Covington

SWRaider

Six-man fan
So is Covington now looking for a new AD/Head Football coach?
Must be tough to lose their coach less than 2 weeks before practice starts.

I didnt know it had been made official. I text Coach Ware and he signed officially last night. Will be fun to have him in the district.

This may be topic for a different thread, but at what point does loyalty and responsibility mean anything when it comes to situations like these? I don have a dog in the fight and don't know Coach Ware personally and don't know what the situation is or was at Covington.
I am sure Calvert is a big step up from Covington based on the level of athlete at Calvert, but what does this tell the kids at Covington? Especially in a society where a majority of homes are broken homes and boys may only have a few in any influential male figures in their life what does something like this tell them. What message is something like this sending?

Again this if not a personal question toward Coach Ware or any coach that has made a move this late in the summer, but more over a society question and what type a role a coach plays in that society and the impact of young mens lives.

SW Rider.. I understand what you're saying, and where you are coming from, but my take is at the end of the day coaches have to do what is best for them, and their family. I agree loyalty is important, but it can't be the only factor. I could never fault another coach for trying to improve his situation, no matter how close it is to the start of the season (I'm not saying that is what you are doing, I'm just giving my take). I have gone through a similar situation this year going from Carrollton Christian to Canyon Creek, and a lot of factors played a roll in my decision, but at the end of the day I had to do what was best for me.

I do not know Coach Ware, I have no idea what the situation is at either school. I don't think it's a good idea for me to speak on a situation that I don't know anything about, I wish the best of luck to both schools. I just wanted to give my take on the whole loyalty thing, like I said SW Rider I do understand where you coming from, but at the end of the day you have do what is best for you.

Looking at this from a school board perspective, they could have held him to his contract. (If he actually signed a contract) But, once he has asked to be released from his contract and you keep him there, he is not going to be a happy camper. It is always better to have someone who wants to be at your school even if the hire is on the day practice starts.

Having served on a school board for many years I can safely say that an employment contract between a school and one of its employees is, for all intents and purposes, a one way street. If a school reneges on a contract for one of its employees with no legal, moral or ethical basis in fact, that school can, will and should be sued into the stone age. If an employee breaks their contract with the school, I have rarely seen a school that would pay the legal expenses and suffer the negative PR and ill will in the community to enforce the provisions of the contact.

I have no idea the particular circumstances of this situation.

I will say that signing a contract and giving someone your word is the same thing. You have made a commitment. If you say you'll be there, be there.

Like I said, I have no idea the particular circumstances of this situation or any other situation mentioned in this thread. If you have made no commitment (written, verbal, handshake or otherwise) then by all means you should do what is in the best interests of you and your family. If the school has not honored the provisions of their contractual obligation to you, you have every right to do what's best for you. But if you have given someone your word and that's all there is to it, you should honor your word. Period! I've watched a lot of teachers, coaches, administrators and employees leave their schools in a lurch at the 11th hour because something better came along and justify it by saying they simply had to "do what was best for them and their family". I don't buy it, agree with it or condone it.

Leaving at this time in the year is garbage. This is a scum bag move. He can make all the excuses in the world, but if he was interested in taking this job, he should have done it a month ago. This job opened in May, the ruling came down from the UIL in June. Here we are late July and now he has made the decision. BULL!!

Kids in Covington deserve better. In all honesty, the kids in Calvert deserve better than the way that they have been taken care of over the last 5-7 years.

Drug dealing coach: alleged.
Rule breaker/offender: multiple offender.
Now they get this...

Good Luck Calvert. I was rooting for you, I guess I will have to pick another Division II school.

If you guys have GOOGLE EARTH,
Search Covington Texas
Shows they are burning Coach Ware Shirts, Shorts, Socks, and HeadBands.

Looks like Coach Ware has finally made it BIG.... Big as in Labron James HATRED Big....

Calvert will go 4-6

Count coog are you serious. This is low ball at its best. Coach Ware, whom I do not know made a decision to move on. Decision should be respected. Grimes was never involved in drug dealing. Failed to report his brother had drugs in Grimes rental home. Wortham, the judge is still out on him. Know one knows his level of responsibility past failure to submit eligibility forms. I think your remarks are cowardly and uncalled.

MLP1108":or0erlhp said:
Grimes was never involved in drug dealing. Failed to report his brother had drugs in Grimes rental home.
This is fact. Grimes is a friend, and I do not associate with drug dealers.
Also Ware interviewed nearly a month ago. I don't agree with his decision to leave this late, but it was his decision to make.

Ok, my apologies on the whole drug dealer comment. My point was that I feel bad for the kids of Calvert. They cant get any continuity because of the mistakes of others.

SWRaider":ha8njk6u said:
This may be topic for a different thread, but at what point does loyalty and responsibility mean anything when it comes to situations like these? I don have a dog in the fight and don't know Coach Ware personally and don't know what the situation is or was at Covington.
I am sure Calvert is a big step up from Covington based on the level of athlete at Calvert, but what does this tell the kids at Covington? Especially in a society where a majority of homes are broken homes and boys may only have a few in any influential male figures in their life what does something like this tell them. What message is something like this sending?

Again this if not a personal question toward Coach Ware or any coach that has made a move this late in the summer, but more over a society question and what type a role a coach plays in that society and the impact of young mens lives.
I think this question begs for 25 pages of discussion without mentioning any names. I broached the question of Core Values a while ago and got few responses. I wondered if this was an indication.
What passes for quality coaching these days?
Are there not kids who need quality coaching at every school?
How many coaches have taken a 0-10 team, stayed with them for 5 yrs or more, and played in a final game?

Back