Could oil discovery give Balmorhea a boost?

Yea, but some environmental group will come along and find a lizard or a weed or something that needs to be protected and will destroy hopes of getting to it.

The enviro groups tried once about 6-7 years ago to use the "rare lizard" schtick, but it failed. Whether or not the field is developed depends upon the cost of production. If there is not an already well developed infrastructure in the Balmorhea are, i.e., pipelines, roads, etc, like in most of the Permian basin area, then the development costs will be too high for rapid development. I read the other day that the general cost of a new well in the PB is about $30/bbl, so most of the activity is still there. If the Apache discovery is over $45/bbl, there will be no boom for Balmorhea.

I was thinking this was more of a longer term play. Nobody is out there rushing to get their oil out of the ground at the current prices. I've got a feeling we are going to stay low ($30-50) range for a few more years.

Maybe we will see Balmorhea up to Class 2A in 2026? Enrollment of 48 right now.

Depends upon whether or not the service companies establish yards there, or do like they have done in the Permian Basin and everyone commutes. My brother told me almost all the workers he had in his part of the oil patch (Andrews, Ft. Stockton) usually lived in Odessa or Midland, some in Ft. Stockton or Andrews. Balmorhea may be isolated enough to get some population increase.

I would assume Ft. Stockton would be the main town. But having been in Balmorhea in the last year, I would love to see the old town brought back to life.

Maybe I will open the restaurant from There Will Be Blood there

https://youtu.be/mmYkXgyrD7Y

Before the bust, they were building like madmen in Pecos to support the oilfields in that area. Pecos would probably service Balmorhea.

But we won't see it happening in this decade.

hijack

I just finished watching There Will Be Blood. Radiohead did the soundtrack. Never let Radiohead do your soundtrack.

/hijack

rainjacktx":31fxocwn said:
hijack

I just finished watching There Will Be Blood. Radiohead did the soundtrack. Never let Radiohead do your soundtrack.

/hijack
Another hijack

Just saw Hell or High Water....... Good soundtrack......... Better movie......

Leman Saunders":2z2wyhqe said:
Did Garden City or Sterling City get a big boost from the last oil find in their areas...the answer is NO.

Nope. Everyone commuted from Big Spring/Midland/Odessa/San Angelo.

rainjacktx":26tqroi8 said:
ol' gus":26tqroi8 said:
I'd rather keep it all under wraps till we secede.

From your mouth to God's ears.
big_brother.jpg

Back