Collegiate Flag Football?

SixManNewb

Six-man fan
My son got an interesting email today from a small college in Ohio about a scholarship for flag football. I had no idea that was even a thing! It sounds like a lot of fun....probably not worth choosing a college for....but still fun. My son has had a great career and has gotten interest from several small colleges about continuing his football career, but he won't entertain any of them bc he says he's ready to move on with life and attend Texas Tech. He even turned down unofficial recruiting visits to Tarleton and North Texas. I thought those would be great experiences even if you had no intention of going there. Bringing it back to flag football, he's already forming his intramural flag football team for next fall.

It might be fun for the players, but do you think there will be any fans other than parents and friends?
Nah. It took me a bit to even find any reference to the flag football team. They play 11 man tackle, but the flag team is club and they only play a 4 game schedule.

It sounds like a lot of fun....probably not worth choosing a college for....but still fun.

If it's the only school offering a scholarship, it's definitely worth choosing! But, yeah, I know what you mean. If there are other offers, this probably wouldn't be my first choice.

That said, assuming the scholarship pays the same as the others, I wouldn't expect the workout/diet/prep routine to be nearly as involved for flag football as some of the other possibilities. Could be an easy ride as compared to others...

It might be fun for the players, but do you think there will be any fans other than parents and friends?

If it gets a kid the opportunity to go to college for free, who may not otherwise be able to go at all, who cares if there's anyone watching it?

If it's the only school offering a scholarship, it's definitely worth choosing! But, yeah, I know what you mean. If there are other offers, this probably wouldn't be my first choice.

That said, assuming the scholarship pays the same as the others, I wouldn't expect the workout/diet/prep routine to be nearly as involved for flag football as some of the other possibilities. Could be an easy ride as compared to others...

If it gets a kid the opportunity to go to college for free, who may not otherwise be able to go at all, who cares if there's anyone watching it?
Yeah....I get what you're saying, but I imagine the scholarship would be very small. My oldest son was an athlete in HS whose career ended due to knee injuries and actually got into cheerleading his senior year. He was offered a scholarship to Tulsa, but with the private school tuition, even with the scholarship, it would have cost 2x the price of anywhere else. I don't think they give full rides outside of D1 and he's certainly not getting any looks there. He's discussed trying to walk on. He's not big enough or fast enough, so it's definitely a very long shot, but it's one of those things where at least you never have to ask yourself "what if?".

Back