District 14 Division 1

coachsatcher

Six-man fan
Curious what the hype is surrounding this district. I believe this year will be a very competitve district race. Buckholts returns several starters, but lost three key seniors in their run to the playoffs last season. New QB has shown the manuverability and arm strength needed to lead this team; which was something we relyed on in 2012. All the runnningbacks and most of the receivers return, which gives our QB the tools needed for success. The defense lost two vital piences, but had very strong replacements waiting in the wings. Should be solid on both sides of the ball. Mount Calm will have tons of players returning. Now that they have a field and some depth, look for them to start winning those close battles. Coolidge has a new coach, which will bring in a new system. Coach Jones turned Fannindel around and we look for him to improve the program at Coolidge. They have tons of numbers and great size, which will fit Jones well. They will be very deep on both sides of the ball, but need to replace their middle linebacker/running back who graduated. Penelope will always be fundamentally sound. They have one of the best coaching tandems in sixman football and seem to get their kids to buy into what they're selling. Look for Penelope to put up good numbers and with the 8th grade running back from thsi past year; look for the offense to see more big plays. Won't pick an order, because I trully believe it will come down to the last week of the season to secure the playoff spots.

I think its a pretty weak district overall............also I dont like the fact that buckholts plays a weak non district schedule and the district is pitiful. By the way, buckholts last won district in 1997 not 1992 like the article said last year.......I just think its too watered down now......in 1997, it meant something to win district and make the playoffs.....JMO

1997 Schedule (2-3 versus teams with .500 record or better)
Gustine (3-7) - W
Walnut Springs (3-7) - W
Grandfalls Royalty (11-1) - L
Mullin (8-4) - L
Dallas Academy (0 wins) - W
Coolidge (3-7) - W
Jonesboro (9-2) **Great win
Aquilla (4-5) - W
Oglesby (2-8) - W
Cransfills Gap (7-3) **Great Win
Strawn (9-3) - L

2012 Schedule (3-4 versus teams with .500 record or better)
Cen Tex (5-5) - W
Jonesboro (9-3) - L
Tomball Christian (10-2) - L
Calvert (6-4) - L
Bastrop Tribe - (10-3) **Great Win
Prairie Lea (2-8) - W
Summit Christian (1-9) - W
Coolidge - (6-4) - W
Penelope (2-8) - W
Mt. Calm (2-7) - W
Aquilla (5-6) - W
Oakwood (9-3) - L

Not even sure why we have to compare teams, but their schedules were not that different. Each season, you play the teams on the schedule. You have no clue how teams will end up. Pre-season, we were picked third in 2012. We played the schedule the previous coach gave us, and ironically, several people thought we'd be lucky to win 4 or 5 games. The boys did exactly what the were supposed to. Win the games needed to win. The weakness of our district is open for debate, but who can call Penelope, Coolidge, Mt. Calm or Buckholts a walk in the park? We may not be the best, but we'll fight tooth and nail; and no matter who we play - you'll remember who we were. Just my opinion.

This Year:

Wk 1 Cen-Tex
Wk 2 Jonesboro
Wk 3 TBA
Wk 4 Calvert
Wk 5 Waco Methodist
Wk 6 Seguin Lifegate
Wk 7 BYE
Wk 8 Coolidge
Wk 9 Penelope
Wk 10 Mt. Calm

Coach,

I am not degrading what yall did last year.....I am just stating that in years past it meant a lot more and was tougher to get to the playoffs before the last few years with this division 1 and 2 crap in six man and in football in general. Before you had got there, buckholts has played a few watered down schedules...and I get you did not make the schedule....As for 1997, Gustine,WS, Coolidge had been really tough for the several years before 1997.....so it was a pleasant surprise when the badgers beat them. Jonesboro teams of the 80's and 90's would beat the Jonesboro teams today like a drum.....I understand you play the hands you are dealt with schedules,etc........Congrats on yalls accomplishments as a team and what your doing as the boss....good luck on the upcoming season.

I'm not exactly sure how we ended up in Division 1. It's posted that we have 59 kids in our high school, which is off by 12. We have 47 this year, started the year last year with 49; so I'm not sure where that number came from. I'm happy to be in either Division 1 or Division 2; we just don't make it easy on any UIL team for travel, because no one is really around us, except Calvert. I would love to see us be in DII, in a district with Buckholts, Calvert, Oglesby and Jonesboro. No game over an hour and a half drive and a district that you would have to fight to win, or even make the playoffs for that matter.

I would love to see us be in DII, in a district with Buckholts, Calvert, Oglesby and Jonesboro.

Your deffinatley right! that would be a fight, although Oglesby is in the worst slump I have ever seen. Im hoping they make a comeback.

Oglesby, Jonesboro and Buckholts have a loooooooooong history together.

You can add Calvert now to that history list too, I believe Buckholts has played them for atleast 10 Years now.

coachsatcher":122tih59 said:
Curious what the hype is surrounding this district. I believe this year will be a very competitve district race. Buckholts returns several starters, but lost three key seniors in their run to the playoffs last season. New QB has shown the manuverability and arm strength needed to lead this team; which was something we relyed on in 2012. All the runnningbacks and most of the receivers return, which gives our QB the tools needed for success. The defense lost two vital piences, but had very strong replacements waiting in the wings. Should be solid on both sides of the ball. Mount Calm will have tons of players returning. Now that they have a field and some depth, look for them to start winning those close battles. Coolidge has a new coach, which will bring in a new system. Coach Jones turned Fannindel around and we look for him to improve the program at Coolidge. They have tons of numbers and great size, which will fit Jones well. They will be very deep on both sides of the ball, but need to replace their middle linebacker/running back who graduated. Penelope will always be fundamentally sound. They have one of the best coaching tandems in sixman football and seem to get their kids to buy into what they're selling. Look for Penelope to put up good numbers and with the 8th grade running back from thsi past year; look for the offense to see more big plays. Won't pick an order, because I trully believe it will come down to the last week of the season to secure the playoff spots.

thanks for mentioning Mt. Calm in your assessment....that really helps understand where you are coming from.

emc008":nq4bpjtv said:
coachsatcher":nq4bpjtv said:

thanks for mentioning Mt. Calm in your assessment....that really helps understand where you are coming from.

They're in the district. I commented on all the district teams.

Back