Did the Rocksprings Supe really just trash six-man

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/c.../Small-West-Texas-town-plays-big-12267401.php

This seems to be behind a paywall, but worked for me.

EDIT - Roy Bragg passed along this link... https://t.co/paD980Tkty

here's the part where he trashed six-man:

Around here, says interim superintendent Larry Taylor, “six-man” is considered “the s-word.”

“We could play six-man,” Taylor said. “But anybody who comes in here talking about it (would be in trouble.)”

A rumor whipped through town a few years ago that a drop to six-man was imminent.

“I have nothing to do with the schools, but I was getting calls at home,” said Mayor Pauline Gonzalez. “People were worried. They said, ‘We don’t want six-man football here.’”

That, promises school board president Brady Hyde, will never happen. The board understands the importance of the school and 11-man football.

Later, then Bragg takes a shot at the end

While professional football has been infected by politics and college football has become more about exploitation, the game is still played for the right reasons in places such as Ozona, Rocksprings and thousands of other locales around the state.

More importantly, it’s still being played as intended, with 11 players.

I think it should be:

More importantly, they Angoras wouldn't want to get trashed by Balmorhea and Richland Springs...

I coached in Rocksprings in early 2000's. I didnt get the vibe that they would be so against it. If what they say is true, ignorance is the word I would definitely used, along with stubborness.

It amazes me that a school administrator would say something so offensive about an entire classification PUBLICLY in this fashion.

If Rocksprings can suit up 44 players, more power to them. Keep on with the crowded field version.
granger":1ugqpdev said:
I think it should be:

More importantly, they Angoras wouldn't want to get trashed by Balmorhea and Richland Springs...

I think "thrashed" is the word that they remember from the Wallace Fikes coached teams from RS in the mid '60's!

Longhorn85":2d4t38zi said:
It amazes me that a school administrator would say something so offensive about an entire classification PUBLICLY in this fashion.
Omg dont be surprised.
This is what we've come to.
I spoke to him very politely once
and he was just as rude.
Let them lose out I say.

Not that surprising really from a mediocre 11 man team over the years. Never state champs, eliminated early when they occasionally made the playoffs. Except 1993 when they went 10 - 7 .

http://lonestarfootball.net/team.asp?T=767

11 man gives them a chance to let more of the fatboy's play on the line. They might have to run more wind sprints to have a chance in six man. They probably couldn't keep up with the pace of six man.

To me the bigger issue is with the Built Ford Tough Player of the week only including 2A-6A & 11-man Private schools. I get those emails every week & the poster every August, but Ford doesn't recognize 6-man as real football. If you drive a Ford, you don't support 6-man*.

*insert eye-roll here

coach_jshelton":333pbkla said:
To me the bigger issue is with the Built Ford Tough Player of the week only including 2A-6A & 11-man Private schools. I get those emails every week & the poster every August, but Ford doesn't recognize 6-man as real football. If you drive a Ford, you don't support 6-man*.

*insert eye-roll here

ANOTHER good reason not to drive a Friggin’ Old Rebuilt Dodge.

oldfat&bald":1bn40kjf said:
coach_jshelton":1bn40kjf said:

*insert eye-roll here

ANOTHER good reason not to drive a Friggin’ Old Rebuilt Dodge.

Found On Road Dead. Right in Front of the Chevy and Dodge it was towing to the garage.

Instead of bashing R S why don't ya''ll talk about the benefits of six man football. Sounds like they could use some encoragement. I would rather watch six man football than any other game, that includes all sport games!! Saw my first six man game in 1963 between Balmorhea and Fort Davis, during my junior year at Sul Ross. Was one hell of a great game and have been hooked every since

Imo sixman and 11-man are separate but equal. I'll watch six man football on Fridays and then I'll watch my Dallas Cowboys lose on Sundays and enjoy them for what they are: different forms of football but football nonetheless. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you don't have to put down a sport just because you personally don't like it. I love football (both versions) and baseball, but I don't care for basketball. Does that mean I attack the NBA? Of course not. If that Superintendent didn't want his school to play six man that's fine but attacking an entire classification is childish. Oh well, his loss lol.

coach_jshelton":215170uy said:

*insert eye-roll here

They list the advisors on the rules page...many of whom I think we could email, call, or tweet to see why they exclude 1A....
http://playeroftheweek.com/rules.aspx

Back