Congrats Strawn Greyhounds!!!

Congratulations? Boy Howdy! Last year I thought these (primarily) sophomores were good enough they might be able to make it to state by the time they get to be seniors. They had at least a couple of really fast guys, hit hard and blocked well. I thought Tanner Hodgkins had the makings to be something like a Jonathan Lindsey or Jonathan Parsons. A monster on defense and runs over people on offense.
At the start of this year in an interview in the Mineral Wells Index Coach Lee said he thought this is the fastest team he's ever had. I though Yikes! I heard and read the term years ago. Speed kills in sixman. Of course it does in 11 man too. But one missed tackle in sixman and it can mean gone, throw in some good blocking and it is deadly..
As the year went along I realized that Hodgkins was pretty fast too. Kept making these long TD runs. Ivan Ruiz is a hoss and fast as well. Carlos Villanueva? What can you say? A ball of dynamite? Tougher than a ball bearing? Faster than a speeding bullet? As is JW Montgomery.
I reminded Coach Lee about his statement after a game late in the season. He asked, what do you think? I was stumped. I, um, ah, I'm certainly not as qualified as you to know that sir. I don't think I've ever seen a defense swarm to the ball like this one.
After being 45'd by Crowell last year if they could get by them this year they might make the semi's.
Bam.
The semi was a classic.
Today was really sweet.
Thank You Greyhounds.

Post edit. It would not be complete without mentioning Mr. Justin Fraga.

Actually I agree.
In this case
It waz Fast and Strawng.
Obviously dont need 250 lb linemen.
Basic fundamentals.
And playing in Texas Stadium?
was much more excicing than Shotwell.
This yr I think Strawn could take ANYBODY.
Jus sayin'.

Congratulations to both Strawn and Borden County on their State Championships, and Jonesboro and Balmorhea a great seasons. Entertaining games to watch.

The crowd yesterday was impressive to me. The paper said 5300. Quite a lot for a sixman game. Strawn's population is If I remember right 695 (?). I guess Balmoreah is about the same. Even if you include people from outside town, the ranches and everybody went at the most that would be about 2000. Everybody doesn't go. The Strawn bank shut down at 10:00 and a fan bus left from there at 11:00 but pack a sac didn't shut down. I saw several Jonesboro shirts/jackets, a few people stayed for both games. I imagine it was the same on the other side with Borden County (if you drive That far why not stick around a little longer before making the drive again?). There were even a few Refugio shirts/jackets there taking in a sixman game before their game. Considering their drive Balmoreah had quite a (vocal!) crowd. In the 19 years I've been going to them Strawn has always traveled well for big playoff games. It was hard to tell for sure just looking around but I thought the Hounds side was a good bit more packed. I guess that's to be expected considering proximity to the venue. Former students and residents that have moved off (like me) show up for big games. My brother in law and sister in law came down from Oklahoma (1978 grad's player/cheerleader).
It made for a lively and fun environment. I was proud to be a part of it supporting the Hounds again.

markf said:
BJ's in Mingus!! Now that sounds like a fun place[/quote

Yeah, the place to be after a Strawn or Gordon home game anymore. Even adults are limited to the Deer Stand in Mingus or Roots in Strawn. Mingus otherwise pretty well died a few years back.
Say hi to Stinker from the 67 team if you drop by and he's around. They were undefeated too.
(Cherokee cheated, Strawn has the Trophy).

A couple years ago, I remember hearing the attendance at the UIL finals 6 man games (when they were played on a Saturday afternoon/evening, not a Wednesday morning/afternoon) was something like 9000.

Which out drew the 6A Florida state finals and I'm guessing most other state finals. In 11-man large school.

I think the crowd in 2014 may have been bigger than this year. It was on a Saturday if I remember right, I didn't take time off for it). Only other one I've seen in jerryworld than this year. None I've been to at Shotwell were close to 9000. Ratliff stadium in 2003 was pretty large but I don't think that big.

After the state game Coach Lee said in an interview "that second half defense was "priceless". After the last state game he coached against Vance Jones I though no doo doo! Absolutely great job.
Then I read, on an 11 man link "wow, look at the score, no defense".
Wow. You know nothing about sixman. #numerofshutouts. #ppg given up/per game. Look it up. I posted some of it from the regular season.
Here' s the Strawn Defensive Guru, a little nervous on camera early season.

http://www.microplexnews.com/the-shutou ... episode-3/

Back