Built Ford Tough: Are You Tough Enough?

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
Every week during football season here in Texas, Ford and Fox Sports team up to give out a weekly award for the Player of the Week in every UIL football classification. Well that is except one...you guessed it...1A.

Here is a recent article in the Mineral Wells Index by Russell Huffman trying to shine some light on this:

https://www.mineralwellsindex.com/sport ... ium=social

This is not a new issue. Many have tried in vain to get 1A included in this weekly award. I started trying to push for 1A inclusion feverishly in 2017 only to have it fall upon deaf ears.

Ford has an advisory board made up of Texas Sports Writers that make "nominations" for this weekly award. I did obtain a list of this board back in 2017 and sent out emails to these writers asking why 1A was excluded and if they could push for 1A to be included. I only received one response back from a writer that is located in an area of the state with very little six-man teams. He nicely passed the buck back on to Ford.
*I will note that one of the main advisors was a writer from the Abilene area, who's coverage area has more 1A schools than any other single classification, and he did not bother to reply.

Simply put, if they wanted to have a 1A player they could have one. There is no logical argument for excluding this one UIL classification. You can't argue that the schools are so rural it is hard to get information to make a selection, because there is no real difference in that regard from 1A and 2A schools. So why then single out this one UIL classification and ignore it?

I was left with the feeling that the advisory board has no interest in taking on the extra work involved in picking a 1A player of the week and it is mostly due to the fact that it is 6-man and not 11-man. What else are we left to think? It boils down to two things: Laziness and what I term as 11-man prejudice.

It could be argued that the toughest players on Friday nights are those in the smallest of schools who are playing both sides of the ball, as well as filling roles on special teams, playing virtually every single second of game time. The added irony to all this is that those same kids then will get up early on Saturday to work on rural Texas farms and ranches probably driving a Ford pickup truck.

I'm happy to know in these small schools and communities this has never gone unnoticed, thanks in large part to the hard working sports writers and reporters who DO take the extra time to cover and recognize little ol’ class 1A and 6-man football. Ford and their Built Ford Tough advisory board should be ashamed that they willingly choose not to recognize these rural and small town Texas Friday night heroes. THEY are the ones who aren't tough enough.

Addition:

It is important to point out Fox Sports is the least to fault here, after all they essentially just announce the awards every week. In fact, Fox Sports has done its fair share of heavy lifting in making strides the past few years to treat 6-man and 1A like all other classifications. Thanks in part to organizations like the UIL, Texas Six-Man Coaches Association, Dave Campbell’s and individuals such as Craig way, Granger Huntress and Greg Tepper, Fox Sports does a great job of talking about 1A games and schools on their Friday night show and last year for the first time reaired the 1A state championship games on television with hopes of airing those games live in the near future if the financial logistics can be worked out. Ultimately this injustice can only be laid at the feet of the Built Ford Tough team and advisory board.

From The Fence:
It is sad that our kids go out week in and week out, play both sides of the ball, pour their heart and souls into the game and get very little if any recognition from the larger cities and Broadcasting companies that would say it is just "Small School" Football.
The local small town communities, news papers, radio stations and even the volunteers who take personal time to give these kids the "Spotlight" are a true testament to the Sixman community and our love for every kid out there playing the game we all love.
Big Thanks to Sixmanfootball.com, Texas1aFan, Sixmania, Big Country Blitz, Texas Sports Broadcasting, SixmanFan and DCTF and many many more who I regrettably can't remember at this moment for everything you do for Sixman Football and our kids and Coaches.

Last edited:
From the Fence:

Also just want to point out that it frustrates me to no end that once 1A Football shows up to Jerry's World for the State Championships every broadcaster and news reporter seems to be an "Expert" on Sixman Football when they haven't covered a single game or player all season!!
Didn’t granger do it one year? I seem to remember him doing so and doing extremely well.

Didn’t granger do it one year? I seem to remember him doing so and doing extremely well.
If you're talking about him doing the broadcasts of the state games yes, he and a guy named I believe Craig Way did it for multiple years. Then Granger stopped for a year or two I think, but if I remember right, he was back this past year (I was at the game, not watching it on tv).

From the Fence:

Call me old fashioned but......

I really enjoy the Texas Sports Broadcasting network. Gooney from Borden County does a great job for them, his play calling and interaction during his broadcast is really good. He also goes to Arlington and calls every State Championship game on that network. Also I forget his name, and I feel really bad for it, but the guy who does the Happy Sports Network is awesome at calling the games. I gave him huge kuddos after he called the Happy vs Westbrook game this year in Jayton.
It's fun to tune into a game where the broadcaster gets really into it and calls the game so well that you can see it in your head even if you have no idea what any of the players look like or who any of the players are.
Just wish there were more games out there with a little light being shown on them and the players and coaches. And back on topic if they can give Awards to the big schools and players they should definitely include 1A in the mix as well.

if they can give Awards to the big schools and players they should definitely include 1A in the mix as well

Well, I'm going to do my best to at least get an answer as to why it doesn't happen, even if I can't get anything done about it. @Leman Saunders tried before and was pretty much shut down at every turn so I'm not expecting anything different...but we'll see what happens!

Well, I'm going to do my best to at least get an answer as to why it doesn't happen, even if I can't get anything done about it. @Leman Saunders tried before and was pretty much shut down at every turn so I'm not expecting anything different...but we'll see what happens!
Pitch the idea to Chevrolet and have them bring back "Like a Rock" by Bob Segar.

Chevrolets "Rockstar" 1A Player of the Week.

Now that I typed it out it just doesn't sound as good as it did in my head 😅
But you get the idea.....

Last edited:
Back