Gustine Tigers

coach_gillespie

11-man fan
I just want to let it be known publicly how proud I am of these 6 individuals who showed their hearts every day, and came out and competed no matter the circumstance. In the day and age where some feel that it is okay to cancel a game with 7-10 players, these 6 men played all year long with the bare minimum: 6, and never cancelled a game. Our nurse wrote a poem that is very fitting for this group of young men and I felt it appropriate to share with the sixman community. This was read at the final pep rally of the year. Once again I want to convey how proud I am of these 6 men for sticking out this football season, and keeping football tradition alive in Gustine Texas.

Coach Gillespie

The Lonely Six

“History in the Making”
Written just for you guys…
By
Pam Baugh
November 8, 2013
You’re the best!

“So how’s your football team this year?”

Said Dr. Byrd into my ear…

I thought a moment and smiled with pride…

“The Lonely Six” have fought and tried.

Tried to play when others quit…

Tried even harder when Coach Copeland had a fit. J

“You have to be Here…You have to be There.”

When there’s only six…you have to be EVERYWHERE!!!

These brave souls…day in and day out…

Have come to practice and didn’t pout.

They’ve worked; they’ve lifted; they’ve sweated, and had to run…

(Boy did they have to run!) J

They bore the load, while others just quit to have fun.

“Well what do you do if someone gets hurt? “

“Sprains an ankle, pulls a hammy or does a face-plant in the dirt?”

You’d think they’d come out…and get special care,...

But… we just pick ‘em up…dust ‘em off…

And they beg the coach to send ‘em back in there!

What is their motivation, you say?

What kept them there when the rest didn’t stay?

From deep within…something arose inside…

You may say determination…But I call it “Tiger Pride!”

For there’s a thing called TRADITION here in Gustine…

The whole community at the football stadium on Friday nights…

Tradition shouldn’t be considered a burden to be carried by the few…

It should be something we’re proud to be a part of…

They’ll have a chance to pass on tradition to their kids one day…

How will they tell the story of the 2013 Tiger football team?

“I was just a freshman, back in the days…

But I was so good…I played BOTH ways!”

So, unselfishly, these six… They work hard and they play…

Not so much for themselves… As for the fans, their families and the

Help me as we honor those seeking to keep our Tradition alive…

Say a thank-you…shake a hand……cheer them on tonight…

And always remember…It could of been just FIVE!

So raise a “Tiger Paw” now in support and salute…

Thank you #2.…A.J. Escamilla

Thank you #10…Baltasar Badillo

Thank you #13…Clinton Gregory

Thank you #15…Armando Aguilar

Thank you #20…Trenton Littlejohn

Thank you #34…Dustin Russell

For keeping our Tradition of Friday night football alive…

For fighting like only Gustine Tigers can…with heart and with drive…

For “stepping up” when we needed you…

Just giving it your all and doing what you do.

You’ve just made history and we’re all so proud!!!

And for all this…we thank you, and we love you…

Now let’s all put our hands together and get LOUD!!!

Not cancelling,
giving your all,
finishing strong,
believing you can,
now you proved it.

That my friends is a successful season.

I pray to be that strong
when it's required of me.

These 6 men are undefeated in my book. 10-0, cause they won every time they stepped on the field. It was an honor to get to watch them play.

Shad Kline
Gordon

"Winning or losing is not the most important thing, it's the trying, the playing your hearts out, the pride that really matters in the long run. When you've done your best and played your hardest, that's all you can do, and that's something to be proud of.
When your team tries, and loses, you learn to love the trying instead of the winning. Then when your team wins, the victory is a rich reward, heaped up, pressed down, and running over." (stolen from a Texas Football magazine.)

And your team did win. Y'all are a bunch of winners.
Congratulations on an unforgettable "special" season.

I am so proud of the Gustine Tigers. The Poem was beautiful about these MIGHTY 6. I can't imagine 6 strong Men going through 10 games without a cancel. I feel the struggles, pain, being so committed to 6 man football. I know the town is so proud of you guys. All of you are winners to me.

I bet all those so-called experienced coaches
who cancelled scheduled games
out of fear of losing,
only having 7 or 8 players,
injuries,
or whatever other lame reason they could churn up,
prolly feel pretty sorry right about now.

Oh wait,
those kind would have to have a conscious first.

WOW! This story is KICK !!

These six and the poem by Ms. Baugh touched my heart down to its very core. I was headed to bed but how can I sleep after reading this.

I salute them; they exemplify rare courageous and guts and determination. Amazing.

Next time a player complains he's tired and needs a rest I may say: 'remember the story of the Gustine six'. Kickin!!

Everyone has character when things are easy and smooth.... Their parents must be so proud.

BE you took the words right out of mouth about these fine men and the Poem is going through my mind over and over. In my mind I'm watching these boys play that opponent with pride and lots of love from the fans. You can bet this is prayerful team. Praying the entire game goes through with any injuries with all Glory to God.

OH NO!!!!!!! I agree with Dogface....

Congrats to those players and coaches for the pride and guts to play each and every game...So many would have used the limited numbers to forfeit or cancel their games...

Great job Gustine Tigers..

Great Job Gustine Tigers. You've learned a lesson this year that will serve you well the rest of your life. Never give up. When the going gets tough, the tough get going and you proved just that. You're a winner!

I personally have a lot of respect for these kids. They were very respectful and never gave up. Very proud if the 6 players on that team!

Congratulations coach, team and Mrs. Baugh....Gustine, SixMan and Texas can be proud of you....Character counts...overcoming obstacles and working as a team when there is no relief coming for the entire year says bunches about your bunch....

Nomination for the Pioneer Spirit of the Year Award....

Thank you so very much for posting this thoughtful poem by your sweet teacher. This story brings together so clearly the true value of high school athletics. Pride is often a vice, but the pride you, your boys, and your community must feel is surely pleasing to God as it has as its foundation love for one another, selflessness, courage, and placing primary value on building the character of your young men. We all like to and play to win, but I can't imagine your boys will walk around town feeling less loved and respected than any of the boys who play on state championship teams. And that says so much about you, your coaching staff, and your community. And a special thank you to your poetic teacher. If more teachers had similar respect for what our boys give on the field, I believe they would get a lot more out of our boys in the classroom. Bravo Gustine. The future of your program looks bright indeed.

Back