Contact Against the Snapper

Coach Hogan

11-man fan
Alright so I've been trying to decipher this rule for some time now and after consulting the 2015 NCAA rule book, I think I'm more confused now than previously. The rule in question is about contacting a snapper in a scrimmage kick formation. A spread formation in six-man football almost always constitutes a scrimmage kick formation; however, rule 2-16-10 designates that it is only a scrimmage kick formation when, "it is obvious that a kick may be attempted." Now this seems pretty cut and dry but I wanted to check the interpretations section and look for additional explanation.

Here's where things get interesting, I'll just copy and paste the whole section to make things easier, this is 9-1-14-II on FI-59.

Team A is in an obvious scrimmage kick formation. Immediately after
the snap, nose guard B55 charges directly at the snapper, contacts
him, and drives him backward. The ball is snapped to an upback three
yards behind the scrimmage line or to the potential kicker, who instead
runs with or passes the ball. RULING: Foul. Penalty—15 yards and
automatic first down. The snapper may not be contacted until one
second has elapsed after the snap when Team A is in a scrimmage kick
formation and it is reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted.

What's the criteria for being reasonably obvious that a kick might be attempted? I would assume it would have to be either 4th down, a field goal attempt not on 4th down due to time constraints, or possibly where a punt might be more advantageous be this would be an extremely rare circumstance. If a team really wanted to could they just declare to the officials every time they line up in spread that a kick 'might' be attempted? This seems like it might be against the spirit of the rule.

Here is the center protection rule from sixman coaches association site.

Amendment:
The Center is to have one second of protection on all plays from scrimmage when the quarterback
is not under center.
(This would cover all shotgun spread plays as well as punts and extra points.)

Coach Hogan":3b300l1m said:
Thanks for the response. Would this amendment apply to TAPPS games as well or is this specifically for UIL six-man?

TAPPS games are played under the same game rules (NCAA rules with the 6-man exceptions equal to the UIL rules). Game rules are enforced by the officials hired to call the game.

Leagues (such as TAPPS and UIL) or even districts may have specific rules which I call contest rules -- they define things such as eligibility, playoff qualifications, or even how games are filmed and film exchange. Those rules are enforced by the leagues or districts, not the game officials.

@Texman301

I asked this specific question to the Chapter secretary from Commerce. There was no mention of the amendment. Where is that stated and when did the amendment come out?

From UIL/NCAA Sixman Rule Variations:

Rule 9-1-14:
"When a team in is an offensive or scrimmage kick formation, and no player is in position to take a hand-to-hand snap, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap"

Back