double wing offense

Okay so I guess its just 3 lineman like a center and two guards?? I guess my question how big would the splits have to be to get the timeing down?? And just us regular double wingg t offensive plays?

Kent Allison, he's the D-Line Coach over at Lubbock Cooper. Used to be head coach at Meadow a few years ago. Probably can find his email on the Cooper website.

I think Coach O'Malley at Petersburg ran a set that was pretty close to the double wing, but I could be wrong. He's still at Petersburg, just not coaching football. I'd give him a shout too.

footballking":1ydx7p2v said:
Double wing offense in 6 man any had any luck with it?

I have coached the Double Wing in 11 and 8-man football for many years. You can run the DW in six man, but you'll need strong physical backs who can average over 5 yards per carry. In terms of the line splits. I believe a 3 foot or 1 yard split should be sufficient. I would also align the Wingback's 1 x 1 titled on the outside hip of the end.

Meschuk is correct. The DW is a great ball-control, ground-and-pound offense, but it requires excellent blocking technique and strong north/south runners to be truly effective. It is a smashmouth offense, with a philosophy of physically wearing out a defense. In 11-man we had long drives that sometimes chewed up 8+ minutes of the game clock, essentially controlling the ball for an entire quarter.

I've coached it in both 6 & 11, and the principles and concepts are the same. The one thing the DW lacks in 6-man is the ability to utilize a FB in the "sniffer" position. FB traps & the dreaded Wedge play can be lethal in 11-man after wearing teams out with Power & Sweep over and over. It's been my experience that in 6-man you can achieve just as good (or better) results with the Jaybird formation as you can with the DW.

speedkills":1clk1cdz said:
Meschuk is correct. The DW is a great ball-control, ground-and-pound offense, but it requires excellent blocking technique and strong north/south runners to be truly effective. It is a smashmouth offense, with a philosophy of physically wearing out a defense. In 11-man we had long drives that sometimes chewed up 8+ minutes of the game clock, essentially controlling the ball for an entire quarter.

I've coached it in both 6 & 11, and the principles and concepts are the same. The one thing the DW lacks in 6-man is the ability to utilize a FB in the "sniffer" position. FB traps & the dreaded Wedge play can be lethal in 11-man after wearing teams out with Power & Sweep over and over. It's been my experience that in 6-man you can achieve just as good (or better) results with the Jaybird formation as you can with the DW.

As a former player in the DW system, I agree with your comments. Because their is no FB in a 6-Man DW, you must improvise on short yardage plays. I have been exploring the 6-Man DW for years now. Throughout my research, I came to the realization there are 10 solid plays you can run from the DW. You can run the dive (wedge) out of the double wing. I explored the idea last night when diagraming plays. If you run the wedge, you must have incorporate a play action pass.
You need the following in my opinion to run the DW:
1. Wingbacks: Fast, durable, able to run and block
2. Quarterback: Selfless, quality passer who must block
3. Center: Quick and aggressive to block man-on or the three technique
4. Ends: Physical blockers who can pull and trap, and have great hands on pass receptions.

Back