Forgotten Great Six-man Football Games

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
For those that might not know I run a youtube channel dedicated to preserving and sharing six-man football films (and even have some 8man and 11man films as well).

One topic I always love is the topic of "greatest games" and love asking people about what was the best or greatest game they saw in person. I think most of us who have been around the sport the last 25-30 years can name the best of the best...like the 1996 State "5th Down" Game or the 2001 Richland Springs v Woodson Semi-Final game or the 2003 Semi-Final game when Strawn beat Richland Springs on the final play of the game. All three you can watch on the Six-Man Films youtube channel.

I wanted to post a list of some games that were great but have fallen under the radar so to speak. So here are a few with links to the film for you all to enjoy. Keep checking back as I will post one or two a day.

I will also try to plug that everyone should subscribe to the channel to get updates when more are added and please comment on games you played in or remember or enjoyed watching and learning about that maybe your dad or your coach played in!

1984 Semi-Final Newcastle 63 Abbott 61
Abbott took a 40-14 lead into halftime in complete control. Newcastle rallied in the second half outscoring Abbott 49-21 with the game winner coming with 10 seconds left in the game with a 1-yard TD run by Bruce Bailey and a 1pt conversion via a pass and catch by the Spitzer twins Ty and Todd. Unfortunately, the game film runs out with about 1-minute left in the game…I suspect this might be Abbott’s copy and they recorded over the ending but that’s just my theory. James Benson was the stand out for Abbott scoring 3 rushing TDs, 1 receiving, threw a TD pass, kicked 3 PATs and threw for a 1pt PAT. For Newcastle Ty Spitzer rushed for 208 yards with 1 TD, Todd Spitzer threw for 146 yards with 3 TD passes, Bruce Bailey rushed for 3 TDs and caught another (Abilene Reporter News, 12-2-1984).

Last edited:
A forgotten great game...

1992 Quarter-Final: Panther Creek 70 Cherokee 68

In a rematch of a week one game where Cherokee defeated Panther Creek 26-14, Panther Creek would pull off an upset 70-68 win over the Indians in the third round of the playoffs in dramatic fashion.

Cherokee was in complete control early and took a comfortable 50-24 lead into the locker room at halftime. Cherokee managed just 6 points in the 3rd quarter and with Panther Creek scoring quickly in the 4th quarter drew within two points down 56-54. The two schools exchanged TDs with Cherokee missing their PAT and Panther Creek converting theirs to take their first lead 70-62. However, with 2:38 left to play Cherokee drove down the field and scored with 22 seconds left to play. Panther Creek running back Monty Bouldin gave maximum effort diving as if he was falling on a grenade to save his teammates and blocked the would be tying PAT kick and saving the game for the Panthers. Panther Creek would use this a fuel to mercy rule district rival Christoval in the Semi-Finals and then upset Fort Hancock in the State Championship game. Quarterback Chad Humphries was 25-48 for 426 yards with 5 TDs passing for Panther Creek and Monty Bouldin who blocked the critical PAT kick, scored several touchdowns including the game winner.
(I know one current coach for sure that played in this game...)

This one may not be as forgotten as it probably ranks in the top game of the last 30 years...also I swear it single handedly made a lot more coaches kick onside kicks more.
(this is probably going to be the longest writeup for one of these I do)
1994 Quarter-Final Balmorhea 71 Guthrie 70

“They don’t have endings like this in movies, it would be too unbelievable.” – Chris Gove, The Odessa American

I think a solid case could be made that 1994 was the best year for six-man football in the state of Texas, super competitive throughout, first real year of The Huntress Report and rankings, a great state championship with the underdog winning, and some instant classic great games…with this game probably topping the list.

The undefeated #1 ranked Guthrie Jaguars were riding high coming off a come from behind win over Lazbuddie when they faced off with Balmorhea in Stanton for their quarter-finals showdown. Guthrie would have just 9 players in uniform (two of their 11 suffering injuries the week before) while Balmorhea would have 17 players suited out.

The game was close and hard fought through out. Guthrie lead 22-8 at the end of the first quarter and with Balmorhea’s offense waking up in the second held a slim 42-30 lead at halftime.

Balmorhea found their wind in the second half and entering the third quarter cut the Jaguar lead down to five trailing 56-51 by the end of the third. Shortly after the start of the final quarter the Bears took their first lead going up 59-56 and extending it to 65-56 with 4:55 left in the game. Guthrie did not give up. With 2:23 on the clock the Guthrie cut the lead down to 65-62 and then their defense came up with the biggest play of the game (at that point) when on the Bears ensuing possession and facing a 4th and four stopped Balmorhea two yards short of the first down marker for a turnover on downs and a chance to win the game with 55 seconds left. Sure enough Seth Moorhouse hauled in a 31-yard pass from Roy Fuentes with Fuentes adding the PAT kick giving Guthrie a 70-65 lead with almost no time left for Balmorhea to manage a miracle…ALMOST no time.

With 11 seconds left to play and Guthrie beaming with the likelihood of advancing one step closer to a state title berth, the Jaguars booted the kickoff deep just short of making it to the endzone. Balmorhea’s Martin Sanchez settled under it and returned the kickoff 78 yards for the game winning touchdown as time expired.

That turn of events in the last 11 seconds stuck in the mind of many coaches and from that point on many elected to kick onside rather than risking the chance of a big kickoff return and possible suffering the same fate that Guthrie did back in 1994.

Leman I didn't look for this one on your you tube channel but found it on you tube. "Just" bi district but one of the top five for me I've seen live. Richland Springs had won state undefeated the last 2 years in a row and were undefeated thus far in 2008. They led 50-46 at the half over Strawn. The Hounds led 69-58 at the end of the third. RS scored and made it 69-66. Strawn scored and made it 77-66. With 1:20 left RS scored and brought it to 77-72. Of course they went with an onside kick, which Strawn ran back to make it 83-72, a two score game with 1:16 to go. The Hounds sealed the deal by intercepting on RS first play from scrimmage afterwards then ran out the clock.
The first playoff game in Strawn's run to their second State Championship.

This one may not be as forgotten as it probably ranks in the top game of the last 30 years...also I swear it single handedly made a lot more coaches kick onside kicks more.
(this is probably going to be the longest writeup for one of these I do)
1994 Quarter-Final Balmorhea 71 Guthrie 70

“They don’t have endings like this in movies, it would be too unbelievable.” – Chris Gove, The Odessa American

I think a solid case could be made that 1994 was the best year for six-man football in the state of Texas, super competitive throughout, first real year of The Huntress Report and rankings, a great state championship with the underdog winning, and some instant classic great games…with this game probably topping the list.

The undefeated #1 ranked Guthrie Jaguars were riding high coming off a come from behind win over Lazbuddie when they faced off with Balmorhea in Stanton for their quarter-finals showdown. Guthrie would have just 9 players in uniform (two of their 11 suffering injuries the week before) while Balmorhea would have 17 players suited out.

The game was close and hard fought through out. Guthrie lead 22-8 at the end of the first quarter and with Balmorhea’s offense waking up in the second held a slim 42-30 lead at halftime.

Balmorhea found their wind in the second half and entering the third quarter cut the Jaguar lead down to five trailing 56-51 by the end of the third. Shortly after the start of the final quarter the Bears took their first lead going up 59-56 and extending it to 65-56 with 4:55 left in the game. Guthrie did not give up. With 2:23 on the clock the Guthrie cut the lead down to 65-62 and then their defense came up with the biggest play of the game (at that point) when on the Bears ensuing possession and facing a 4th and four stopped Balmorhea two yards short of the first down marker for a turnover on downs and a chance to win the game with 55 seconds left. Sure enough Seth Moorhouse hauled in a 31-yard pass from Roy Fuentes with Fuentes adding the PAT kick giving Guthrie a 70-65 lead with almost no time left for Balmorhea to manage a miracle…ALMOST no time.

With 11 seconds left to play and Guthrie beaming with the likelihood of advancing one step closer to a state title berth, the Jaguars booted the kickoff deep just short of making it to the endzone. Balmorhea’s Martin Sanchez settled under it and returned the kickoff 78 yards for the game winning touchdown as time expired.

That turn of events in the last 11 seconds stuck in the mind of many coaches and from that point on many elected to kick onside rather than risking the chance of a big kickoff return and possible suffering the same fate that Guthrie did back in 1994.
Why do I feel nauseous for Guthrie...geeze!

RS vs Aspermont '04. Fort Elliot upsetting Whitharral in '02 (Whit was defending their state championship, believe Hoskins was hurt opening kickoff.) Sand vs Fort Elliot '02 (the call that cost FE the game) Valley vs Paducah '04 (Intense game with nasty hits.(Valley went on to state to lose to RS) Throck upset by DTC at home before winning state. Valley vs Happy '13 or '14. (#1 Happy 45s Valley early in the season to only get 45d in the quarterfinals by Valley). BC vs Highland, state championship. Probably one of the best defensive games ever played by both teams.
There's more but, I sure would like to see some of those games!!

Sands vs IRA in 02 was more intense than any game I've ever witnessed! IRA led 24-8 at half and there were 2 final plays at the end of the 4th qtr. To elaborate sands with only a few seconds left in the 4th down 8 threw a bomb into the endzone that would go incomplete but a pass interference call would give sands one more shot from 20 something yards out with no time remaining on the clock! the quarterback delivered a pass to the running back in the right corner of the endzone for a completion and a TD! made the extra point and went on to overtime! sands struggled with first possession several plays finally to score a TD and make the extra point. IRA Scored on I think the 2nd or 3rd play and with a freshman kicker and pressure on his shoulders he missed and sadly IRA lost on a missed extra point! Amazing game to see!

Sands vs Fort Elliott 02, the call that cost FT the game? just curious? What happened
The QB from FE threw a TD pass to get ahead of Sands late, which would've been the game. The ref threw a flag, saying he crossed the line of scrimmage. There was picture proof that he was a yard behind, which cost them the game and season.

The QB from FE threw a TD pass to get ahead of Sands late, which would've been the game. The ref threw a flag, saying he crossed the line of scrimmage. There was picture proof that he was a yard behind, which cost them the game and season.
Wow! looks like Sands in 02 slipped to the semifinals by a baby hair!

Wow! looks like Sands in 02 slipped to the semifinals by a baby hair!
Yep, FE had a heck of a team that year. Don't think they beat Sanderson or Calvert. Unlike Sands, FE quit their football program even though they have the numbers to play. They're just a roundball school now. I believe they would've had the numbers to be D1 too which is still weird to me.

Sands vs IRA in 02 was more intense than any game I've ever witnessed! IRA led 24-8 at half and there were 2 final plays at the end of the 4th qtr. To elaborate sands with only a few seconds left in the 4th down 8 threw a bomb into the endzone that would go incomplete but a pass interference call would give sands one more shot from 20 something yards out with no time remaining on the clock! the quarterback delivered a pass to the running back in the right corner of the endzone for a completion and a TD! made the extra point and went on to overtime! sands struggled with first possession several plays finally to score a TD and make the extra point. IRA Scored on I think the 2nd or 3rd play and with a freshman kicker and pressure on his shoulders he missed and sadly IRA lost on a missed extra point! Amazing game to see!

This was actually the first game I thought of when I saw this thread. If I'm remembering correctly, Ira not only recovered their own kickoff, but they advanced it for a touchdown. I remember a teacher saying you can recover a kick, but can't advance it. I think that blunder actually helped Sands win that game in the end. I found the game on YouTube. That kickoff is at around 45:16.

I seem to recall Sands and Borden County being a great game that year, too. I was at the semifinal game against Sanderson in Big Lake. Too damn cold.

Last edited:
Not arguing or anything, just wanted to point out, that play was actually in the third quarter. I can't say whether he passed the line of scrimmage or not, I'm watching a very grainy video and the camera moves and zooms right before the QB passes. I will say as soon as the ball was thrown, Sands players pointed at the QB and from the angle of the video, it does kind of look like he was across the line of scrimmage. Found the video on youtube if you're interested. The play in question starts around 38:25.

Back