Commentary on Six-Man offenses

BE

Six-man fan
MY LIST OF SUSPECTS:

The Spread is exhausting.
The Unbalanced J'Bird is too limiting and overrated.
The Shotgun is anemic.
The Split T and I are like taking a knife to a gun fight.
The Spinning T is...wth knows!?

There is just one six-man set that guarantees any team a super-charged attacking offense with state-of-the-art options----the Double Wings. :)

And Chaca Rigdon is the best basketball player outside of RS in the state of Tejas.

BE":36chp7yn said:
MY LIST OF SUSPECTS:

The Shotgun is anemic.

There is just one six-man set that guarantees any team a super-charged attacking offense with state-of-the-art options----the Double Wings. :)

And Chaca Rigdon is the best basketball player outside of RS in the state of Tejas.

Spread is one of the hardest offenses to stop if it’s ran right and have a true SB. It’s very hard to defend. Weaknesses out of it: if the SB is more-so one dimensional/predictable. If he and the other players aren’t on the same page it’s going to be a disaster.

J/UJ - can be very effective with the right athletes. If you don’t have the athletes than it’s a very predictable offense. However, certain adjustments can be made to make it more effective.

Shotgun: do you mean a strictly passing offense? Or shotgun J/etc?

I/T: if you can’t stop it then good luck.

1) Technique
2) Personnel
3) System

I know that's the proper order but probably spend half the time on part 3, and I assume a lot of other people do too because no matter how much our rosters change most of us run very similar offenses year over year.
At least that's how it works up in this neck of the woods.

To me, a good run game is essential but having room to operate and counter is a big deal so it's probably going to look like a version of the common J Bird.

There are two sets from the 60's and 70's ran by O'Brien that are very interesting. The O'Brien Wing is currently being ran very effectively by Bastrop Tribe. It offers a team with bigger strong kids the ability to use power football in order to maintain possession with a very strong blocking scheme that includes both power and counters. It can easily transition into a spread attack with smaller quicker kids similar to the Wing Spread used by the late C.W. Williams.

The O'Brien Veer is the other set that was ran very effectively with very small, quick players that included the triple option (less blocking needed) and very deceptive counters and miss direction. Any former 11 man coach that has experience with either the Houston Veer or Wishbone can easily teach this offense.

When I was coaching sixman we ran a hybrid version of the Power Spread with a number of Air Raid principles in our pass game. We had pretty good success with it. I think the biggest thing as a coach is allowing yourself to evolve with the game. Kids skill sets and their overall athleticism are changing and you have to change with them to get the most out of their talents.

BE":g7wthszs said:
MY LIST OF SUSPECTS:

The Shotgun is anemic.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of the "Wishbone Spread" or "T out of the gun" similar to the one Grandfalls ran in 2013? Very few teams run it, but you can literally run spread pitch backs plus all the tight T plays out of it.

Hope you saw the pun in the opening post.

The "T with a Gun" is the Shotgun which we used before me in RS with the arrival of Clawson. He likely got it from Panther Creek while he was there. Mitch Lee ran it in certain situations. He crossed the Ends and ran a couple other patterns. Bobby Avery ran it much more often while at BC. Their QB, Colt ? used it to win state in 1997.

All those sets I mentioned are dandies if used in the best circumstances and taught correctly.
Dispense with the ritual, pointless drills and get your starters ready to operate a variety of weapons.

The Double Wings can even inflict a wound against a solid defense if used correctly and briefly.

Back