How do you Judge a Coaches Success

B6MF

Six-man fan
In your own personal opinions, what defines a coach being successful. In my opinion, winning has a lot to do with a coaches success but there's more to it then just that. A coach should be preparing his kids for success on and off the field. Are the kids successful after they graduate, how many of them are going to college? I think it's important to remember, that being a coach is much more than just winning games. What are yalls opinions on coaching success?

You can tell a lot about a coach's' success in many ways besides just won/loss stats, for example: sportsmanship and clean play among the athletes , respect from peers , and what most people don't see: what goes on behind the scenes at their school with the kids, (changing the attitude to a winning one, etc)

Look at the student/athletes before the coaches arrival. Winning games are important, but winning kids is essential.
The three C's:
Character- Doing what is right, even when no one is watching
Class- Doing it the right way...Positive approach, strong work ethic, and teamwork.
Community- Doing it for the right reason...for the people around you and the people you represent.

Just some thoughts

IMHO, just look at Chad Satcher. His success goes way beyond the field. He holds his kids to a higher standard which makes them winners. And his teams win too.

I was asked to make a top 10 list for a school that was hiring. Whether they were available or not, Satcher was #1 on my list, and would be again if asked to do it again. Funny thing is, I've never even met the guy, wouldn't know him if he walked up to me right now.

Satcher
Reed
V. Jones
Mallory
The common denominator is that they care beyond the gridiron. That is what makes a coach successful.

Shad, does having high school aged boys good enough to start anywhere you might be hired enter into your top ten list? In my mind it makes Mallory a part of your top ten list and might drop him just outside it without them.

Well, i was in the top 100 up until we lost to Garden City. Now Im one less son playing football. I guess now i can slide to my normal back end of the pack. Hopefully my youngest son can keep me somewhere in the top 150-175.
Times will be tough for me, but it was good while it lasted. Still not sure where my ranking will fall to in 3 years.... maybe all the way down to retirement

Or maybe ill just become an expert recruiter and be back in the lead pack! I guess time will tell.

Black-Gold":23rste2r said:
Well, i was in the top 100 up until we lost to Garden City. Now Im one less son playing football. I guess now i can slide to my normal back end of the pack. Hopefully my youngest son can keep me somewhere in the top 150-175.
Times will be tough for me, but it was good while it lasted. Still not sure where my ranking will fall to in 3 years.... maybe all the way down to retirement

Or maybe ill just become an expert recruiter and be back in the lead pack! I guess time will tell.
Where is the "like" button?

Blue Bird":2j2204i0 said:
Shad, does having high school aged boys good enough to start anywhere you might be hired enter into your top ten list? In my mind it makes Mallory a part of your top ten list and might drop him just outside it without them.
Except Coach Mallory walked into his first two years at Gordon with a bare cupboard. It didn't take long for him to revitalize the program.
It is true he returned to coaching at T-Rock with a full cupboard and he moved on to a Hermliegh team with state of the art facilities and talent.
BTW, of all the Six-Man fields I have had my picture taken with my motorcycle, I chose the Cardnial facility for my avatar on this site because I was so staggered by it.

Blue Bird":2anttk15 said:
Both my boys played for Mallory and they loved him, and he loved them. I know a lot of other boys that feel the same way. That was my criteria.

I say it's the one who inspire,motivate and teach young men to confidently strive for greatness in all aspects of life.

Lots of coaches know football, lots of coaches teach beyond football, but the coaches that inspire and motivate a team or group of young men to confidently strive for greatness regardless of actual talent.....the coaches who get a entire community (kids,parents,staff and fans) to buy into greatness on and off the field.........

In my opinion a great coach is
a inspiration to kids,a motivator, a leader....on and off the field!

I couldn't have said it any better than tx6man4life. Successful teams always have a coach that motivates to get the best out of the kids. I've seen coaches that are very negative towards the team and individual players. A negative coach might do ok when they play teams that are terrible so they can win some easy games but you don't get kids or parents to buy into the program. A great team can look bad cause of a negative coach but a decent team can do great with a motivational coach cause they will give alot more.

I'll bite......

But not for any reason other than I believe its true. If i were making a list, (and I'm not going any farther than this) Craig would 100% be on that list. He doesnt get talked about like others do for some reason, but he is one of the best for sure.

Shad Kline":1vkarthf said:
IMHO, just look at Chad Satcher. His success goes way beyond the field. He holds his kids to a higher standard which makes them winners. And his teams win too.

I was asked to make a top 10 list for a school that was hiring. Whether they were available or not, Satcher was #1 on my list, and would be again if asked to do it again. Funny thing is, I've never even met the guy, wouldn't know him if he walked up to me right now.

Satcher
Reed
V. Jones
Mallory
The common denominator is that they care beyond the gridiron. That is what makes a coach successful.

I can tell you, having had Coach Satcher coach one of my boys, and seeing the impact he made on our town was simply amazing. Now watching him do the same thing in Mount Calm, I'm blown away. He is a rare breed, and is so humble its scary. He cares about winning, but he cares more about his kids in college, the military, trade school - once again he's a rare breed. He may never be the best 6-man coach, but might be the best people we've ever had at our sixmman school. And that's saying a lot having known Coach Hauk.

Back