Congratulations

smokeyjoe53

Six-man pro
Congratulations to the coaches and players of Balmorhea & Richland Springs. It is a great achievement to reach the State Finals and takes determination and hard work on the part of all to get to this point. Safe travels to all the fans to the Metromess.

Great job to both teams!! I really do believe that this game has a good chance of being repeated again next year. I believe Richland springs does not lose very many seniors and I know that Balmorhea will only lose one player, who is not a starter on the team. Both teams are great, with even greater potential! Congrats!!

SixmanFootballFan1":1bs46gnm said:
Great job to both teams!! I really do believe that this game has a good chance of being repeated again next year. I believe Richland springs does not lose very many seniors and I know that Balmorhea will only lose one player, who is not a starter on the team. Both teams are great, with even greater potential! Congrats!!

The Balmorhea Bears this year remind me of the Grand Falls team back in 2012. That team was loaded with underclassmen and went on to win state convincingly in 2013.
Congratulations to the Borden Coyotes and the Jonesboro Eagles.
All 4 teams in the championships enjoy your experience at Jerry Word because who knows how long the UIL will have the games here.
I wish all fans and teams traveling to Irving a safe trip.
My thoughts and prayers go ou to the community of Iraan.

The Richland Springs team this year reminds me of the 2006 RS team that had mostly Juniors and some up and coming Sophs and Freshmen as well. RS met Rule in the State Championship game in 2006 and again in 2007. Great State games both years.

I agree. There would be nothing more awesome than a knock down, drag out dogfight for a state championship game. I would love to see a game like that in Jerry's World!

On that note, what're the best playoff games you've watched? The best 4 quarter, jaw clenching, on the edge of your seat dogfights of the playoffs?

YoungGunner":2kovz7zo said:
On that note, what're the best playoff games you've watched? The best 4 quarter, jaw clenching, on the edge of your seat dogfights of the playoffs?

Woodson vs Richland Springs at Comanche 2001. Semifinal I think. RS scored on the last play of the game on a long run by Jordan Hicks. 2 seconds on the clock when the play started.

Hot topic of discussion that question...2001 RS v Woodson, 2003 Strawn v RS, 1996 Gordon v Whitharral, 2000 Panther Creek v Highland...I was at them all...as well as 1994 Zephyr v Blackwell... those are my top 5

Both 2010 Garden City v Borden County games were great and I was at both of them as well

In 1989 Guthrie beat Newcastle 29-28, the very next week, we defeated Zephyr 57-56. Both of those games were knock down drag out wars.

Im editing one of my top 5 games...after rewatching it I think the 2000 State game was better than 2002.

Crazy game...back and forth in the 2nd half. Tied 36-36 Panther Creek picks off a pass with 56 seconds left to play, they score to go up 42-36 with 1second left on a ESPN type pass and catch. They kick off to Highland who runs a perfect trick play to their fast player on the outside with clear sailing to the endzone...but an inadvertent whistle blew the play dead...PC fans storm the field, refs gather up and say they are replaying the kickoff with 1 second on the clock and force the fans off the field. They rekick it and the trick play doesnt work the 2nd time...PC wins 42-36.

The game had a little bit of everything

Sean Hannity":3rfl1ufj said:
YoungGunner":3rfl1ufj said:

Woodson vs Richland Springs at Comanche 2001. Semifinal I think. RS scored on the last play of the game on a long run by Jordan Hicks. 2 seconds on the clock when the play started.

I didn't see that one. Strawn-RS 03 semi. Multiple lead changes. From 1st and goal at the one with about 40 seconds left to 4th and goal from the 1 with about 4-5 seconds left. Up the gut, stopped, Parsons steps slightly right and dives. By the nose of the ball Hounds go to State for 1st time. (56-54)

Leman Saunders":1j73h6ga said:
Hot topic of discussion that question...2001 RS v Woodson, 2003 Strawn v RS, 1996 Gordon v Whitharral, 2000 Panther Creek v Highland...I was at them all...as well as 1994 Zephyr v Blackwell... those are my top 5

Both 2010 Garden City v Borden County games were great and I was at both of them as well

I can't agree more, the playoff game was much better than the first game of the regular season. I personally believe that the Throckmorton games the year prior were better especially the quarterfinal game, it was the best game in the past 15 years. The class of 2010 graduated with a winning streak of 29 games and the last loss they had was to those Throckmorton Greyhounds, they beat them in the first game of the season. The next year they had a rematch in the state game and the Bearkats won again and won back to back state championships.

Leman Saunders":33evot7m said:
Im editing one of my top 5 games...after rewatching it I think the 2000 State game was better than 2002.

Crazy game...back and forth in the 2nd half. Tied 36-36 Panther Creek picks off a pass with 56 seconds left to play, they score to go up 42-36 with 1second left on a ESPN type pass and catch. They kick off to Highland who runs a perfect trick play to their fast player on the outside with clear sailing to the endzone...but an inadvertent whistle blew the play dead...PC fans storm the field, refs gather up and say they are replaying the kickoff with 1 second on the clock and force the fans off the field. They rekick it and the trick play doesnt work the 2nd time...PC wins 42-36.

Those are the games that feel like they take years off your life but they're the best! That's the stuff of legend growing up in a sixman town.

Leman Saunders":3ojvwmxu said:

Was there as well,what a trip,Elmo and i leave the metromess for that long drive to San Angelo,The drive was great,daylight and a great road trip,The game ended crazy,the trick play worked great,so great looked to me it tricked the refs,faked them out of their jocks,i always wondered if Highland did? or should have told the refs what they were going to do.After the game,ate some great chicken fried steak in Brownwood,all i remember was a bunch of deer heads on the wall at the Cafe,Belly full ,pleaded with my pardner to pull over anywhere to get some sleep,of course the man being married had to get home,,5 hours to go,,as i was nodding out somewhere in the middle of nowhere,the car started spinning and braking,Deer all in the road,Praise God,we are both alive,,We make it to Dallas maybe 2-3am,on i-30,all the sudden we pass some fool on the hiway,holding on to the back of a car at 60 mph free skating,skiing or what ever u call it,Low and behold we made it back for many more great sixman road trips,,,More to come.

"we pass some fool on the hiway,holding on to the back of a car at 60 mph free skating,skiing or what ever u call it,Low and behold we made it back for many more great sixman road trips,,,More to come."

Dang I told Cowboy not to do that...............

YoungGunner":2b3474qu said:

2002,Wife and i followed Calvert thru out the playoffs,thinking we went a couple district games as well

Again the long trip to San Angelo,Sanderson is about to 45 Calvert in the state championship game,i'm sitting there telling my wife i'm so sorry for dragging you this far to watch this,some how some way the game made it to half,The 2nd half was unreal,With a few breaks,Somehow some way Calvert comes from what? 36 points behind in the 3rd quarter to win state,Granger was there,it was insane,Now after the game,since i had the wife with me,we stayed in San Angelo,,Could be my number one game,at least number one comeback..

Back