Celebration into the Endzone

life,

i agree with chuck

but disagree with the ref being put in the position to effect the outcome of a contest based on his thoughts at that moment in time... this comes back to you have the wrong group administering the punishment... i as a parent can handle this just fine. my coaches didn't have any problem either you ever wonder why hmmm point to ponder?>?? what do you think?

Everyone needs to view the video on the web today of the Louisville, KY football player called for penalty after touchdown. Gave other team field position and it changed the outcome of the game. The point was not unlike what I saw last week and I still think is was NOT excessive celebration and our refs did not call it but many wanted it called. By the way article said that the referee association defended the action as the correct call.

I want you all ( refs ) to know that I fully understand you do a great job and sometimes are hampered by the inability of the rule makers to adequately address what they think the problem is.

burnerman":12dqaql2 said:
Everyone needs to view the video on the web today of the Louisville, KY football player called for penalty after touchdown. Gave other team field position and it changed the outcome of the game. The point was not unlike what I saw last week and I still think is was NOT excessive celebration and our refs did not call it but many wanted it called. By the way article said that the referee association defended the action as the correct call.

I want you all ( refs ) to know that I fully understand you do a great job and sometimes are hampered by the inability of the rule makers to adequately address what they think the problem is.

Burner ... I joke with refs before the game that the rules that night are whatever they say they are. Let's hope officials use some discretion on this rule and "miss" some calls ... just like they miss all those block-in-the-back calls against our opponents :)

Seriously, though, my guess is that unless some ref is really wanting to test out that new whistle he got over the summer, the times you'll see this call administered to the letter of the law is (1) if it's really out-of-line or (2) there's been problems elsewhere in that game.

When I was playing my coach always told us. "If you don't like the judgement of the official, then don't do anything that puts the official in a postion to use his judgement" To me, if I were still playing and this rule was in effect. I'm not risking anything. I'm giving the ball to the official and running my tail over to my sideline and celebrate all I want. I don't agree with the foul being calling on the kid pointing to the sky, but being that we have seen it called, to me it would not be worth the risk, so I would get to my sideline and point all I want over there. Let's also remember that the kid who was penalized for pointing was not from Texas where we use NCAA rules. Those other states have different rules and guildelines than we do here.

Back