Dave Campbell’s D1 Preseason top 10

Milford is coming back absolutely loaded! Multiple All State players returning, and bringing back 4 starters in both sides of the ball. In the last 3 years this senior class has lost a combined total of 5 games ( Strawn (2) Richland Springs, Jonesboro, and McLean. 4 of the 5 losses have come to State Champions and the other to a state game runner up.)

With wins over Richland Springs, Garden City (2), Iredell, Oakwood (3) Coolidge, Union Hill, Jonesboro, Calvert, Crowell. Big time games.

Seniors , Ricky Pendleton, Jasean Brooks, Tyvon Gates, Jaylon Davis, Damyan Woodward, Derrick Walker , Jashawn Johnson, and Holden Shrotke look to lead milford to its first state championship since 1980 - 39 years!

A special season to come from your #1 Ranked Milford Bulldogs.

Hey insider the Rankings come from an opinion of a few. Champions are working humbly right now for what they want! DECEMBER WILL DECIDE THE REAL #1

I appreciate the choice of Milford as preseason number one based on returning players but until some of those players put more game into their defensive abilities McLean will repeat. Milford has a lot of talent and may be some their new players will be fire breathing linebackers. Let's watch and see what happens.

tdog5344":2z5sngxb said:
Hey insider the Rankings come from an opinion of a few. Champions are working humbly right now for what they want! DECEMBER WILL DECIDE THE REAL #1

I agree, the champs are working their butts off right now. Come December we will see who worked the hardest.

Texlonghorn75":bint3fl5 said:
I appreciate the choice of Milford as preseason number one based on returning players but until some of those players put more game into their defensive abilities McLean will repeat. Milford has a lot of talent and may be some their new players will be fire breathing linebackers. Let's watch and see what happens.

Conversations I’ve had with some of the players led me to believe they are more motivated than ever. They feel as though as a class as a whole they are under valued. They are the #1 ranked team but still have a huge chip on their shoulders and a lot to prove.

Mclean Beat #1 Milford by 30 and 45ed #3 Whitedeer. In my book Mclean is still #1 until somebody can stop them. We play them as we do every year and I can't see us making it to half without it being a blowout.

I agree that McLean should come into the season at number 1 and stay there until their first loss. Milford will possibly represent the East at the State game, but just having the best athletes doesn't necessarily translate to having the best team. Milford has proven that several times in the past with TaRon Smith and company, and don't forget about the Dez Buckaloo teams a few years ago.
When is the D2 top ten going to be posted?

tdog5344":13kf79s1 said:
I wonder if Sixmanfootball.com will rank Milford #1
Tdog, I think Dave Campbell uses the Sixmanfootball.com people's input like that guy from Blackwell to rank the teams. The challenge is for the rank and file fans to come up with their own rankings, which of course would be more legit, at least for some of us anyhow. lol! The burning question is which down on their luck program will have a break out year and beat almost everybody. I predict Gustine will much improved this year. Nice to see Dime Box with a team and Baird joining Sixman football ranks. Can the Ranger Bulldogs be next the next eleven man school to move up to sixman ball? Why isn't Lipan and Huckaby allowing their boys to play football? Their enrollments are much larger than Strawn's or Gordon's. Lingleville and Bluff Dale , even Morgan Mill play football but not Lipan and Huckaby! Serious questions on a warm summer day. Ride on Bro.

Texlonghorn75":3w19fit5 said:
tdog5344":3w19fit5 said:
Tdog, I think Dave Campbell uses the Sixmanfootball.com people's input like that guy from Blackwell to rank the teams. The challenge is for the rank and file fans to come up with their own rankings, which of course would be more legit, at least for some of us anyhow. lol! The burning question is which down on their luck program will have a break out year and beat almost everybody. I predict Gustine will much improved this year. Nice to see Dime Box with a team and Baird joining Sixman football ranks. Can the Ranger Bulldogs be next the next eleven man school to move up to sixman ball? Why isn't Lipan and Huckaby allowing their boys to play football? Their enrollments are much larger than Strawn's or Gordon's. Lingleville and Bluff Dale , even Morgan Mill play football but not Lipan and Huckaby! Serious questions on a warm summer day. Ride on Bro.

All great points.. It will be decided on the field no doubt.. All of them were rooting for milford no doubt. The sixmania announcers were against Mclean to the point it was embarrassing and on the fox sports broadcast they didn't so much root for Milford but talked alot about there program and knew little to nothing about Mclean kids.. we had the same problem in 1999 when I played in Championship game for groom seams like the panhandle doesn't get alot of respect but on the flip side Mclean was terrible until two years ago. It's fun to talk about and watch people get fired up though. Good luck to all the teams and kiddos and I can't wait to see the pads talking instead of a bunch of has been like me...

tdog5344":3plz1joa said:
All great points.. It will be decided on the field no doubt.. All of them were rooting for milford no doubt. The sixmania announcers were against Mclean to the point it was embarrassing and on the fox sports broadcast they didn't so much root for Milford but talked alot about there program and knew little to nothing about Mclean kids.. we had the same problem in 1999 when I played in Championship game for groom seams like the panhandle doesn't get alot of respect but on the flip side Mclean was terrible until two years ago. It's fun to talk about and watch people get fired up though. Good luck to all the teams and kiddos and I can't wait to see the pads talking instead of a bunch of has been like me...
I disagree about the Sixmania broadcast. In fact, I just listened to nearly two hours of the broadcast. You can listen to it here. http://mixlr.com/sixmania1/showreel/

tdog5344":3mm7po7v said:
You quit way to early. It's ok that yall rooted for Milford be proud of it nothing wrong with supporting your team.
Obviously you don’t know Doc WeeWee very well if you think he was rooting for Milford. Sixmania has gone above and beyond to cover the Panhandle and West Texas teams........

Never once said they havent?? Don't be like most and act out of ignorance listen to the entire broadcast then report back. It's always best to have all of the info before you say something. And again I'll say it if you want coverage build a program and win I understand how it works.

tdog5344":19kmtwm2 said:
You quit way to early. It's ok that yall rooted for Milford be proud of it nothing wrong with supporting your team.
I picked McLean by 30. How is that rooting for Milford?
A little info for you- the broadcaster that sounded like a Milford fan went to school at Ira. Another is a six-man coach in New Mexico. The other guy is from Zephyr.

Texlonghorn75":3bxc10mv said:
tdog5344":3bxc10mv said:

Going to get this back on topic...want the inside scoop....

I think Im the guy you are referring to here. For those that dont know, I do about 75% of all the 6man content for Dave Campbell's magazine, including being responsible for their rankings throughout the whole season since Granger passed on that torch in 2011. For the sake of this discussion I use no computers at all! I do observe and read the message boards but it plays very little into how I rank teams (that shouldnt be a surprise). I look at who's returning, who's the coach, what do I think the playoff bracket will look like, how's the district, how's the region, how's their side of the bracket, most importantly...WHAT DO THE COACHES SAY/THINK, WHAT IS ON EVERYONES INFO SHEET THEY TURN INTO DAVE CAMPBELL'S. I also go to games, watch a LOT of film via hudl...all this plays into the preseason rankings and as the season goes I make adjustments. There are people I take their opinions very seriously that know specific regions very well and I take their word on things seriously when I ask them..."what do you think about____this team___?" I try to pick preseason top 10 how I think the season final rankings will be. Hope that clears some things up. Please remember there are deadlines and if coaches dont turn in info in a timely manner it makes things very hard to give an accurate prediction as far as district standings go.

Back