Avery Johnson fired!!!

hogcaller10

11-man fan
I personally think this was a stupid move. :evil: :evil: :evil: He didn't make the trade for Kidd....Cuban did that! The Mavs need to trade (if possible) Eric Dampier, Josh "Pothead" Howard, and Jason Kidd. They need to keep Dirk (although some will disagree), Stack, and Terry and find a big man and a point guard that can play with these three.

Can we get Nash back? :oops: :cry:

The bad thing about all of this is they now have to sleep in the bed they pissed in. The Mavs now have to take on a huge payroll and don't have any young talent...except Bass......and they have no first round draft picks! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And above all else......I posted this in the wrong thread! :oops: :twisted:

Avery got fired cause he didnt use Kidd right. He still wanted to play the halfcourt iso game....thats not what Kidd does well...if the bring in a run and gun coach with defensive tendencies then the Mavs will be good

granger":2sfvw6ys said:

I guess i can pull for the Spurs,,Only Because the franchise did start in Dallas? Go Chap's...Whatever happened to radio voice Terry Stembridge?

fattydance.gif

I believe Terry is in East Texas. I want to say he was doing SFA games or something like that... brings back memories of listening to the Spurs on KTSA 550 AM on my old clock radio.

Hogcaller is right. This falls on Cuban, not Avery. He knew what kind of coach he had and his style. I hope AJ becomes an asst in SA... good guy.

BTW, if Avery is so bad, how did he get this team further than Nellie ever did? I do not think a DN-coached team ever made the finals... and I think the guy is a hell of a coach.

granger":qbwecwzf said:
I believe Terry is in East Texas. I want to say he was doing SFA games or something like that... brings back memories of listening to the Spurs on KTSA 550 AM on my old clock radio.

Hogcaller is right. This falls on Cuban, not Avery. He knew what kind of coach he had and his style. I hope AJ becomes an asst in SA... good guy.

BTW, if Avery is so bad, how did he get this team further than Nellie ever did? I do not think a DN-coached team ever made the finals... and I think the guy is a hell of a coach.

The San Antonio paper is talking about the idea that D'Antonini may get the axe in Phoenix. Steve Kerr is GM there (former Spur and Avery teammate) and don't be suprised if Avery shows up there and puts in a Spurs-style defense (Chicago and New York are also discussed). And D'Antonini could be a good choice in Dallas, running an up-tempo game using Jason Kidd (although his $21M option next year is a problem).

Stembridge is in Tyler or Longview or somewhere like that. There was an article about him a few weeks ago in the Express News with the Spurs 35th year.

Stembridge has to be one the all time great basketball radio annoucer's,When i was a kid,i would put the ol transistor 9volt radio under my pillow at night and listen to Stembridge do the Dallas Chap's games,When they moved to SA i was dissapointed,but one good thing at night time i could tune in that radio dail to 1200 [i think :?: ] and pick up the Chaps,oh i mean the Spurs game up,Good ol days..

And Yes all this does fall on Cuban,Trading a very young and improving point guard and "Two" first round picks,for an aging non shooting vet,that i could beat in a game of horse,[only if he don't dunk]
Cuban wasn't even in town yesterday for the firing of AJ,The news here showed the guy at Wrigley,at a Cubs game.

Go Ranger's!

The Mavs need to trade (if possible) Eric Dampier, Josh "Pothead" Howard, and Jason Kidd.

I think that the lack of an inside game is Dallas' biggest problem. I also know that Dampier isn't great, but is there a higher quality center available? I can't think of one. I guess they could look to take one in the draft, but it will probably take 3 years to get the guy ready to play in the NBA.

Jason Kidd? No.

Josh Howard? Are you insane?!? You can't be a Mavericks fan. You're talking about getting rid of 20 points and 9 boards a night. Why?

If you're going to trade someone, trade Stack. He's not near the player that Josh Howard is and he is 6 years older. Ofcourse, you won't get near the value.

If the Mavs could somehow get a quality center, can you imagine the lineup?

1) Kidd
2) Terry
3) Howard/Stack
4) Dirk/Bass
5) ?

It won't happen, though. We'll be forced to watch the Mavs try to get out and run, even though they aren't suited for it and they're 5 years older than when they played that style for Nellie.

:(

DiStUrBeD_oNe":r3higjrs said:
Josh Howard? Are you insane?!? You can't be a Mavericks fan. You're talking about getting rid of 20 points and 9 boards a night. Why?

Um yeah I am a Mavs fan! Here's a few reasons to trade him:
1. He sucked it up in the playoffs.
2. He's a pot head!
3. Obviously distracted when outside life is question by media!
4. He went to a party the same night of getting killed by Hornets. The guy's head is not in basketball when it matters the most.

He does have some trade value right now....maybe worth a first rounder? Big man? Young, quick point guard that can guard Paul, Williams, and Parker?

markf":ialxq585 said:
Stembridge has to be one the all time great basketball radio annoucer's,When i was a kid,i would put the ol transistor 9volt radio under my pillow at night and listen to Stembridge do the Dallas Chap's games,When they moved to SA i was dissapointed,but one good thing at night time i could tune in that radio dail to 1200 [i think :?: ] and pick up the Chaps,oh i mean the Spurs game up,Good ol days.

Well, the story was more than a few weeks ago ... and I do remember going to Game 6 of the 1979 series against Washington where the Spurs blew a 3-1 lead ... a few months after I moved to SA and I became a Spurs fan ... I still can remember going to games at the old Hemisfair more than I remember going to games at the Alamodome and ATT Center (even though I had season tickets for several years, mostly at the Dome)...

By the way, that series is credited with one of the great lines in sports, "The opera ain't over until the fat lady sings," credited to Bullets coach Dick Motta. However, he stole it from long-time San Antonio sportscaster and columnist Dan Cook.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/colu ... 20c54.html

Tim Griffin: Stembridge reminisces about days as Spurs' first announcer

Web Posted: 06/11/2007 12:39 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Terry Stembridge has never forgotten his association with the Spurs.

Sitting on his couch at his Kilgore home, the team's original play-by-play announcer still intently follows the Spurs during the playoffs.

It's kind of hard for him not to because his memories run deeply. He was one of the first employees hired when the team started as the Dallas Chaparrals in the American Basketball Association in 1967.

He followed the team to San Antonio in the summer of 1973, working with the team six seasons. When he left, he had a streak of calling 1,252 consecutive games — every one in the team's history to that point.

But during the first summer in San Antonio, Stembridge sometimes wondered if the franchise would succeed.

"I remember being here in October and wondering what I was doing here," Stembridge said. "Then it took off."

Stembridge's final game was one of the most heartbreaking losses in Spurs history.

That loss to Washington in Game 7 of the 1979 Eastern Conference finals is something Stembridge remembers to this day — and not only because it was the last basketball game he did on the radio.

"There was a really important foul call against Billy Paultz that John Vanak called that turned the momentum around," Stembridge said. "We were ahead that whole game, and I thought we would win. It was a tough one to lose."

That loss came on a Friday night. Stembridge was at his new job the following Monday morning, still wondering if he had made the right decision.

Stembridge did occasional Spurs games on television later in his career and twice turned down a chance to become the voice of the Dallas Mavericks. He also was offered a chance to call the Dallas Cowboys games in the mid-1990s.

Stembridge, 69, has thrived financially according to friends and never regretted leaving pro sports behind.

"Early on, I kind of missed it, but I've had a wonderful several decades since I left," Stembridge said. "I've enjoyed the oil and gas business. In it, the old guy still has a place. I'm hoping there's still a chance for me."

He is a good coach and I have alot of respect for him. I think it was good for the Mavs to go in another direction. He lost his team along time ago!

Dan Cook was a great Sports Columinist! A legend..

I would like to see Avery as a Assitant to Pop, but he will get a Head Coaching job next year, if he wants one. I would not be surprised to see him in Phoenix.

I remember seeing a few games at the Hemisfair Arena, sitting in the obstructed view seats. The Alamodome was not a good place to watch Spurs games, unless you were sitting on the side of the curtain. And contrary to most people's belief, the Alamodome WAS NOT built for the Spurs. It was built for Jerry and his Boys. :)

cowboyfan40":2scpg96c said:
Dan Cook was a great Sports Columinist! A legend..

I would like to see Avery as a Assitant to Pop, but he will get a Head Coaching job next year, if he wants one. I would not be surprised to see him in Phoenix.

I remember seeing a few games at the Hemisfair Arena, sitting in the obstructed view seats. The Alamodome was not a good place to watch Spurs games, unless you were sitting on the side of the curtain. And contrary to most people's belief, the Alamodome WAS NOT built for the Spurs. It was built for Jerry and his Boys. :)

I saw Dan Cook a few years back leaving a doctor's office. He did not look good and I doubt if he's been in public in the last three years or so.

Avery on the Spurs staff would be great. But he's gonna get a head coaching job somewhere and my money is on Phoenix, especially with Steve Kerr as GM of the Suns.

Agreed on the seating in the dome ... we had seats behind the basket about 50 rows up, but watching the game from the upper stands was like watching ants on the sidewalk. Actually, the dome was built not for the Cowboys but to get an expansion team or a moving team. I think the closest it ever came was when Red McCombs owned the Vikings and there was also a chance in the early 90's, when Jacksonville and Carolina came into the league.

The story around San Antonio is that Jones does not want a team in San Antonio, as San Antonio, Austin and South Texas are valuable secondary markets for the Cowboys. And by this time, the dome would need significant upgrades for NFL use; it seats somewhere around 67,000 for football and most NFL stadiums are now above 70 to 80,000 capacity.

When the Spurs moved in there, I told friends that it would never be a long-term home for the team ... within several years, we got the AT&T Center based on a sales tax on hotel rooms and car rentals; San Antonio is now voting whether to extend that tax to fund upgrades to the AT&T Center, accompanying rodeo facilities, and other arts, sports and tourist projects.

Was just joking about the Dome being build for the Cowboys. Jerry definetly does not want a team in this area to take away some of his popularity/revunue. Yes, the Dome was built with the idea to bring an expansion team or to convince Red to move his Vikings, which was a possibility at one time. But it will never get the upgrades it needs to be considered for a full-time team. However, the Dome has been a Major plus to San Antonio with the Bowl Games, NCAA basketball, and now the 5A championships. I still think Sixman should bring it's championship games to the Dome! :D

hogcaller10":1i3cd5nr said:
alcy":1i3cd5nr said:
San Antonio would NEVER allow any LOSERS like the Cowboys to move to town! :lol:

I guess tht's why they once had Dennis Rodman on the team? :lol:

Cowboys, losers?? Lol, must be a Cowboys Hater. I guess there are millions of "loser fans" all over the US.

Even great teams like the Spurs make a occasional mistake now then.

cowboyfan40":1ac54i60 said:
BTW, the Cowboys do come to SA now! They hold training camp at the Dome.

I don't think they will train in San Antonio in 2008. If I rememeber right, there was a scheduling conflict with a major convention at the time the last deal was done between Jerry Jones and the Alamodome; they will return to San Antonio in 2009.

I think I may have been right on this one ...

With D'Antonini going to the Knicks (good luck, pal) ... the Phoenix job is open.

I'm thinking Avery gets that job ...

Spurs in 6 ... then the Lakers ... then the Celtics ... and a repeat.

Back