Harrold Football

Just wondering about Harrolds 5-0 start, would they be 5-0 playing players that arent ineligiable? Will the wins count at the end of the season? Should their record be 0-5 at this point?

Playing devils advocate here, as Ive no dog in the fight, but did players actually transfer to Harrold? Does the UIL have a case going?

if any team fields varsity ineligible players then thats a JV team ...or if that was not reported to the opposing team(s) then those games should go down as forfeits...pretty clear cut rules

I know schools have done this in the past and regardless of what they want to say or think playing an ineligible player is against the rules for a varsity team...so if you do this you are a JV regardless of how many teams you have at the school...if it is your only team it is a JV team

it is a slick way to try to get around the rules of playing ineligible players that Im sure only happens in 1A

again i dont know who if anyone is doing this now...but it has been done in the recent past

Im ok with schools who have very low numbers doing this...if they understand they are a JV team and inform the opponents they are a JV team and are fielding varsity ineligible players.

(also worth noting that since it is a JV team no stats count toward someone's varsity totals...thus say if someone on the team that is playing an ineligible player rushes for 600 yards in a game that isnt a record bc they did it on a JV team not a varsity....same goes with season totals when adding up career totals, the season played as a JV team wouldnt count toward varsity career totals...yes this stuff matters)

They have at least 1 player who isn't eligible playing but hes supposedly not gonna be playing during district. So Leman you're saying all those games should be jv games?

If a varsity ineligible player plays then it cant be a varsity team...see the paradox...thus it is a JV team. This might ruffle some coaches feathers but it is what it is and rules are rules. Ineligible players cant play on varsity teams, if you have one and play him you are either a JV team or are breaking the rules and should forfeit the game.

I believe Guthrie did this not to long ago so I will use them as an example here...Guthrie had idk like 7 or 8 players and needed the ineligible player(s) in order to field a team so they did and played their non-district schedule just the same...Granger ranked them as he would any team even though technically they would have to be a JV team by rule... they also informed all their opponents of the situation and they were ok with playing them. It is one of those weird things you will get in 6man.

Rules are pretty clear

Think about this...what would stop a team from fielding a 25 year old to win their non-district rivalry game...that's an ineligible player after all (Imagine Strawn starting several ineligible players like this against Gordon a few weeks ago LOL)
Point being there are good reasons for these rules

I had several conversations with people at the UIL about this in order to make sure I understood it correctly. The UIL also doesn't really care about non-district games the same way they would about district games obviously.

LOL cant believe I got roped into this topic again...

coaches in the past never did this or if they did they scheduled JV opponents to be above board and avoid all the crazy confusion this causes

Last word: I dont fault a school with 5-8 kids like Guthrie had to do for doing this in order to field 6 payers...but if you have enough to field a team and the ineligible player not play...then he should not play at all, other wise you are just breaking the rules. That's the literal truth no matter how you want to spin or sugar coat it. But if the opponent knows they are playing ineligible players and are ok with that then there's nothing you can really do about it if it is non-district.

If a varsity ineligible player plays then it cant be a varsity team...see the paradox...thus it is a JV team. This might ruffle some coaches feathers but it is what it is and rules are rules. Ineligible players cant play on varsity teams, if you have one and play him you are either a JV team or are breaking the rules and should forfeit the game.
Sounds like Mike needs to change the scores to be 1-0 losses then.

Back