Coach’s Quitting

You may be right or wrong. Personally, I’m getting back into coaching. I only know of one coach that is leaving the game for good. So I don’t know where you get your facts, but they may be miscued a bit.

Before COVID, you might have been right because coaching is a tough job with less compensation than some. Now, I think COVID will probably bring more people back into the teaching field in general because it offers more security than the private sector. This will probably be offset somewhat because some older employees might retire sooner to protect themselves.

How much will this virus affect athletics in the long-term? Personally, I think it will either affect it very little or we are going to be in such bad state that the world experiences something like the European Dark Ages. If you made me pick, I would choose the former. It sounds like you might be more inclined to accept the latter. Only time will tell, but I think for sure, if you're right, school will be conducted online or not at all. In that situation, I see your point.

No you’re right, not saying I’m not taking the precautions seriously because I am. I think this blows over (hopefully soon) and things will slowly get back to normal. Just my opinion though

Coach Roach":2vgcpajr said:
No you’re right, not saying I’m not taking the precautions seriously because I am. I think this blows over (hopefully soon) and things will slowly get back to normal. Just my opinion though

I agree, I was responding to the other guy. Sorry for not making that clear. If it's half as bad as some people say, everyone, not just coaches, will be worried about survival.

Maybe some people will re-evaluate some educational priorities.
Perhaps it will become more important for students to learn self reliance and how to provide food and housing instead of skills that the majority of kids will have no use in their futures..........

smokeyjoe53":1xhjneob said:
Maybe some people will re-evaluate some educational priorities.
Perhaps it will become more important for students to learn self reliance and how to provide food and housing instead of skills that the majority of kids will have no use in their futures..........

I’m not arguing with you with that at all. I definitely agree. But education is very important, and so are the type of jobs you mentioned.

Maybe I should have substituted “school” for “educational”, specifically extra curricular activities. I love watching school sports but, in my opinion, entirely to much emphasis is placed on them.

smokeyjoe53":10m497v2 said:
Maybe I should have substituted “school” for “educational”, specifically extra curricular activities. I love watching school sports but, in my opinion, entirely to much emphasis is placed on them.

I'll have to agreeably disagree with you there Smoky. After the "three R's" there can be more life lessons learned in sports than in a most of the other courses in school. Just think about it for a minute. Hard work, perseverance, paying attention to what you are doing and what those around you are doing, etc. JMO

No problem Mr. South. Just my thoughts ...................
Although I do think way too much time is devoted to some extra-curricular activities.......

Johnny South":2xul2j5u said:
smokeyjoe53":2xul2j5u said:

I'll have to agreeably disagree with you there Smoky. After the "three R's" there can be more life lessons learned in sports than in a most of the other courses in school. Just think about it for a minute. Hard work, perseverance, paying attention to what you are doing and what those around you are doing, etc. JMO

I agree with you. Sports in general teach so many life lessons. I have seen sports save some kid's lives including my own. Extra curricular activities in general help develop students all around. That extra time teaches them to manage time and work through struggles to figure out how to get work done on deadlines as well as keep their commitment to their brothers in arms.

Johnny South":15ihqr5t said:
smokeyjoe53":15ihqr5t said:

JS, that seems like a lot of the life lessons that students should be learning in class, hard work, perseverance, paying attention. If that's not happening in the classroom and only on the fields and courts of play, we better be ready for change. That's some crappy teaching going on if so.

Actually,
Both my kids left athletics
because of the win only
attitude of their coaches.
They attend a school
I'm sure you would consider
a successful school
because of several winning years?
Yet, They both struggle
with their academics
due to so much classtime lost
and other lacking teaching strategies.
I tried to create balanced
cultures at every school
I served, to no avail.
I'm no longer in the industry.
There seems to be as much corruption in education as there is in politics now.
Jus sayin.

Back