Girls 1A State Tournament

Old Bearkat

Six-man expert
I just noticed that the girls are playing the state finals this week. Garden City and D'Hanis play tomorrow and Nazareth and Lipan play tomorrow also.

It should be some good games. Only team I have seen play is Nazareth and they are good. I don't think they are as good as last year. With 19 state championships I would have to pick them to win state. I visited with some of the parents/ fans during one of their games and they are a class act.

Because of the growth of South by Southwest (which usually starts a couple days after the girls tournament ends but runs through the boys UIL tournament the following week), hotel rooms in Austin have priced themselves out of the market for UIL basketball. Downtown Austin hotels run as high as $500 a night and some schools have had to stay as far away as Round Rock and Horseshoe Bay.

I had a friend of mine come to Austin last year for a college visit during SXSW and stayed in Buda at $200 a night.

The UIL tennis tournament moved to College Station due to the demolition of the UT Tennis Center; both volleyball and wrestling have moved to Garland (the former because the tournament fell during the same weekend as the Formula One race in Austin; see note above re: room rates).

UIL hasn't made any commitments for basketball beyond 2015. From what I've heard and read, San Antonio would like to have it permanently; they figure the tournament will bring over $40 million to town.

I think I read that Fox Sports Southwest will broadcast games online (not sure if that's just the finals or all games) except for the 6A girls final which will be on the cable channel.

I read that all games with be on the web, only game that will be on tv is the 6a championship. I enjoy watching 1a and 2a schools play. Hopefully next year fox will televise all the games.

Lipan and Nazerath won their games this morning. I thought the first game was pretty one-sided till I saw the second game. Naz was up 25 to 3 at the half.

Back