Game of the Century?

2020-D1 semifinals Borden County vs Sterling City semifinals went to overtime Sterling City scored on 4th down and still had to make extra point kick to force overtime

Championship games
1996 Gordon 51 Whitharral 50
2021-DI Westbrook 72 May 66 final play of game had the officials ruled it a catch May would have had to make the extra points to win.

Last edited:
@51eleven while this isnt game of the century or even the best game of 1999 it is for sure a great game that I just got the film of and thought you might like

1999 Strawn 43 Richland Springs 42
- Down 9 Strawn scores late in the 4th facing a 4th and goal from the 15 on a pass play the receive appears to fumble in the endzone and recover right before it goes out of bounds (52:20 mark), makes the PAT kick to get within 1 point with 3:13 left.
-Then gets a safety on RS's first play of the possession later to go ahead by 1
-Strawn then fumbles the free kick on the return to give RS the ball back and then holds them to 4 and out and then runs the cock out to win

First of all, GO HORNS GO!!!

Back to Subject Post, thanks, Leeman Saunders, great game! Watched it all. Great example of a David & Goliath match-up.

I even liked the colors of the losing teams' uniforms, a lot.

A contender for the All-Time best ever game has to be Gordon vs Panther Creek Quarterfinal in 1999. Not only would the winner be a heavy favorite to win it all but the winner would also earn the leg up as the team of the 90s. Gordon had been 45ed by a team Panther Creek 45ed early in the season and PC had rung Gordon up in a scrimmage to start the year making them heavy favorites. Coaches Mitch Lee vs Nelson Campbell in a back and forth game that had it all in the game and leading up to it. PC's top RB was a transfer from Gordon and PC had ended Gordon's back to back title bid two years before. In a twist of fate late in the 4th PC, with the lead, turns it over one play after their runner trips and falls on his own on the Gordon 5yd line. If PC had converted the drive they probably would have won. Gordon scores to go ahead then picks off PC and puts the nail in the coffin with one more score.

A contender for the All-Time best ever game has to be Gordon vs Panther Creek Quarterfinal in 1999. Not only would the winner be a heavy favorite to win it all but the winner would also earn the leg up as the team of the 90s. Gordon had been 45ed by a team Panther Creek 45ed early in the season and PC had rung Gordon up in a scrimmage to start the year making them heavy favorites. Coaches Mitch Lee vs Nelson Campbell in a back and forth game that had it all in the game and leading up to it. PC's top RB was a transfer from Gordon and PC had ended Gordon's back to back title bid two years before. In a twist of fate late in the 4th PC, with the lead, turns it over one play after their runner trips and falls on his own on the Gordon 5yd line. If PC had converted the drive they probably would have won. Gordon scores to go ahead then picks off PC and puts the nail in the coffin with one more score.
I wish the message board from 1999 was still accessible. NO ONE was giving Gordon a chance in this game. Panther Creek was the #1 team all season (Im pretty sure). I wrote a pretty detailed post about with the game picking Gordon with the "Gordon has a chance...Chance Kite" title/line in it and picked Gordon to win based on a big game from RB Chance Kite (#32)...yes Lyle was the stud of that team and had a big game...but Kite had two big TDs I recall at key moments, a long TD and a Kick off return for a TD.

I always like to take the time to talk about how good Kite was as he gets lost sometimes bc Lyle was so good

@51eleven while this isnt game of the century or even the best game of 1999 it is for sure a great game that I just got the film of and thought you might like

1999 Strawn 43 Richland Springs 42
- Down 9 Strawn scores late in the 4th facing a 4th and goal from the 15 on a pass play the receive appears to fumble in the endzone and recover right before it goes out of bounds (52:20 mark), makes the PAT kick to get within 1 point with 3:13 left.
-Then gets a safety on RS's first play of the possession later to go ahead by 1
-Strawn then fumbles the free kick on the return to give RS the ball back and then holds them to 4 and out and then runs the cock out to win

Thanks Leman. After no Friday night games to listen to or watch for the first time since August, and no College games on Saturday I cared about this was just what the Dr. ordered. Because of an automobile accident involving family members I didn't see a game live in all of 1999. I didn't understand much of what the stadium announcer said but I did char the name Popham. I did see those brothers play I guess the next year or maybe 01? If I remember right, I think this was against Gordon, one broke his leg and the other one was injured earlier in the game? One thing in this video I've never seen was Strawn punt, four times! RS punted 2x. To come from behind and win on a safety was cool.

Back