Graham Harrell solidifies 3rd QB spot in GB (Update NOW #2)

freeagent

Six-man pro
Thinking is that Matt Flynn might be gone next year ... so Graham could be Aaron's backup in 2012 ...

Looks like Graham may be doing some furniture shopping to fix up that Green Bay apartment ...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/128160128.html

Packers quarterback Harrell solidifies hold on roster spot

Under the watchful eye of Packers head coach Mike McCarthy, third-string quarterback Graham Harrell has played solidly in training camp this year.
By Lori Nickel of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Aug. 21, 2011

Green Bay - James Jones took the two-second tour of Graham Harrell's place.

One big screen TV, hooked up to a video game. One floor-level rocking chair for gamers. Clothes hung on doorknobs.

An air mattress.

"Yeah, but it's a top-of-the-line air mattress," said Harrell, citing the $200 cost.

That's it.

That's your third-string Green Bay Packers quarterback living large, rolling to work in his 2003 Nissan Altima and coming home to a sparsely furnished basement apartment.

"He needs a good girl to come around," Jones, a veteran receiver, said with a laugh.

Or maybe an indication that he's going to stick around.

With his performance so far, it is possible that Harrell might have a reason to hang up a Home Sweet Home sign in Green Bay.

In limited, late action against Cleveland and Arizona in preseason games, Harrell played very well. He completed 18 of 31 passes for 181 yards and one touchdown.

He looked comfortable rolling out in the bootleg or picking up a first down on the run. In a recent practice he wowed everyone with a 50-yard post throw to Tori Gurley.

"He's always thrown a good ball, but he's starting to understand the offense a lot more," said Jones. "It's a 360-degree change from last year to this year, especially when he gets in the shotgun; it's like being back at Texas Tech."

Harrell's teammates say he's at his best when he's in the shotgun, the formation that helped him accrue 134 passing touchdowns and 1,403 completions at Texas Tech - the best in NCAA history - and 15,793 career passing yards, second best in NCAA history. Even behind Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn, Harrell's ability is starting to stand out.

"The third team can be hectic, but when we go in the gun in two-minute, that's how he played at Texas Tech," said rookie receiver Randall Cobb. "That's his bread and butter."

Harrell looked even better against Arizona than he did in Cleveland, where he lost possession a couple of times. Getting sacked three times didn't help - one hit came from Harrell's blind side. Quarterbacks coach Tom Clements said Harrell just needed to be more conscious of ball security and that comes with experience.

"We had four balls on the ground when he was in there and I think two were his fault and two were not," said Clements.

Against the Cardinals, the protection was better and so was Harrell. He led a drive that resulted in a 6-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Kerry Taylor, sealing a victory.

It's a thrill for him, especially since Harrell might not be here if it weren't for another NFL coach.

Even with 20 games passing for more than 400 yards with Texas Tech, Harrell wasn't drafted. Just as Rodgers had to debunk some theories about Jeff Tedford-coached quarterbacks, Harrell may have to bypass a stereotype of quarterbacks who thrived in a Mike Leach spread offense.

"So many quarterbacks have come out of that kind of system, Leach's offense in particular at Texas Tech, and all had great numbers," said Harrell. "For one reason or another, they didn't catch on in the league and they were all good quarterbacks."

At the combine, Harrell struck up a conversation with Carl Smith, then the quarterbacks coach in Cleveland who has since moved on to Seattle. Smith brought Harrell to the Browns as a free agent for a minicamp in 2009, but they already had a Brady Quinn-Derek Anderson quarterback battle.

So Harrell headed to the Canadian Football League's Saskatchewan Roughriders. He was on their injured list, the CFL's weird way of keeping players, especially American players, on the payroll so they aren't claimed elsewhere. But he was healthy and practiced all season and said the bigger field helped expand his range.

"It forced you to make bigger throws," said Harrell. "One of the knocks of Texas Tech quarterbacks - me or anyone out of there - is that we don't make big throws, don't want to go deep. You go to Canada with a 65-yard wide field, you have to make the big throw."

The Browns called him back for a minicamp in 2010 again, but the numbers were against Harrell. He was let go. And then an unusual thing happened.

"Carl Smith said, 'I'm going to get you somewhere,' and he called six teams to get tryouts lined up," said Harrell. "One of the teams he called was Green Bay. He knows Dom Capers pretty well and he called Dom. In this business, you don't get people to do that for you too much."

Capers is the defensive coordinator in Green Bay, and Harrell landed in Green Bay in May 2010. He spent most of last season on the practice squad until he was called up in mid-December to the active roster when Rodgers suffered his concussions. He didn't play in any game.

Then the lockout offered a potential setback. Harrell missed all of coach Mike McCarthy and Clements' quarterback school, instruction that Rodgers and Flynn found valuable in their development.

"The lack of the off-season probably did hurt him the most. Matt and Aaron had been through our off-season," said Clements. "It's a tough thing to refine the offense. It was hardest on Graham. The off-season would have been important for him."

In quarterback school, the Packers go over the offense slowly, reviewing basics and instilling philosophies. They may work on a single drill in a 50-minute session.

There's no time for that now in training camp, said Clements, so they've taken an abbreviated version, going over a drill or two a day and getting in a little extra meeting time.

Harrell seems to have responded. His off-season mostly consisted of running around with younger brother Clark. They'd lift in the morning and play tennis in the afternoon and basketball at night before Harrell would crash on Clark's couch in Abilene, Texas.

"Every now and then I think Clark's wife would get tired of me, but she's a good sport," said Harrell.

But Harrell is always around football-thinking family members. His father, Sam, was a high school coach, so dedicated to the game that even after he was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis he coached his kids from a golf cart. Harrell's older brother Zac is also a coach.

Football is in Graham's blood and that explains why the no-huddle shotgun remains an asset, because Harrell can fall back on his instincts and attack, keeping a watchful eye for a blitz to get him off his rhythm.

"It's a lot of fun going no-huddle. You get the tempo up and the defense on their heels," said Harrell. "Other guys can feel that too. Last year I was just trying to repeat what the coach told me and think, where is everyone going to be. Now, as soon as I hear it, I know what I'm doing."

And where he's staying.

Got no use for this clown. I grew up in Lubbock as a kid and I am a die-hard Texas Tech fan. I have enjoyed watch the style of football Leach had, but Graham Harrell is a useless jackwagon. Anyone who can walk off the field after throwing 5 picks and flip-off the crowd is a joke. I dont wish an ill-will to the guy but he is a joke.

smokeyjoe53":2fc92cyr said:
But he is a Packer now so all is forgiven.

You got it, brother.

The Press-Gazette ran an article (which I didn't link) where the question is now if the Packers should trade Matt Flynn (Aaron's backup). Matt was pretty darn impressive vs New England and has done pretty well in preseason. He's a free agent after this season and the expectation is that some team will offer him the moon, stars and a couple planets tossed in and the Packers will be unable or unwilling to match the offer. A trade would give the Pack something in return. But then again, the Pack is loaded at most positions and with the new salary cap rules, what would a trade bring you (remember, this is a team that won the Super Bowl with 15 players on injured reserve; St. Vincents Hospital in Green Bay came in second to Aaron Rodgers for the teams MVP award ... and yes, there is a St. Vincent's Hospital in Green Bay ... it was there before Lombardi arrived ... my momma worked as a nurse there for years and passed away in a hospice room at the hospital ...which from her room you could look out across the Fox River and see Lambeau Field).

Harrell has also impressed the Packers coaching staff as well in pre-season, but they are under no illusion that he is ready to be Aaron's #1 backup this year; maybe next year.

Neither Flynn nor Harrell are ready to take over the Packers, but are adequate backups (esp. Flynn) if Aaron gets his bell rung again or gets hurt.

PS... when we had our clinic here in Seguin, Coach Parham from Sterling City was telling about the camp he was at in Abilene earlier in the week ...Graham was among the guests/staff/whatever and was happily showing the rock (aka Super Bowl ring) he got in Green Bay about a week before hand. Not bad for holding a clipboard.

Cowboys should have picked him up instead of McGee. Kitna wont last forever and they could have groomed him to be a great back up to Romo. I loved Harrell man!

cowboy91":38tncrnt said:
Got no use for this clown. I grew up in Lubbock as a kid and I am a die-hard Texas Tech fan. I have enjoyed watch the style of football Leach had, but Graham Harrell is a useless jackwagon. Anyone who can walk off the field after throwing 5 picks and flip-off the crowd is a joke. I dont wish an ill-will to the guy but he is a joke.

I was at that game, and it was an extremely disappointing experience for me. Looking back, I've come to this:

His response was mild considering he was 1) 20 years old 2) having the worst day of his life, in front of 50,000 people 3)who were directing obscenities toward him.

Cut him some slack...

he made a very bad choice that day, but he has heart miles and miles of heart. i support him and even though i'm not a pack fan i hope for him the best, he didnt get any respect neither did zac thomas but he worked out ok, bill bates was never big enough or fast enough but they all have and had heart...

lifegatesports":2i7vxpg8 said:
Red_Devil_DDS":2i7vxpg8 said:
Cut him some slack...

Long time, no hear, Devil Dentist. Been busy drillin' or somethin'?

Goodness, yes. I've been pulling teeth like crazy!

Eagles303":2i7vxpg8 said:
McGee >> Harrell

cowboys did the right thing

Packers didn't use (waste) a draft pick on a career bench-warmer, so who's the smart one now? Yes, I concede that I'm a Tech homer, but GH wasn't worth drafting, if that was going to be your rebuttal.

Not for nothing, but Zach Thomas flipped off a crowd on one of his really good days. He had just intercepted a pass for a TD against an apposing team and chose to run toward their fans in the crowd and flip them off.

He made a bad choice too and is certainly not someone I'd hold up as an example of a good Red Raider.

lubbock,
Zac is and was a great guy and man you dont want him on your team or in your home that is your business but im going to bet you have done more than a few things you are not proud of.. and one more comment be careful of the stones you throw living in that glass house.

Lubbock":3v6zk33g said:
Not for nothing, but Zach Thomas flipped off a crowd on one of his really good days. He had just intercepted a pass for a TD against an apposing team and chose to run toward their fans in the crowd and flip them off.

He made a bad choice too and is certainly not someone I'd hold up as an example of a good Red Raider.

Lubbock, I agree with you Zach did flip the "apposing" or "opposing" crowd but it wasnt his home crowd. I believe the game you are talking about was against A&M and I wouldnt dare hold it against him if it was A&M. I'd flip them.....oh nevermind. I had an issue with Graham because he flipped off his home crowd. But it is water under the bridge.

speaking from a personal point of view... I never did anything stupid when I was 20.

at least that I remember.

granger":2zkv6f05 said:
speaking from a personal point of view... I never did anything stupid when I was 20.

at least that I remember.

Or at least it wasn't in front of 50,000 people and folks watching back at home ...

By the way, the Pack is 8-0. I'm a happy boy tonight.

Seems the Packers made this move to keep Graham instead of losing him to the Buffalo Bills ...

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette ... |FRONTPAGE

Notebook: Packers promote Harrell to roster rather than lose him to Bills
Pete Dougherty and Kareem Copeland
Green Bay Press-Gazette
December 8, 2011

The Buffalo Bills forced the Packers’ hand on quarterback Graham Harrell this week.

The Bills offered Harrell a spot on their 53-man roster, so the Packers had to decide whether to promote him from their practice squad or let him go. In a sign that they view him as a possible No. 2 quarterback next year after Matt Flynn’s presumed departure in free agency, the Packers offered Harrell a spot on their 53, and he chose to stay with them rather than go to Buffalo.

“It just shows that they want to keep you around, that’s nice,” Harrell said. “It’s a good thing to be wanted. (Tuesday) was kind of stressful day trying to decide what’s the best situation. But it’s a good thing to be wanted, and I’ve always really enjoyed it here and am happy to still be here.”

Last year the Packers also promoted Harrell from their practice squad to their 53 for the final three regular-season games and playoffs after starting quarterback Aaron Rodgers sustained a concussion. The move this week suggests that coach Mike McCarthy still think Harrell has a future with the team.

“I hope so,” Harrell said. “This place has been great. I’ve enjoyed every day I’ve been here and I don’t think you can put a price on day-to-day happiness. More than anything, that played as big a role as anything. Just being in a great organization and an organization that treats people right, and being happy here had a big part to do with (choosing the Packers).”

Said McCarthy: “He’s someone that’s been in our program now for almost two years. I’m obviously favorable to the quarterback position and what he adds to that (meeting) room and to the locker room, he’s a very likable young man. We think he has a promising future.”

Graham spent a little time in my home town (Two Rivers, Wis.) last weekend for a Packers charity basketball game ...

bilde

Story: http://www.htrnews.com/article/20120512 ... N-Sports|s

Back