Aquilla

it was a good game.. oakwood showed up to play.. end of story... true aquilla did get a few of their key players hurt tonight but with or without them i do beleive oakwood woulda won it

I'm only going to post once on this thread. It was Aquilla's game until #18 was injured. The Oakwood fans I spoke to were nice, but IMO Oakwood's team showed poor sportsmanship throughout the game. The final proof of this is going for a TD with 30 seconds left in the game - when they were up by 27 points. Where was the respect? They should have taken a knee and let the clock run out. It was disappointing to see a team with talented players show so little sportsmanship.

yah im not gna disagree with you at all on that one cowboy.. even though throughout the game aquilla didnt play with the most sportsmanship theirselfes.. but what can you do.. they are just a bunch of hot headed high school boys trying to prove a point. thats all im gna say on that one.. football is football.. thats just the way it goes

thats not the way it goes...sports is about more then just winning its about learning life lessons....just saying bad sportsmanship is apart of it is a load of bull...it means bad coaching/bad parenting!

EastTXNewbie":2jdltt4q said:
thats not the way it goes...sports is about more then just winning its about learning life lessons....just saying bad sportsmanship is apart of it is a load of bull...it means bad coaching/bad parenting!

I f a team, or a person has a detailed history of bad sportsmanship - you may have a point. But in a single game situation? I certainly do not want my entire parental ability judged based on a couple of slip ups my kids have had.

And yes, bad sportsmanship is how it goes. I'm about sick and tired of all this feel good bs about it building character and learning life lessons. It's about winning football games. Regardless of what the soccer moms, and self-esteem experts have tried to do to it, football is still a competitive sport.

The only thing losing teaches you is to never want to feel the sting of defeat.

Gatorade and trophies for EVERYONE!!!!

Is scoring a touchdown instead of kneeling it with 27 sec. really bad sportsmanship. If you dont like it stop it. You have to play the whole game..... even the last 27 sec.

I did not see the game but you can look at it from two sides. Would Aquilla try to score with 27 sec left knowing they could not win the game? Also, was it the starters from Oakwood or the backups getting playing time. Aquilla and Oakwood both had great years.

alumnihound":2mcv1pl6 said:
I did not see the game but you can look at it from two sides. Would Aquilla try to score with 27 sec left knowing they could not win the game? Also, was it the starters from Oakwood or the backups getting playing time. Aquilla and Oakwood both had great years.

There is not two sides to this, unless you count the good side and the bad side. Oakwood chose the bad side.

A team that is behind should be trying to score - whether they have a chance to win or not. It is not comparable in any way to running up the score.

A team that is winning, and in control of the ball and the clock should take a knee - unless there is a chance to win by the mercy rule. That was not the case in this situation. If the coach wanted to play his JV, he should have started earlier in the game.

Scoring with 27 seconds left and up by more than 20 shows a lack of class on the part of the coaches.

Valley was only up by 12 on Crowell, and the Patriots were not too proud to take a knee. At the end of the first half against McLean, Valley intercepted the ball and did not go into the end zone when he easily could have scored.

Oakwood's display was classless. Period.

yes at that time in the game we had both the starting running back and receiver and quarterback sittin on the sideline.. at least 3 freshman were on the field at that time in the game..

What play did they run? Run or pass? I know yall will say he should have kneeled it but a person can look at it being freshman in the game against the other teams starters and think they should not be able to score.

Cowboy, congrats to the Aquilla team on a great season, Aquilla keep your heads up you guys sure made a statement this year with a great season!!!!!

I said I would only post once, but I feel this needs said. The game is over & my boys lost. I wasn't happy with several things that happened, but it's time to move on. Congrats to Oakwood on the win.
And to the Cougars - hold your heads high boys, you gave it all you had & that's all anyone can ask of you.

Anybody who thinks that losing one or more starters due to injuries during a game wont affect the outcome is dilusional if you were that much better than aquilla than yall should have 45ed em when they started losing players....... Wow good runon sentence my english teacher would be proud

If there was any play called other than a kneel down, it was the wrong call. I don't care if it was 6 freshman, or 6 5th graders in the lineup.

I'm done on this subject. I have nothing against Oakwood, but what goes around comes around.

Don't know anything about either team, but, as a coach, I probably wouldn't have taken a knee either. I would have put in my back-ups and let them run some plays......no passes, no tricks.....just run the ball and let them play in a playoff game. If the shoe was on the other foot, and I'm losing.....I wouldn't mind if the other team was doing that either (heck....it's happened before, and it didn't bother me a bit).

Although, if the game clock is going to run out before the play clock....I wouldn't run another play....just let it run out. In other words, if I'm Oakwood and we run that play with 27 seconds left and we get tackled.....that would have been the last play of the game.

Back