Avery and Martinez Retiring

First off...I want to wish Bobby Avery the best and a big salute from me. I coached against each year during my tenure at Wellman-Union, and I enjoyed coaching against him as well as getting to know him over the years. A good man and I wish Avery well in all his future endeavors.

Now, onto my father Felix Martinez from Lorenzo. Where to begin. It will be odd not seeing him coaching on those Lorenzo sidelines for the first time in 33 years (Yes, his entire coaching career was in Lorenzo). I still remember my younger days as his manager (water boy, ball boy, etc.), all those early 2-a-day mornings and late Friday nights after home games or coming back from a long trip back home. Playing for him beginning my 7th grade year until I graduated...and on to seeing him coach/teach post-graduation. Now, keep in mind Lorenzo was 11-man all my years in grade school and didn't join 6-man ranks until 2 years after I left. I'll have to admit, we both were not into the transition of 6-man when it was first brought up in Lorenzo...as like many once-known 11-man schools in the past. Little did I know that after 23 years of coaching 11 man, me playing 11 man football, that he would retire after 10 years in 6-man and I finished my 4th year coaching 6 man football. I can honestly say, 6 man football has become a passion of mine, I enjoy every bit of the game and I know my father has used the words "After being around six man as long as I have, I respect it and enjoy it." We even had our first and only "Martinez Bowl" game during the 2014 season. I do remember telling my father of how cool it would be to coach against him. His response, (shakes his head) "You can't hang with this." haha. This conversation was made during my senior year in high school 12 years ago now. The "Martinez Bowl" game was one for the ages and will forever be one of my fondest memories not just out on that field, but our lives. It is a rarity to have a father/son matchup, but the energy both communities had, both teams had, and even the competitive head coaches had was unforgettable. In case some of you didn't know how the game panned out, the score was Lorenzo 36, Wellman-Union 31. It was an excellent game, one that I would've loved to have won honestly, but the good Lord has blessed us with this opportunity and I couldn't be more thankful. Now, that my father is retiring, I want to take this chance to tell let my father know how proud I am of him and a HUGE CONGRATS and SALUTE to him. He has been a mentor for many lives not just in Lorenzo, but also out. He would never shut the door on any student, especially if the young man who should play football and he didn't, he would still help. Having a coach spend his or her entire career at one school may not ever be seen again, at least for awhile. Overall, I love you Pops, from one grateful coach and son to another. You have done your entire family, friends, and the town of Lorenzo proud. Good luck.

I found this photo in a September 2, 1990 Big Spring Herald pre-season article on Borden County's new coach....

18089308203_364f99faa5_z.jpg

Back