Austin Hill Country favored over Abbott by 13

smokeyjoe53":3epi0g11 said:
SimplyPut":3epi0g11 said:
Richland Springs population?
350 according to the 2000 census. Ain't google nice?

That was 11 years ago. No telling how many Richland Springerites have died from freak cedar-chopping/Chrysler K-Car accidents in that time frame.

bootleg33":t5f4ckoy said:
Population of Abbott, tx - 300
Population of Austin metropolitan area - 1.8 million

Number of high schools in Abbott, Texas = 1

Number of high schools in Travis County, Texas = 67 +
(found by doing two gooogle searches, and they aren't complete -- because the private school search list didn't even include Austin Hill Country Christian School)

Folks, I can guarantee you that the best athletes ... be they football, basketball, volleyball, or water polo ... are not searching for little private schools so they can run roughshod over small rural Texas public schools. You will get kids that may be decent athletes, but often wouldn't even be considered for subvarsity teams at larger public schools. Yes, there are some families who choose a private school when their child could athletically excel at a public school, but if you're planning to get junior a football scholarship, you'd better be at a decent size school.

And private schools who make their admissions decisions based on athletic ability (1) had better have some rich folks bankrolling the school (and I'm talking millions, not thousands), (2) a school population of parents and kids who are willing to let the "ringers" come and go as they please -- physically, athletically, academically, and behaviorably ... some do it, but they do it at their own peril.

Let's just play the stinkin' game.

You could drive around a city like San Antonio for an hour and find a kid good enough to get you in the playoffs, just gotta give him a scholarship. You're not gonna find many kids like Lajordan Wilkerson living in "nowhere" texas, pop. 253

Sixman was made for rural kids in small communities, not these club teams we're flooded with today. They have every right to play, but the playing field ain't exactly even, imho.

And before I get bombarded by private school fans I know that some private schools don't recruit and I certainly wasn't implying that Winston or anyone in particular does. It's just an option that's open to the private sector...

without a doubt it will be a good game, CP sees it like I do, one score ether way could be the difference.

I believe if I could track the extra points attempted and made for all the schools that would be an influencing factor in trying to rate some of these schools.

fajitapete":3syqdpm4 said:
without a doubt it will be a good game, CP sees it like I do, one score ether way could be the difference.

I believe if I could track the extra points attempted and made for all the schools that would be an influencing factor in trying to rate some of these schools.
I think PATs made/missed would change rankings dramatically. I have seen some outstanding teams lose due to PATs missed.

CowboyP":l1j8g7fo said:
fajitapete":l1j8g7fo said:

I think PATs made/missed would change rankings dramatically. I have seen some outstanding teams lose due to PATs missed.
It almost cost our boys this week. That #12 from highland is a good kicker. He was 7 for 7. We scored 9 td's to their 7 and only won 62-56.

cleverunicorn73":2h7ff7zy said:
abbott folks reading this will be PO'd. abbott by 19

Hill Country 52
Abbott 6

What's the deal? Abbott over-rated...resting starters...or is Hill Country that good?

Why in the world would you rest your starts at week 6? I haven't seen Hill play in 2 years but they had serious talent then that are seniors now. D1 has some serious teams that can stand with most of the UIL teams.

BigPapi":1te81kin said:
so - call me crazy - but i'm going with Hill Country by 45 .... maybe i'm crazy ....
Yep, ur crazy, there is no way a private school can beat a quality public school by 45. Insane is probably the better word. How dare you!

Oh wait, good call.

Back