Coach Arrested At Sanderson v Marfa Football Game

Leman Saunders":14834tnk said:
wths":14834tnk said:
I found it odd that Marfa had "a clear image" of the incident on video where Sanderson did not, aren't the two teams recording generally from the same spot? I also found it very odd that he was arrested right then and there on the spot. Lastly, I seem to remember this happening on an episode Friday Night Lights but they tried to arrest a player not the coach after a fight on the field where the game was halted under similar circumstances. Not real I know but very odd all the same and tragic for all parties involved.

As for the film I am not surprised at all...actually I am a little surprised Marfa had it (or at least some of it it appears) on film. Normally kids are recording the games for the coaches and now days they tend to stop recording immediately after the play stops.

I am curious if they filmed the WHOLE incident from the play to the arrest, as what happened after the players were broke up would be important in understanding somethings.

Yeah I would be interested to know exactly what's on tape and what isn't but as you said if they stop recording after the play they shouldn't have anything on tape which makes this all the more crazy but I guess it just depends on who was recording and when they stopped.

Bill O'Rielly":1dgofvw2 said:
Is this the same THUG that coached at Paducah last year?

Be careful when you use code words! ;)

I am going to tell a story that is comparable to this event. I remember one time in practice (at an 11-man school) I played D-line and tore it up against the JV. I guess my head got a little big because I quit listening to one of the coaches; he was a smaller Hispanic guy who coached running backs. Heck, I probably out weighted by 30 or 40 pounds. Anyways, he tackled me and put me on the ground. My dad saw him do it as a spectator at practice. What did my dad do? He laughed and thought the coach did the right thing. I am not that old as this happened in 2006.

While I know you are out of practice, Bill, since you lost your show on Fox, I think calling the Sanderson Coach a "thug" is out of line. The local officals in Marfa will make a determination as to the coaches' guilt, but it sounds like the kind of thing that would have been laughed off in 2006. Although we are "progressing" within society, it's up to us, the people, what behavior is acceptable or not acceptable.

This whole thing is crazy. BUT if you put your hands on another persons kids, you have put yourself at their mercy. I understand that I wasn't there. I understand that he was "just breaking up a fight." I understand that he might have been taking up for his kids. I know that you don't sling a kid to the ground, on accident or purpose, especially not from the other team.

Is there a chance that nothing comes of this and the charges are dropped. Yes. But there is a chance that it goes a lot further than that. And that is scary for our entire coaching community.

Regardless, a learning experience that no one thinks can possibly happen, and here it is. Take note, and good point: don't put your hands on another team's kid regardless of the circumstances!

Update:

This was a response to an email inquiry I sent to the UIL about the incident.

"The UIL is still in the process of gathering information about an incident between the Marfa High School and Sanderson High School football teams on Friday, September 7. NCAA playing rules state that any player or coach who leaves the team area to participate in an altercation will be ejected. The UIL’s automatic penalty for an ejection is suspension of the first half of the following game. Since all players on both teams were involved in this altercation, both teams will forfeit their next game. Additional penalties may be assessed by the individual schools, the district executive committees, and the UIL State Executive Committee"

Hey guys, I’ve read cheated, thug and POS and a lot more recently. Do You guys think you’re the only ones who read this site? If you must name call, cuss and pass judgement before ALL THE FACTS are in, go to PM OR another web site. Your crass, low class behavior MAKES EVERYONE LOOK LIKE AN IMBECILE! Grow up or go somewhere else, PLEASE!
Kids and parents read this site, please keep this in mind.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation.

Leman Saunders":112ydq5w said:
Update:

This was a response to an email inquiry I sent to the UIL about the incident.

"The UIL is still in the process of gathering information about an incident between the Marfa High School and Sanderson High School football teams on Friday, September 7. NCAA playing rules state that any player or coach who leaves the team area to participate in an altercation will be ejected. The UIL’s automatic penalty for an ejection is suspension of the first half of the following game. Since all players on both teams were involved in this altercation, both teams will forfeit their next game. Additional penalties may be assessed by the individual schools, the district executive committees, and the UIL State Executive Committee"

"Since all players from both teams were involved in this altercation..." What started the fight? An illegal hit, a punch, a trip, a kick, late spearing? Something incurring the immediate wrath of both teams, obviously. Maybe bad feelings were already present from a previous occurrence/call?

Leman, as I dare say Guru 2, food for thought. The available 8 second clip of the Coach being walked off in handcuffs is grainy and not well focused on the subject but in part on the crowd, like from a fan's cell phone. If both teams were filming from the press box and the play didn't end per se, "normally", with flags being thrown (?), players and Coaches rushing the field, might not even a student assistant be compelled to keep filming? If so, we can only hope the UIL, local school board and law enforcement officials will have it available in making their decisions. Then again we will probably see it if such exists.

Then we have Bill's assertion.

Bill O'Rielly":3hyjghv9 said:
There is HISTORY here with this POS and it’s on film.
Go ask the Supt. front Paducah.

Bill, we've commented on each other's comments several times in the last ten years, overall convivially I think. If you feel this stongly I hope you've brought this to the attention of the UIL. I guess the film is still available for their review if needed/deemed relevant by them.

In the course of reading all this I realized I'd seen him coach at least once as an assistant. 2003, as an assistant at Fort Davis vs Strawn in the state championship in Odessa (home of the real Friday Night Light's story). He was there several years in that capacity. I wonder if anyone from that area has any comments.

FCSA football":xyisbxkv said:
Hey guys, I’ve read cheated, thug and POS and a lot more recently. Do You guys think you’re the only ones who read this site? If you must name call, cuss and pass judgement before ALL THE FACTS are in, go to PM OR another web site. Your crass, low class behavior MAKES EVERYONE LOOK LIKE AN IMBECILE! Grow up or go somewhere else, PLEASE!
Kids and parents read this site, please keep this in mind.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and cooperation.

I have FACTS! Film doesn’t lie. Have you called the Paducah Supt and ask if he has done this before?
Kids & Parents need to know what he’s about! Stop trying to sugar coat crap like a snowflake.
That’s the problem with our world today, let’s shield our kids from facts.
So “if” he’s guilty of this incident also, then let’s just keep quite so his feeling are not hurt and maybe his chances of getting another job will not be effected as much.
People like him or these long time secretaries at these small schools (Lohn & Panther Creek) that have been arrested & charged for years of embezzlement need to be BLASTED BLASTED BLASTED so everyone knows how low down sorry they are!
I just don’t understand why the GOOD folks doesn’t want to call out the BAD people!

Spoken as an educated erudite should speak to the unwashed masses.
So eloquent, so calm, so collected. I just don’t know how they manage such a high level of intelligence!
Just saying........

Bill O'Rielly":1vaj8a99 said:
I have FACTS! Film doesn’t lie. Have you called the Paducah Supt and ask if he has done this before?
Kids & Parents need to know what he’s about! Stop trying to sugar coat crap like a snowflake.
That’s the problem with our world today, let’s shield our kids from facts.
So “if” he’s guilty of this incident also, then let’s just keep quite so his feeling are not hurt and maybe his chances of getting another job will not be effected as much.
People like him or these long time secretaries at these small schools (Lohn & Panther Creek) that have been arrested & charged for years of embezzlement need to be BLASTED BLASTED BLASTED so everyone knows how low down sorry they are!
I just don’t understand why the GOOD folks doesn’t want to call out the BAD people!

You don't have anything but your opinion. The coach may very well be everything you accuse him of, but some of us prefer to wait until someone other than an internet warrior pronounces judgement.

FCSA football":2y5hamwm said:
Speaking of “old Coyotes” who IS the oldest on this site? (notice I didn’t say Most Mature)
Just wondering...........:)

Ever been jerked around by the facemask hard enough your neck hurt a few days as a reminder?

Yeah, mine looked like a submarine helmet with a single bar. Next one was bigger, but with a clear 2" fiberglass, single bar on it. Also, got to wear green, army surplus, high-top tennis shoes. I was ready for any action!

Yep, Leather shoes, leather soles, nylon cleats, senior year we actually got rid of our old white game pants and got blue ones to match the jerseys! There as some serious styling going on! Coach wanted to grab you by the face mask and throw you into next week for messing up, no problem. Just make sure you didn't mess up in the game! Then you would have some serious problems in the "Bull Ring" the next week.
Momma's and Daddies usually backed the coach. Can you even imagine that now! Call the Lawyers !!!!!
Different time, different standards, different kids.

Back