Better 6 man football?

This debate surfaces every two or three years. Are there some really good privates? Absolutely. Are private schools on par with public schools? Not even close. The best privates can't compete year in and year out with even better than average public schools. When you have to cite the exceptions to make your point, you've kinda already lost the debate.

Okay you made me spend more time on this than I wanted so here are the facts.
The top 5 ranked private schools have won over 75% of their games with public schools. If you want to spend the time to look at it yourself you might find that number closer to 80% but I quit counting towards the end.

If you take the exception away that the best public schools almost always beat the best private schools then your averages change.
No one can argue that private schools can consistently play with the top 5 of public, but the best of private certainly can play with really good public schools and have for years. But, if you add in the simple fact that 98% of the public schools can't play with the top 5 ranked public school teams then it's not really a matter of private or public being better. It's more of a fact that there are certain public schools that consistantly put teams on the field that are better than ANY other school they play.

Honestly, what difference does it make outside of the sake of arguing. Public vs Private only occurs in non-district play only and outside of that it’s a pointless argument.

Also, the sample size is skewed due to the low numbers of TAPPS sixman schools vs UIL sixman schools.

CoachBrinkman":3sjs33pw said:
If you take the exception away that the best public schools almost always beat the best private schools then your averages change.
No one can argue that private schools can consistently play with the top 5 of public, but the best of private certainly can play with really good public schools and have for years. But, if you add in the simple fact that 98% of the public schools can't play with the top 5 ranked public school teams then it's not really a matter of private or public being better. It's more of a fact that there are certain public schools that consistantly put teams on the field that are better than ANY other school they play.
Apples and oranges...... compare apples and apples .........or prunes and prunes..........

smokeyjoe53":4h1exauq said:
CoachBrinkman":4h1exauq said:
Apples and oranges...... compare apples and apples .........or prunes and prunes..........

I'm pretty sure that is apples to apples. Comparing both situations the same way.

coachbronk":2c6wf5je said:
Honestly, what difference does it make outside of the sake of arguing. Public vs Private only occurs in non-district play only and outside of that it’s a pointless argument.

Also, the sample size is skewed due to the low numbers of TAPPS sixman schools vs UIL sixman schools.

I agree with you completely! Maybe just a boring Sunday.

The most important thing to note today is the Blackwell Hornets are 6-0 and are ranked in the top 10! Proud of my sons sophomore #2 varsity QB and freshman #11 jv QB. This team is special and at the end of the day it's fun to talk football but way more important and fun to see your kids being successful.

Maybe...... I look at it a little differently....... best plays best. Best privates playing average or below average is not really an accurate test. Same thing for public...... makes me no difference really

smokeyjoe53":83vbis3a said:
Maybe...... I look at it a little differently....... best plays best. Best privates playing average or below average is not really an accurate test. Same thing for public...... makes me no difference really

I agree with you on that. My points have been only to point out that private schools can play with good public schools. The best private will lose almost every time to the best public. If you put the top private against a #10-#20 ranked public and it will be a good game.

JH PACER COACH":34fxl95s said:
I love 6 man football, so with that said I have a question for all the wise 6 man fans. Going off of this year and not the past, how would the best public school teams fair against the best private school teams? Take the top 3 teams from UIL, TAPPS, TCAL, TCAF, and TAIAO put them in a playoff scenario and who comes out on top?
Guess I was actually trying to adhere to the guidelines imposed on the original post..........

CoachBrinkman":2fwsn4fp said:
I have coached both and I just don't agree with you 100%. I'm not going to take the time to go through years of data, but to use a few games from this year:
D1 current ranked #8 Union Hill is 5-0 and their closest game has been a private school 96-78.
D1 current ranked #19 Anton 5-1 closest game was a private school 66-64. (Other than loss)
D1 current ranked #26 Medina 6-0 closest game was a private school 16-37
D2 current ranked #9 Calvert closest game was a private school 46-62.
My point is that most private schools don't play a lot of public schools, but when they do they represent themselves well a lot of the times. Definitely Not a hands down beating you reference. Of course those happen too, but not fair to private schools to say they can't play with public schools.
Isnt Union Hill 5-0 because they cancelled/forfeited on Strawn?
Jus sayin.

Dogface2":2gspof9a said:
CoachBrinkman":2gspof9a said:
I have coached both and I just don't agree with you 100%. I'm not going to take the time to go through years of data, but to use a few games from this year:
D1 current ranked #8 Union Hill is 5-0 and their closest game has been a private school 96-78.
D1 current ranked #19 Anton 5-1 closest game was a private school 66-64. (Other than loss)
D1 current ranked #26 Medina 6-0 closest game was a private school 16-37
D2 current ranked #9 Calvert closest game was a private school 46-62.
My point is that most private schools don't play a lot of public schools, but when they do they represent themselves well a lot of the times. Definitely Not a hands down beating you reference. Of course those happen too, but not fair to private schools to say they can't play with public schools.
Isnt Union Hill 5-0 because they cancelled/forfeited on Strawn?
Jus sayin.

Honestly not sure on that one....I was just grabbing stats

Dogface,

Like your coaching career, you are once again blabbing your mouth about something you know nothing about. If you or anyone else wants to know about the decision for Union Hill and Strawn not to play the game, maybe you should ask myself or coach Lee. But I'm sure you would rather not do that. Guys like you are much stronger behind the comfort of a computer screen.

Just an observation,
not a judgement.

In my short and feeble career
I shared my thoughts with many face 2 face.
I found no one interested in my integrity based opinions either so...
I'm definitely out of the game now
and am ok with it.

The Tioga coach claimed to have good reasons.

Ok, I gotta jump in here. Several reasons I believe that all things being equal Public schools have the advantage over the long term, and consistently win over private, and I coach private.
1. Public schools as a rule have a long term history of constantly fielding teams. Coaches,Superintendents and principals come and go but the school, its traditions and pride are still there.
Private programs, like the tides, come and go. They may play for several years and be successful, but if they don't field a team for a year or two, it is next to impossible to maintain any consistency.
2. Both public and private programs have to deal with problem parents, but they can't shut a public program down. In Private, parents with the right last name or right pull can. Public school coaches have contracts, private school coaches have contacts.
For the most part, public schools will have football no matter the won lost record or who the coach is.
Private programs have no public funding and as a result are at the mercy and whims of a few, unaccountable decision makers and when things become controversial or continuous, funding dries up and possibly the program shuts down, only to try and be revived later.
Bottom line, school boards and superintendents provide a buffer for coaches and football.
There is no similar line of defense for a private program, which is why there are so many cancellations during the season. Parents in a private program get together based on some "reason" and hold their kids out.
They couldn't and wouldn't try the same thing with a public school program. They would be run out of town. So it boils down to longevity, public schools with their long term history and traditions will attract the best players that want to be a part of that tradition and history. With few exceptions, pointed out by several others in this thread, private can't compete with that.

Back