Field

Rule 1-2 of the NCAA book covers the field requirements in depth, but here are some highlights.

Lines must be white, although goal lines may be a contrasting color. All lines and hash marks must be visible. Anything white or decorative markings in the end zones must be at least 4 feet away from any line. Contrasting coloring in the end zone may abut any line.

Ok, that seems pretty simple. So what is the punishment if the field isn't in accordance with the rules? Everybody starts getting their shoes dirty until its meets standards?

I have on occasion shown up a school with all lines painted orange or blue or whatever.

Not once did we write it up to the UIL. We did remind the home team of it and simply left it alone.

So you basically gamble if a crew writes it up and does the UIL follow up with any action.

I was always of the opinion that the white must have run out and they needed another color to get by.

That being said anything other than white makes it a pain in the arse to see. I remember those games having some difficultly.

I worked a 6-man playoff game on an 11-man field a couple of years ago. The field was a very good, natural grass field. By the time this game occurred (late November), all of the grass was dead of course and had turned the typical shade of pale yellow. The white lines for the crowded field were still visible but somewhat camouflaged. The host school had painted the 6-man lines in their color - dark red. It was awesome. Absolutely no problems seeing the lines and eliminated any confusion. Only problem that I remember from that game was that one of the schools was supposed to bring the portable goals and they thought the other one was. About a 20-minute delay for the start and everything worked out fine.

Back