Frito Pie & Texas Football -- SA Express News

freeagent

Six-man pro
Thought I'd share a column from Roy Bragg and the SA Express News (8-30) which should warm the cockles of most of our hearts ... almost as much as a nice hot, Frito Pie ...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/art ... 824545.php

Bragg: Frito pie without S.A. is just cheesy

By Roy Bragg
San Antonio Express News

Published 12:35 p.m., Wednesday, August 29, 2012

When I wrote the unofficial "Puro San Antonio" newcomers guide recently, I forgot to mention the most important thing in the world.

I remembered it as I made my way through the crowd one day last week at the Little League World Series games in South Williamsport, Pa.

Half of Williamsport was in the stands or volunteering. Lots of local cops were milling about, doing nothing. Clusters of middle school girls were bouncing around the grounds while clusters of clueless pre-teen boys followed them. Most of the parents were there to have fun, but a small group of them were parents of players. They were all wound up pretty tightly.

I was hungry, so I checked out the concession stand. They had a lot of different types of food, but nothing appealed to me.

I was craving Frito pie and that's when it hit me.

This is the week that kids go back to school. And from the parched West Texas desert, to the crowded cities and their cloned suburbs, across the South Texas plains, up in the Texas Hill Country and behind the Pine Curtain of East Texas, high school football returns.

There are 145 games scheduled for South Texas this weekend. The rest of the teams start up the next week.

Texas high school football is one of the last great Lone Star traditions that hasn't been ruined by the Legislature or diluted by out-of-staters.

If you're new to town, understand this: We aren't kidding when we say that the entire state lives for high school football. Small towns fill their stadiums. Suburbs show up en masse. Even urban city schools with bad teams can expect a few hundred to attend.

Everything that's good about normal Texas life is on display under the bright lights of Friday night: bored middle school students; bored cops; excited players, band members and cheering personnel; overworked band parents; tightly wound football parents; and guys like me, who show up to heckle the referees and loudly second-guess the hometown coach.

And of all the fixtures of high school football, there is one that has direct ties to San Antonio - Frito pie.

It is the culinary gem that can be found at every concession stand at every outdoor event worth a dang. It is the fuel that keeps people cheering when their team is down by 50 points. It is an essential component of Texas culture and cuisine. It may not be food of the gods, but it is the food of God's country.

Frito pie is a core component of every real Texan's diet. It mixes cold junk food with hot junk food, adding in a couple of basic food groups for good measure.

And if all is right, that Frito pie is served as intended: a scoop of canned chili dumped into a Frito bag that has been slit open sideways. It is then topped with shredded cheese, chopped onions and jalapeno slices. (Side note to newcomers: Frito pie and chili dogs are the only valid uses of canned chili.)

Last year, the website craftzine.com proclaimed a new food invention that it dubbed "The Walking Taco," but it was really the recipe for Frito pie. Every website that printed the recipe was taken to task by normal people who knew the real name.

There are several versions of the origin of Frito pie. One holds that it was invented at a Santa Fe, N.M., lunch counter. Another is that the mom of Fritos mastermind Charles Doolin came up with it.

The only certainty is that Doolin got the idea for Fritos - the only chip that can maintain its structural integrity under a dollop of chili - from San Antonio.

Back in 1932, Doolin went into a cafe here and purchased an order of corn chips. Doolin liked them so much, he bought the recipe and began his company.

To summarize: You can't have Texas without high school football. And you can't have true high school football without Frito pie. And you can't have Frito pie without Fritos.

And that means you can't have Fritos without San Antonio.

I don't have kids with any involvement in football, cheerleading, drill team or band, but I have season tickets to the closest team. And I will be there next week.

And, yes, I will be eating Frito pie.

[email protected]. Read Bragg's blog at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/atlarge. Follow @roybragg on Twitter.

Yeah, the yankess up here have gone nuts over the "walking taco" and cannot believe me when I tell them it has been a Texas concession stand staple for 50+ years and is really known as frito pie.

I love that line "It mixes cold junk food with hot junk food, adding in a couple of basic food groups for good measure."

Old Bearkat":2feh94p1 said:
Yeah, the yankess up here have gone nuts over the "walking taco" and cannot believe me when I tell them it has been a Texas concession stand staple for 50+ years and is really known as frito pie.

I love that line "It mixes cold junk food with hot junk food, adding in a couple of basic food groups for good measure."

Never had cold frito's, room temperature maybe, but never cold . . . Anyway moot point as the HOT chili melts the cheese and warms everything and everyone up nicely . . .
And how do they get off calling Frito's junk food?, or chili for that matter, damn yankees . . .

BTW.....I kept forgetting to post it this summer, but when we went out to visit our Marine sons in California this last June, we went to an Angels game one night. I had the best nachos I have ever had. For $8, you got a 6"X6" paper trough piled to overflowing with chips, cheese, chili, peppers, onions, olives, sweet corn, black beans, and pinto beans. An excellent meal all in it's own.

C'mon Pete, you've never been to a game in November-December when the frito's and chili were cold even in the concession stand?

Very true. "Room" temperature come playoff time may be what some of us Texans consider to be just downright cold. Guess you could put a stick in it and call it a fritopiesickle.

With My dietary restrictions I would need to frequent a c-stand that followed the recipe of….. corn chips (baked not fried) chili (turkey but tofu preferred) cheese (100% fat free) organic onions and jalapenos. Temperature would make no diff as my experience has been that the 100% fat free cheese refuses to melt unless you go above 1500 degrees Celsius. MMMMM now that’s fine dining.

PopeBurford":1ukjvz3q said:
With My dietary restrictions I would need to frequent a c-stand that followed the recipe of….. corn chips (baked not fried) chili (turkey but tofu preferred) cheese (100% fat free) organic onions and jalapenos. Temperature would make no diff as my experience has been that the 100% fat free cheese refuses to melt unless you go above 1500 degrees Celsius. MMMMM now that’s fine dining.

Surely your old ticker could withstand an occasional lapse with real PBCP.....

Rule Texas, home of the bobcats, and a fair frito pie.

Not totally fair to be trying to judge frito pies as the tasters still are not at 100% but this is sixman football and ya got to step it up on game day. give them points for presentation, had the interesting addition of some chopped tomatoes and it looked really appetizing. The chili was hot as was the PBCP, and thank goodness the fritos were this years batch not some left overs from last season.

Can't tolerate the jalapenos yet so they were absent on my request but the onions were finely chopped and flavorful as white onions can get. Football buddy said there was to much cheese on his, not sure how that would be possible, mine had plenty to coat the boat after most of the chips were gone.

All in all, pretty good frito pie. Needs some minor tweaks, real cheese would be an improvement, purple onions in lieu of the white ones. And get some dang coffee in the c-stand.

Back