Best Wr You have seen

B6MF

Six-man fan
Since we have done the best qb. Who is the best WR u have seen and also who is the best WR you have seen this year. Are they possesion WRs where they can catch the ball play after play taking big hits or are they big play WRs to where they can get seperation for the long ball to take it in for the Touchdown.

Best player I have ever seen...I have to think about

Best QB I have ever seen...I have to think about

Best RB I have ever seen...I have to think about

Best WR I have ever seen.....easy

Brandon Hoskins

Brandon did not play college football. Competed NCAA DI Track and Field. 4 year decathlete at Liberty University. US Olympic trials qualifier.

Holds the school decathlete scoring record as well as some individual records. Two time All American.

It was something to see - that much human
( 6'4" - 220 ) on a pole vaulting pole clearing over 16' and running sub 48 sec. in the 400 meters.

Just a side note here … Clendon Henderson from Meadow Texas was also a decathlete at Liberty when Brandon was there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic….

I would have to agree with Hoskins on this one. Anyone have any stats on him? Just curious what kind of numbers he racked up.

Brandon did not have huge stats. Was used as part of the offense. As a weapon having him on the receiving end of kick offs and punts was devastating. Don't know what his run back for TD % was but it was phenomenal. This went along with his % on catches and then runs that resulted in TD's.

His receiving and rushing numbers were also not huge because Whit 45'd so many teams they played during his career.

I remember one game where he had returned 3 punts for TD's and I believe one Kick off in the first half. I was on the fence of the opposing team as they ( who will remain nameless ) came back on the field for the second half. Two of their players came to the fence to talk to their dad's. While just shaking his head in frustration one of the kids comment about Hoskins - " The guy is just not human ".

I had the same sort of thoughts the times I saw T Ethridge play.

He still should have pretty good numbers even in a half. Morris from Ira has all year. I'm a math teacher so I really just like to look at the numbers for fun. His return % would be an awesome stat to see. Would still like to see his receptions, yards, and tds if anyone has them. Tackles and picks would be nice to see too. I know this is not a post about him but just curious. He made one of the most impressive one handed picks I have ever seen.

I saw them both and Rory Peakcock was the best WR...he was a WR in college and was the best in McMurry's history and he was on their track teams as well...I can't quote all his track accomplishments...I'm not versed in them...but I do know he was also a track star...and they tried to get him to play on their basketball team but he didn't want to play bball. Rory was slightly taller than Hoskins...I think those 2 are the best 2 I have seen.

Rory Peacock, has to be one of the best if not the best ever! He still holds Woodson school records in track (110 hurdles and triple jump). Not only a receiver, but PURE athlete!!

I'll start with a disclaimer of prejudice - got to coach Brandon and am blessed to call him my friend to this day. I've got all his stats somewhere, but I'll have to find where I stashed them.

I never saw Peacock - but I've seen them all since then and no one else even comes close.

I am fairly sure his senior year he ran back 7 out of 8 kickoffs kicked to him for touchdowns - the only one he didn't was the one where his heel got clipped and he landed awkwardly and dislocated his elbow against Fort Elliot in the playoffs.

He never had more 4 or 5 catches in a game - usually for 3 tds or so, largely because his dad wanted to make sure no one thought he was just trying to get his son the ball. Ken's glaring weakness as a Hall of Fame Coach was he didn't get Brandon the ball enough. But we had a lot of weapons. Rocky Reyna ran for just under 2000 yards as a JR, Victor Portillo was a great running back / utility back (he's the kid on the pictures at the top of this website #5), Jordan Barker was a phenomenal spreadback (one that I've heard BE say was an inspiration for Tyler E). And what made that group special was Brandon was the most unselfish player i've ever coached. The most devastating blocker i've ever seen. One more than one occasion he told his dad to just get in tight and give Rocky the ball and I'll get him a path to the endzone. Something you'll never hear most WR's say or be able to do. A good coach who was an all-state DE in his playing days still talks to me about how he got absolutely mauled by Brandon as a blocker.

Anyway - I wouldn't turn any of the guys listed away. All great players and all "the best" to someone which is what makes sports great. I've been lucky to coach a few of them - the ones mentioned above, Alex Halfmann, Brett Chudej, Josh Colunga, etc... - and none were on Brandon's level.

PS - Chap_24 - ask Ol' Griz if Brandon was a good safety.... I think he was a better safety than WR ...another topic

I wouldnt even put Peacock in top 2.

Mark Williams - RS
2005 - 40-833--23 TD's
2006 - 46-1274-24 TD's
2007 - 44-986--23 TD's

Pretty impresive numbers....and how many state titles? How many did Peacock have?

Brandon Hoskins - Whit

Super athletic and would have put up HUGE numbers if Whit threw the ball more during his tenure.

7 out of 8 isn't a bad percentage I guess. And I remember the one he didn't I believe he didn't play in the second half of that game and yall lost because of that. I remember him playing plenty of safety too Coach A, I was sure glad he graduated by the time I came around. Even though I think you had him pick on me as just a little bitty sophomore in basketball as I attempted to guard him. His track career turned out pretty good but I think it would have been cool to see him try to play college ball.

I had the pleasure of playing against Whit in '00 and '01and coming out on the winning end once. But Brandon was unbelievable at WR, and at safety was scary. I surely wish I could have seen Rory play though sounds like it would have been awesome.

I know a lotof people don't know this name, but Brice Helton from JCS in 97-00 was a pretty dang good WR, SB, and RB. Due to the system his team ran he played more in the back field, but everytime he set foot out at WR he was making some spectacular catch. I would have like to see him with a Whit or RS offense just to see the numbers, but I wouldn't want to give away the memories I have of blocking for him.

But Brandon still takes ther cake as far as what I have seen.

Back