject which is what I'm finishing up on, and that obviously is the easiest way to work at a school. Good luck to you.

Thank you. I'll either teach math or be a school counselor or something where I can help kids deal with their problems. I've been through a lot and want to help people with the same issues that I've dealt with and more.

Doesn't being a counselor now just mean that you handle all the state testing? Like STAAR and stuff?
Stick with the math and you'll help more kids than you'll ever know. Better have thick skin if you're going to coach. Its nothing like being a player.

That's true, if you are a full time employee of the school you can be a head coach, and if you are a part-time employee I think you can be an assisstant coach. But unless you have solid pull at that school its a slippery slope to walk.
I read somewhere that the average stint for a Texas football coach is just four years, with a degree. If that degree is math or science the average jumps to seven years. If your title is maintenance or janitorial it is likely to be shorter, unless you have solid influence. So make the committment and do a four or five year course of study and get that extra job security.

If a degreed coach decides to pull up stakes and relocate the prospects are good to great that he will find a job. Otherwise, most likely fewer places to choose from. However. If you have a stud athlete or two, I mean a player with a reputation, or several kids who play, (here comes some exaggeration) your chances are as good as the math and science credentialed coach. Oooh, that's a controversial thing to say. My mother and dad would slap my mouth, or in this case my fingers for that.

Jordan,

If you're looking to get in now, volunteer your time at a private school and work your way up. If you can get in good with a public school coach try and volunteer your time and say you just want to learn. I got started as a sub with Coach Holloway several years ago just volunteering. Good luck to you. Hope all is well! You did a great job for us at the CanAm Bowl. You have a lot of heart.

Coach Bear":1clzafd4 said:
Jordan,

If you're looking to get in now, volunteer your time at a private school and work your way up. If you can get in good with a public school coach try and volunteer your time and say you just want to learn. I got started as a sub with Coach Holloway several years ago just volunteering. Good luck to you. Hope all is well! You did a great job for us at the CanAm Bowl. You have a lot of heart.

Thank you, sir. It was an honor to play for you.

Back