Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine

As a Wacoite, Baylor grad and obviously much more than a football fan I guess he passed happily. Football wise at least after seeing BU win the Big 12 again.

I'd be interested to know if Granger or Leman ever met him as they worked for DCTF.

When the magazine would come out, they would take Dave on tours around the state for signings, etc... When they came to Austin, they would meet up with the Austin HOST Communications (later IMG) office staff, (of which my wife was part of) for lunch at Matt's El Ranch before doing radio interviews and visits to bookstores. Dave would stand around and sign magazines and talk to folks, but when we sat for lunch, he always wanted to sit with me. I was the only person there who did anything for the magazine aside from who he was traveling with.

Of course, he wanted to talk about six-man, but he also really wanted to chat about tennis. He played every morning in Waco with his buddies, which included Alan Samuels the car dealer. Remember, Dave got the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, relocated to Waco after it had closed. He had the ear of all the money people in town. Samuels was also the private money behind the public Waco Regional Tennis Center.

I also got to spend some time with him at other events for the magazine over the years. He was always a pleasure to talk to.

His contribution to Texas High School Football is unparalleled. He was a great man and made everyone feel important. He will be missed.

Back