Examples of Teams that use the Veer

drakecoach2018

11-man fan
I am doing some research on the O'Brien veer and was just wondering if their are any modern instances, or any film of teams using this offensive scheme in the past 5-7 years.

most veer stuff is Marathon Veer, which may be called much else. Have not seen O'brien Veer in years. Benjamin ran it a long time ago, as did Highland. Coaches new to sixman buy the "book" and sometimes run some stuff out of it but maybe some one might know more than me.

Grady ran the O'brien veer in the late seventies. Newcastle ran it in the mid-eighties. There were a lot of coaches showed the veer look for a play or two or four, but it was more to make future opponents spend preparation time on it than truly depending on the veer to move the ball. Sidney had a Coach in the early mid-nineties that tried to run out of the veer set to the point of trying to run his spread out of the veer set. If you can imagine your spread back being four yards deep in the backfield, then you can imagine how successful that was! Two years later he had his team in the playoffs mostly because he used the two or three plays that was successful out of the veer set a lot. This was a short yardage dive and bombs to a fast wide receiver!

Benjamin ran it in 07-09, as well as Duncanville Christian(09) ran a pretty wicked O'Brien veer. Coach Underwood was in the stands to watch our team get roasted by it.

We ran the O’Brien Veer and O’Brien Wing during our 2009 State title run at Duncanville Christway... it’s not something you would want to use as one of your base offenses... we practiced it everyday during the whole 2009 season and unleashed it in the state title game in Moody! There is no answer to it if you don’t put it out on film for teams to prepare for it.. you must also have some pretty speedy players to run it. Can get very tricky! But if ran properly it can be deadly.. haven’t seen it much since.. I think Round Rock Christian or another school in Tapps has a similar look of the veer but I could be wrong...

Hope everyone is having a blessed and happy offseason as well... see y’all in August..

God bless,
Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Correct me if Im wrong coach, but it takes a LOT of commitment and buying in from players and coaches bc of the timing involved in everything. It is all about timing and reading and all that takes a lot of practice, and I know you cant practice as long now as you use to so Im sure that adds to why many dont bother with it anymore.
My senior year we ran it as our secondary offense at times (1999 Blackwell)

Leman Saunders":2ymast0f said:
Correct me if Im wrong coach, but it takes a LOT of commitment and buying in from players and coaches bc of the timing involved in everything. It is all about timing and reading and all that takes a lot of practice, and I know you cant practice as long now as you use to so Im sure that adds to why many dont bother with it anymore.
My senior year we ran it as our secondary offense at times (1999 Blackwell)

Oh absolutely, we would spend at least 35-40 minutes each practice working on it.. everything from snap to pitch to read has to be on que, any of those go wrong then the whole play won’t work.

Back