All Star Games

FCSA football

Six-man fan
I have been to numerous "All Star" games where it appeared the EGO's of the Coaches was more important than the best interest of the kids, all Senior Players, having a good time and making lifetime memories. When these Coaches make the conscious decision to "45" their opponent they accomplish the following:
They make themselves feel good at the expense of HIgh School Kids. They humiliate their opponents and the KIDS ON THEIR TEAM that play little or not at all while the Coach polishes his EGO with his 45 point destruction of his opponent. We sent a kid to an All Star game where this is exactly what happened. I can't even begin to tell you about the disappointment and frustration experienced by the player and his family that traveled a long distance to see him get to barely participate in a game that was decided early. It was obvious to all that a "45" was more important to the coach that seeing to getting ALL OF HIS KIDS AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY.

Our Independent Bowl Games have supplemental rules that Leman and Cowboy and several others have asked me to share. I already know that I am going to get trashed by some, but it's worth it to hopefully change the mindset of some of those that can make a lasting memory for a kid better than it might otherwise be. So here goes.....

These games are meant to be competitive and fun and inclusive for the all the players, coaches, parents and fans. In an attempt to provide a close and exciting game that will last for four full and complete quarters we will institute the following amended rules.

1. Once a team is 31 points or more ahead they may not on side kick, they must kick away.
PENALTY: 5 YARDS AND REKICK.

2. Once a team is 31 points or more ahead they may not blitz or rush more than one player on defense.
PENALTY: WARNING AND REPLAY DOWN, OPTION TO ACCEPT OR DECLINE TO OFFENSE, SECOND OFFENSE, 5 YARD PENALTY, SUBSEQUENCE VIOLATION 10 YARD PENALTY.

3. Once a team is 31 points or more ahead the offense of the team leading may not pass or pitch, running plays with a direct hand off are the only exchange allowed.
PENALTY: SAME AS ABOVE EXCEPT OPTION LIES WITH DEFENSE.

4. Every player on each team MUST play in at least ONE PLAY PER QUARTER, or four plays in the game.
PENALTY: ANY COACH FAILING TO PUT PLAYERS INTO THE GAME AFTER THAT MAY NOT BE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE IN FUTURE BOWL GAMES. Teams will not be penalized for the actions of their coach.

Please remember that while winning and competition is important, it is also important that this be great memory for each team and every team member. That is the request and expectation of our Sponsors.
We hope that by implementing these rules the games will remain competitive, fun, and exciting for all participating and in attendance.

To answer the questions about officials enforcing these supplemental rules, they enforce them with no problem. Once the 31 point lead is reached, the officials notify both coaches that the rules are in effect.
These were only implemented for about 3 series of plays in one game.

For our Bowl Series yes, even the State Championship game, however out of the 4 games played last year, 3 were decided in the final minutes and one of those on the last play. In one game the rules were used on about
3 Series of downs only.

In regards to coaches running up the score, why not get coaches who have average records instead of only asking the "big" name coaches in six-man or the state champion coaches. Get coaches who are really in this job for the kids and to teach them lesson on and off the field. Stop getting coaches who are more worried about their win/loss record.

Just my two cents, but I am glad someone like you FCSA Football is trying to help make a difference.

Thanks. I understand that public school coaches take care of their families with what they earn so won - lost records are important. Priviate and home school, not so much. In either case, I believe that when you win, it is very important to consider how you won and consider the other kids, not necessarily the “grudge match” with the other coach. Worth considering ......

I think in an "All Star" game, they shouldn't blitz people anyway. That is just asking for injuries. Don't let them cut in yhose games either. Rushing defenders into the backfield is different to me than a straight up blitz. If you're rushing 2 or 3 to contain a spreadback or qb that's different than a blitz call that says go eat that guy for lunch... These seniors want to play to win but also have fun, so I don't understand why you run up the scores either. Let everyone play that was selected, and just have fun. It's a dang all star game not a championship game for a state title. Run them like Fellowship of Christian Athletes runs their all star games, they do not allow scores to be ran up and such. Every kid has to play and no kid can play more than half the game.

Back