D-1 Picks Down the Stretch

Birdman96

11-man fan
As District comes to a close and playoffs start soon, who you got in TAPPS D-1? I can’t remember this many teams all with a legitimate shot like this year has. Dallas Lutheran is hungry for a repeat. Emery is looking back to form this year. San Jac and Veritas are finally healthy and playing at a high level. Giddings, Gainesville and Waco Vangaurd all look like they are gonna have a shot at it. Who will emerge?

I am an Emery fan, but assuming everything goes as hoped in this final weekend of the season, they are going to have a tough road in the playoffs.

If Emery beats Faith West and Giddings beats Sugar Land Logos Prep, Giddings will be the Tapps D1- Dist 3 champ and Emery will be 2nd. As the Dist 3 - 2nd place team, Emery may face Amarillo San Jac in the first round, the winner of that game would face the Dist 2 champ(Veritas or Waco Vanguard assuming that team wins its 1st round game) , winner of that game would face Dallas Lutheran(assuming it wins all earlier playoff games) to then get the State championship game. That is a tough road to the finals!

jaguars_rule":2e64fhgg said:
I am an Emery fan, but assuming everything goes as hoped in this final weekend of the season, they are going to have a tough road in the playoffs.

If Emery beats Faith West and Giddings beats Sugar Land Logos Prep, Giddings will be the Tapps D1- Dist 3 champ and Emery will be 2nd. As the Dist 3 - 2nd place team, Emery may face Amarillo San Jac in the first round, the winner of that game would face the Dist 2 champ(Veritas or Waco Vanguard assuming that team wins its 1st round game) , winner of that game would face Dallas Lutheran(assuming it wins all earlier playoff games) to then get the State championship game. That is a tough road to the finals!
That IS one heck of a tough road!

Emery vs San Jac....I am picking a healthy San Jac on that one.

Lutheran has had a few injuries and illnesses (flu bug), Getting healthy and ready for stretch run.

Lionsbacker":3he5iou5 said:
Emery vs San Jac....I am picking a healthy San Jac on that one.

Lutheran has had a few injuries and illnesses (flu bug), Getting healthy and ready for stretch run.

@Lionsbacker, since Lakehill is playing Emery instead of San Jac, what did you see from lakehill last friday, what is their outlook? Who are you picking in this matchup?

I've watched some film. The TAPPS D1 playoff field looks deeper, or at least more competitive, than the past few years. Who comes through this weekend?

My humble opinions, freely offered, and worth every bit of what you paid for them:
Austin Hill Country keeps it closer than Granger's algorithm predicts, but goes down to Sugarland Logos Prep by 18.

Dallas Lutheran wins going away against...oh yeah, they got a first round bye. Nice work TAPPS. Related: Lionsbacker forced to wait another week to enthusiastically support his team in these parts.

Dallas Lakehill Prep runs into the offensive buzz saw that is the #2-ranked Houston Emery Weiner Jaguars. Over at halftime, or at the latest, early 3rd quarter.

Austin Veritas is peaking at the right time (ouch Vanguard), and covers the 23-points against Denton Calvary on Saturday.

Amarillo San Jacinto rewards a long road trip by Marble Falls Faith with a competitive game first quarter, then goes Steelers vs. Panthers with a decisive defensive score, a bunch of offense, and an early finish. Pass the sticks.

Giddings State, the top-ranked team in the tournament, shows why against Round Rock Christian. Over at half.

San Antonio Lutheran plays one of its best games of the season and keeps it close late into the first half, Gainesville pulls away and finishes it in the 3rd.

Finally, in the most competitive game of the 1st round, Waco Vanguard and Katy Faith West go four quarters and Vanguard wins on a 38-yard field goal with :30 seconds left, then holds on for the victory.

Lionsbacker, we'd still love to hear from you anyway. Birdman and WarEagle, you're bound to have some thoughts. Old76'er, jaguars_rule, test_em and DB Bulldog, what games are you going to watch this weekend? And UncleRico, that's a nice grab on your username. Wish I would have thought of it..."If coach woulda just put me in in the state game...I coulda gone pro" Safe travels, safe play to all!

I’ve never quite understood who gets a bye and who doesn’t. I think we learn a lot this week. Dallas Lakehill has been really competitive so I’m interested to see how their game with Emery turns out. Veritas completely dominated a good Vangaurd team. So assuming Veritas beats Denton Calvary, that next game with Veritas Vs Emery or Lakehill will be a dog fight.

I will be at the Emery - Lakehill game cheering on the JAGS. Headspeed I like your prediction of the game being over in the 3rd quarter, but I will be happy to just have the W at this time tomorrow night.

I was very surprised to see the Waco Vanguard / Veritas score from last weekend and interested in how their game with Katy Faith West turns out. I have not seen Vanguard play, but Katy has some big hitters on their team and I am sure they will come ready to play.

Sugarland Logos can put up some points, but I don't know anything about Austin Hill Country other than they played Giddings pretty close in the 1st game of the season, which counts for something.

I think Veritas, Giddings and Gainesville will win their games going away, nothing against their competition, but they are strong teams and ranked at the top of the division for a reason.

Thanks for the love @headspeed. Your prediction for the Logos game wasn't exactly correct. I saw somewhere that Logos ended up winning by 50. In my opinion, the two best TAPPS D1 games this weekend are Faith West vs Waco (I'm picking FW by 25) and Lakehill vs Emery (really don't know who I like here, gonna go Emery by 5). Very interested to see the results of these two. Also I'm gonna go head and say that I think Veritas is pretty much a lock for State. They're playing some pretty good football down in Austin.

I see now that Lucas Christian forfeited their first round game against Dallas Lutheran. I retract my criticism of TAPPS’s bracketeering. It’s perfect.

I think this D1 bracket is very competitive.
Sugar Land vs Lutheran- Im going to probably go with Lutheran in this one. I don't think that SL has the speed to keep up with lutherans spread back but I also do not think Lutheran has been in a game that will be this physical.
Emery vs Veritas- This will be a great game and I hope I can make it to this one. I saw the Emery vs Dallas Lakehill last week and Emery just dominated both sides of the ball an spread the ball around very well. Now the question is can Emery stoop the passing attack that Veritas will unleash on them??
Giddings vs San Jac- Anyone thinking that San Jac hangs around in this one? should be interesting
Gainesville vs Vanguard- Gainesville rolls setting up a state school showdown with Giddings

Sorry i have been tied up and not posting.

I agree that D-1 is very competitive. I havent seen anybody that compares with Issiah on Lutheran. Giddings #7 comes close. So far I am going with:

Sugarland/ Lutheran - Lutheran beats the spread

Giddings/ Amarillo - Hmm, I saw somewhere this is being played in Amarillo, long drive! If San Jac plays Giddings the way they played us...hmmm. Going out on a limb, upset. Amarillo wins.

Emery / Veritas - they remind me so much of each other. Emery maybe a little crisper this year. They have been tested more. I am going with Emery ( Sorry Veritas, love u guys)

Gainsville/ Waco - Hmmm, heard Gainsville is without #50 and # 20, that will make a huge difference. I say they win but it will be close.

At this point an on sides kick or 2, and a penalty here or there can sway a game.

Gainesville vs. Waco- gotta take Gainesville in this one, they have a solid defense but I think Waco can make it a competitive game.

Logos vs. Lutheran- Logos is good but their whole offense falls apart without their spread back, he's a stud runner but gets tired a lot. They have a good defense and a very solid backer. Lutheran built a young but talented core around #7. Gotta give it to the defending champs, I don't think Logos D will be able to make enough stops but I think it'll be high scoring, decided within 2 or 3 scores.

Giddings vs. San Jac- Giddings has been dominant all season with a great offense. they'll break crazy long plays and are extremely dangerous when the plays fall apart and they improvise. #7 is an absolute stud probably best player in the state. I think that it will be a shootout. SJ has had some injuries and are returning to form but have to give the edge to Giddings, hard to gameplan they just have so many athletes.

Emery vs. Veritas- Oh boy, this is the matchup of the season for TAPPS D1. These are the top 2 teams in the bracket I'd say. Teams are very similar: dominant blocking, solid defensive (including good DLine), and a good run game with two high IQ quarterbacks. Both teams can get fired up, this game is an absolute tossup but have to give the advantage to Veritas, they have excellent scheme and their coach is the "Belichick" of sixman football. The winner of this game will win the 2018 state championship unless Gainesville can pull off a miracle.

Lionsbacker":lzdggn5t said:
Sorry i have been tied up and not posting.

I agree that D-1 is very competitive. I havent seen anybody that compares with Issiah on Lutheran. Giddings #7 comes close. So far I am going with:

Sugarland/ Lutheran - Lutheran beats the spread

Giddings/ Amarillo - Hmm, I saw somewhere this is being played in Amarillo, long drive! If San Jac plays Giddings the way they played us...hmmm. Going out on a limb, upset. Amarillo wins.

Emery / Veritas - they remind me so much of each other. Emery maybe a little crisper this year. They have been tested more. I am going with Emery ( Sorry Veritas, love u guys)

Gainsville/ Waco - Hmmm, heard Gainsville is without #50 and # 20, that will make a huge difference. I say they win but it will be close.

At this point an on sides kick or 2, and a penalty here or there can sway a game.

Looks like Veritas pulled it out vs. Emery. Should be a great game in the semi’s. Last year’s state final rematch!

I’m pretty sure Lutheran will be the favorite in this one. I do believe that Veritas can win this game and will be doing everything they can to not let Isaiah beat them. I see this being a battle!

Old76er":16n6zs8r said:
I’m pretty sur3 Lutheran will be the favorite in this one. I do believe that Veritas can win this game and will be doing everything they can to not let Isaiah beat them. I see this being a battle!

Veritas will beat Lutheran by 30+. Veritas defense is too good to get beaten by a one man team and the lutheran defense won't have many answers for veritas offense.

I also think veritas can win. Their passing game on a good day is unstoppable, and they can run the ball like nobody's business. Their defense though is the real key. Pretty sure they'll win, maybe not by 30 but not as close as the emory game.

As I posted on another thread

Lions beat the spread

Gainseville tops Giddings

Lions average 20-25 points a quarter, cant see Veritas keeping up that pace. Defense is finally 100% healthy. Defenders in for a surprise.

Rumor has Giddings releasing multiple players last week, not confirmed. Could be a different group playing Gainseville.

Back