Coach's workout?

Dogface

Six-man fan
I was at a school several yrs. bk.
as an assistant,
where the boys work ethic
well, let's just say it wasn't that strong.
In the spring I started doing a light conditioning routine for myself.
All of a sudden it seemed like the boys wanted to workout like crazy,
if only, it seemed, to show me up.
I thought, heck, whatever.

Just wondering if any coaches out there
regularly work out with their team?
And then any other thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

You know doggie, I was recently considering this. Mostly a weight room thing since our kids don't get the chance to get in there very often.

I'm sure we could all use a little exercise
especially since it's our career field,
but,
how far should we need to take it?
Do we run every mile with them
just to show it can be done?

I started working out with the boys during spring drills last year for reasons. First, at 6'3 295# I couldn't see myself yelling at my kids that they needed to be fit when I wasn't. Second when I was promoted from engineer to Capt all of a sudden I had to start fighting fire again it was really beating me up. Heart attacks are the leading cause of firefighter deaths. I've drop to 257 and my goal is to be around 220. Not lifting to get big but just in shape. The guys love it when us coaches work out with them. Took doggy's advice and did manly crossfit type exercises because we didn't have a lot of weights or space but that changed this week. We had a anonymous donor buy almost 10,000# of weight with all kinds of equipment from a rec center that was being remodeled and moved it to a 2400 ft warehouse about a half mile from the school. Coaches if you can workout with your team they will love it. It will keep them motivated and it will help build a bond between you and your team.

fireguy5455":1il3l2hd said:
I started working out with the boys during spring drills last year for reasons. First, at 6'3 295# I couldn't see myself yelling at my kids that they needed to be fit when I wasn't. Second when I was promoted from engineer to Capt all of a sudden I had to start fighting fire again it was really beating me up. Heart attacks are the leading cause of firefighter deaths. I've drop to 257 and my goal is to be around 220. Not lifting to get big but just in shape. The guys love it when us coaches work out with them. Took doggy's advice and did manly crossfit type exercises because we didn't have a lot of weights or space but that changed this week. We had a anonymous donor buy almost 10,000# of weight with all kinds of equipment from a rec center that was being remodeled and moved it to a 2400 ft warehouse about a half mile from the school. Coaches if you can workout with your team they will love it. It will keep them motivated and it will help build a bond between you and your team.

Cool!
That's how you get a new weightroom!!!!
And,
a half mile jog down the road to it
makes for an excellent warmup!!

I had a similar issue this last season. Hard to tell kids that the most important thing in the game is conditioning when I was easily 30 pounds overweight. So after every practice I would run every wind sprint with them, not long after I started seeing them as I took my morning jog, I guess seeing their chubby coach run with them everyday must have had them feeling a little threatened. Its great motivation for me too, seeing my team work hard makes every practice even better.

I don't work out with the kids. It takes time away from coaching them. I will show them how to do it sometime, but I want to watch them make sure and do it right.
I've challenged a few to a race or pushups or jump rope, but not during the athletic period. I just feel coaches should be coaching, work out on your own time. Just coaching can be a good workout if you're active.

Old Bearkat":3kqv6sg7 said:
Dogface":3kqv6sg7 said:
Has anyone ran any 5k's?
Perhaps even with the boys?
I hear they make great fundraisers too.

How so? Bets on which coach has the first heart attack?
OK I tell you.

1. You charge a fee to run the thing.
2. If youth do it ( all the boys playing in the game for example, hint hint) they get people to sponsor them...for completion, for time, for place, for wearing their helmet, not getting beat by a girl/woman, whatever, etc.
3. Corporate sponsors, for water, juice, bananas, prizes etc.
4. Sell an event shirt (or key chain, coffee cup, dirt clod, whatever) to friends/fam. who aren't running.

Bamm!
Money running out your ears.

Back