Fumbling on Fourth Down

CoachBurger

11-man fan
If a player on the offensive team fumbles behind the sticks, and then that player recovers the fumble in FRONT of the sticks, shouldnt the ball be dead where he fumbled it? in our game this exact scenario happened and the opposing team was awarded a first down. It is my understanding that if the ball is fumbled forward on 4th, then it is dead at the spot of the fumble. Luckily this did not cost us a win but it was a bad call in my opinion. would love to get clarification.

Thanks

One question, was it a fumble or a backward pass?

Assuming it was a fumble recovered by a different player, on fourth down, only the player that fumbles the ball may recover and advance the ball. If another player recovers then the ball it is dead where recovered, if it behind the spot of the fumble the ball remains at the spot of recovery, if it is beyond the spot of the fumble it is returned to the spot of the fumble.

If the ball had been recovered by the fumbler, then there are no rules about advancing whether the ball is fumbled forward or backward. Another issue is if the ball is fumbled and it goes out of bounds.

If the ball is fumbled and goes out of bounds, whether it is 1st or 4th down if the ball is fumbled forward out of bounds then the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble, if it is fumbled backward out of bounds then the ball is placed at the out of bounds spot.

The reason I asked if it was a backward pass is that the provision doesn't cover muff's on 4th down. So if the QB takes the snap and pitches back to a RB/etc (backwards pass) who muffs it, anyone still can recover and advance since the ball wasn't fumbled. Same as with the snap to a QB from center, since that is also a backward pass.

Ok. It was a fumble behind the stick, recovered by a different player, so the ball should have been dead. We thought it was the same player but it was not.

the ball should have been placed at the fumbled spot if a different player covered it if you thought the same player recovered it it is spotted where he recovered it at

The ruling on the field was that it was recovered by the fumbler. If it was, the refs got the call right. If it was recovered by a different player on the offensive team then the ball should have been placed at the spot of the fumble.

it was a forward fumble, recovered by a different player, on 4th and 3. fumble happened at LOS. Blown call by the officials. Luckily it didnt cost us.

The fumbler is the only one on the offensive team that is able to recover his fumble forward of the fumble spot. Where he recovers it doesn't matter. That's why it's called a "fourth down fumble rule". The only one that can recover a fourth down fumble is the fumbler. Here is the rule: When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is caught or recovered in advance of the fumble by a Team A player OTHER THAN THE FUMBLER, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is recovered behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot. It doesn't sound like the refs blew the call at all the way you are describing it. With the exception of if the fumbler is the one that actually recovered his own fumble. That is not your question however. You are asking if on fourth down a fumbler can recover his own fumble forward of where he originally fumbled the ball. The answer to that question is "yes". I hope this clears things up.

Yes the refs ruled that it was recovered by the same player. however on the film, the player (#5) is tackled and fumbles and our guy is laying on top of him. the ball is then recovered by #10. The call was that the fumbler recovered his own, however it is very clear on film that he did not. The ref made the wrong ruling, but it is good to know that the fumbler can recover his own. that was the original question.

I had a similar situation some years back. My quarterback got the snap cleanly from center, fumbled the ball, & my running back picked it up & clearly ran for a 1st down. We all thought it was first & goal on around the 1 yard line. The refs turned around & called 1st down going the other way. They explained it's ONLY on 4th down, no other down. It was a district game, late in the 4th quarter, & we ended up losing by 6, 33-39. It was a heartbreaking loss!!! I still don't agree with it. The ball was possessed by 1 player & advanced by another. How did a fumble ever become a dead ball??? Things to ponder I guess...life goes on.

Coach Cyr

This is a quote from the rule book...

Rule 7.2.2.a, exception 2

Caught or Recovered
ARTICLE 2.
a.When a backward pass or fumble is caught or recovered by any inbounds player, the ball continues in play.
Exceptions:
1. Rule 8-3-2-d-5 (Team A fumble on the try)
2. On fourth down before a change of team possession, when a Team A fumble is caught or recovered by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead. If the catch or recovery is beyond the spot of the fumble, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble. If the catch or recovery is behind the spot of the fumble, the ball remains at the spot of the catch or recovery.

Back