Area Playoff Game--Rankin Vs Sterling City

Wyatt-Riot

Six-man fan
This is a big one---in my opinion, two of the best teams in the state

#5 Rankin Red Devils (Home) vs #1 Sterling City Eagles (Visitors)
Reagan County High School in Big Lake
Friday, November 20th at 6:30 pm

Admission: $5 Adults, $3 Students

Masks are mandatory for all spectators. There should be plenty of space for a large crowd--tickets will not be presold.

Any predictions? Should be a heck of a game.

Hope to broadcast this game live at: https://www.reddevilsportsnetwork.com/ (waiting on approval)

Rankin 100, Sterling City 99. I think this will be a good one and could easily go either way.

Rankin is healthy and ready SC has their hands full in clearly the biggest game of the year in sixman football

Rankin 80-56 very similar to last years game teams are almost a mirror of each other a year later

Ben Rios should be back for this one and Deshon Goodley is the healthiest he has been all season

Red Devils win late over SC

I pick Rankin by10 however who makes the most of their extra points will ultimately win this week and next week against Westbrook who will play Borden County

TebowTime15":2goikexn said:
Rankin 100, Sterling City 99. I think this will be a good one and could easily go either way.

That was a pretty good guess! Good season to Rankin & congrats to Sterling City! With Richland not looking great out east, I would pick the western team to win it all in D1!

Sorry I always get the D1 and D2 teams mixed up in the playoffs. My apologizes!

While a team should never count anyone out, I, as an observer, simply was not that impressed with McLean last year. That is nothing personal against anyone on that team, I listened to the podcast of McLean's stud with the Rule coach and he seemed like a fine young man, but that is what my eyes told me.

Despite the fact I would root for Coach Steele against the western team, I would not bet on Leakey or May winning it all. For what it is worth, though, I hope May destroys Leakey in the eastern finals.

Did anyone actually see the illegal block on Rankin .. late in the game that would have made it a 1 TD game and brought a TD back .. likely the nail in the coffin ? I watched the video and replays and only saw incidental contact

Longhorn85":1mdf8dwf said:
Did anyone actually see the illegal block on Rankin .. late it the game that would have made it a 1 TD game and brought a TD back .. likely the nail in the coffin ? I watched the video and replays and only saw incidental contact

As just a spectator with “no dog in the fight” I will say there were multiple questionable calls/ lack of calls. The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

Texas6Man":2xeap9tb said:
Longhorn85":2xeap9tb said:
Did anyone actually see the illegal block on Rankin .. late it the game that would have made it a 1 TD game and brought a TD back .. likely the nail in the coffin ? I watched the video and replays and only saw incidental contact

As just a spectator with “no dog in the fight” I will say there were multiple questionable calls/ lack of calls. The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

as a rankin supporter I am not sure you can say with "no dog in the fight"-- I will say I hope that the replay of this game is available to watch.. sounds like it was a great one!

pistol":1l86jh8u said:
Texas6Man":1l86jh8u said:
Longhorn85":1l86jh8u said:

as a rankin supporter I am not sure you can say with "no dog in the fight"-- I will say I hope that the replay of this game is available to watch.. sounds like it was a great one!

Can very much say so. I support 6 man football period. The last few years Rankin has been ONE of the teams (along with SC, Borden, Balmorhea) I have kept very close track of as they are in my area and have an extremely talented team. It doesn’t matter to me who wins I love a good game. What I do not like to see is the officials playing a major part in how the game ends and that game last night they did just that. I’ll go as far as to say in over 30 years of watching 6 man it was one of the top 5 most memorable games that I’ve attended where officiating alone played a significant role in how it ended. There were HORRIBLE calls on both sides all night. I enjoy leaving a game and feeling like the players on the field decided the game & that game didn’t allow that. My opinion of course but want to be sure to clear up your statement thinking I have that opinion based on bias for a certain team.

Texas6Man":3u0j6lcd said:
Texas6Man":3u0j6lcd said:
The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

What I do not like to see is the officials playing a major part in how the game ends and that game last night they did just that. I’ll go as far as to say in over 30 years of watching 6 man it was one of the top 5 most memorable games that I’ve attended where officiating alone played a significant role in how it ended. There were HORRIBLE calls on both sides all night. I enjoy leaving a game and feeling like the players on the field decided the game & that game didn’t allow that.

As a matter of fact, I witnessed similar calls on Thursday night and also Friday night. I believe that I may know the reason why this begins to occur frequently in the playoffs. In the regular season a certain chapter officiates certain schools and you get a mix of the mostly good with the inexperienced.
In the playoffs, the officials are generally mutually agreed upon by both coaches. One coach suggests a certain crew that seems to be a great crew. The opposing coach is certainly not going to agree to that biased crew and suggests a crew that has called really great games from a different chapter. Once again opposed. They finally agree on getting some unknown crew that neither is familiar with and that is why the crews in question are assigned. They can usually be mostly unbiased, but leave a lot to be desired. IMO

Johnny South":99sc5vic said:
Texas6Man":99sc5vic said:
Texas6Man":99sc5vic said:
The one thing I hate for any team is to leave feeling like the officiating had an impact on the outcome. This game is one that definitely falls into that. It was an absolute battle but it officials had a major impact on the outcome.

What I do not like to see is the officials playing a major part in how the game ends and that game last night they did just that. I’ll go as far as to say in over 30 years of watching 6 man it was one of the top 5 most memorable games that I’ve attended where officiating alone played a significant role in how it ended. There were HORRIBLE calls on both sides all night. I enjoy leaving a game and feeling like the players on the field decided the game & that game didn’t allow that.

As a matter of fact, I witnessed similar calls on Thursday night and also Friday night. I believe that I may know the reason why this begins to occur frequently in the playoffs. In the regular season a certain chapter officiates certain schools and you get a mix of the mostly good with the inexperienced.
In the playoffs, the officials are generally mutually agreed upon by both coaches. One coach suggests a certain crew that seems to be a great crew. The opposing coach is certainly not going to agree to that biased crew and suggests a crew that has called really great games from a different chapter. Once again opposed. They finally agree on getting some unknown crew that neither is familiar with and that is why the crews in question are assigned. They can usually be mostly unbiased, but leave a lot to be desired. IMO

I would definitely agree with that! It’s not just football it seems to happen in other sports as well. Once playoffs start the officiating quality drops. I’m not sure but maybe they could have some type of “rating” system so there are “rewards” for better officiating then when playoffs start the best officials are used each week. I understand it’s not a “career” but it’s heartbreaking for the kids who put so much work into their sports to feel “screwed” due to someone that shouldn’t have that kind of power to decide a game.

I know bad calls happen but if you go watch film the players and coaches made way more mistakes than the refs did. My ol coach would say play better ut takes the refs out of it. To many excuses from people who arent willing to grab a whistle themselves.

6manonly":2j5ommuw said:
I know bad calls happen but if you go watch film the players and coaches made way more mistakes than the refs did. My ol coach would say play better ut takes the refs out of it. To many excuses from people who arent willing to grab a whistle themselves.

I’ve “grabbed a whistle”, spent 8 years doing just that. That’s why I said what I said & know the officiating was HORRIBLE for that game!

Back