Hitting the center

Holdampf

11-man fan
I am watching some film right now, and I have a question about non-deep snaps in 6 man. I see some teams in a standard shotgun/pistol set, yet the center's head is down, or no one is lined up over them? can the defense still put someone head up on the center during these kinds of snaps without getting some sort of penalty? I know we cant make contact right away in a deep snap, but a lot of these plays are not deep snaps?

Solution
So what do these actually all add up to in normal words?

If offense is under center: defense can lineup over and hit the snapper. No extra restrictions.

If offense is in shotgun or punt formation: defense may lineup over snapper, but may not initiate contact for 1 second after the snap.

If offense is in field goal formation: defense may not lineup over the snapper within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage AND may not initiate contact for 1 second after the snap.
I am watching some film right now, and I have a question about non-deep snaps in 6 man. I see some teams in a standard shotgun/pistol set, yet the center's head is down, or no one is lined up over them? can the defense still put someone head up on the center during these kinds of snaps without getting some sort of penalty? I know we cant make contact right away in a deep snap, but a lot of these plays are not deep snaps?
~ UIL/NCAA SIX-MAN FOOTBALL RULES COMPARISON ~Approved by the UIL – April 2023

* 6-3-14-a FR-72) 10. When Team A is aligned in any formation other than a place kick (field goal or try) aTeam B player within one yard of the line of scrimmage may legally be aligned within the frameworkof the body of the snapper. Note Rule Variation #20 prohibits initiation of contact on the snapperuntil one second has elapsed after the snap.

* (9-1-14 FR-98) 19 20. When a team is in an offensive or scrimmage kick formation, and no player is inposition to take a hand-to-hand snap, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapperuntil one second has elapsed after the snap. PENALTY: Personal Foul, 15 yards and automatic 1stdown. (S38 & S8) (A.R. 9-1-14-II FI-67)

Upvote 1
So what do these actually all add up to in normal words?

If offense is under center: defense can lineup over and hit the snapper. No extra restrictions.

If offense is in shotgun or punt formation: defense may lineup over snapper, but may not initiate contact for 1 second after the snap.

If offense is in field goal formation: defense may not lineup over the snapper within 1 yard of the line of scrimmage AND may not initiate contact for 1 second after the snap.

Upvote 1
Solution
Back