Alan Barber Passes Away

granger

Six-man expert
Founder
Leman and I were just informed that Alan Barber, who was the writer, director, and producer of Six-Man, Texas passed away on December 29th.

Alan was a unique individual who loved the State of Texas and loved six-man football. He worked tirelessly on getting this film made (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1242764/) with his own money while running a very successful business as his 'real' job. I know many of you had the chance to meet and spend time with him over the years.

This movie was incredible and I hope some of the then 'kids' will chime in on here about the making of the movie and Alan.

Alan was fighting cancer and going through chemotherapy for the past few months. He developed complications and then contracted COVID last week. He will be missed

I looked for this film a few years back with no luck. Just googled it again. Is there any way to watch it? Maybe I should have tried DuckDuckGo instead.

Alan was a special guy to a lot of people in the Six Man community, a proud Texan, and a huge six man football fan. We’re all definitely gonna miss him. I was the editor and co-producer of “Six Man, Texas”, so I’ll look into releasing the film online. I think we can make that happen and report back.

It’s hard to believe that it’s been 20 years since Alan and Mike showed up in Aquilla with a camera. As kids it was so easy opening up to Alan because you could tell that he truly cared about our communities and was excited to tell our stories. Having most of Aquilla come to Dallas and Austin for the film festivals and getting to experience that with my brothers is a memory that I will always remember and be grateful for.

He told me once that as a student at Tech, he was driving back to Lubbock from Dallas and stopped in Jayton to get gas. A group of locals asked him if he was a transfer student coming in to town to help out the football team, and that they could sure use a kid with Alan’s size(Alan was probably 5’7 140lbs at the time he said). That interaction stuck with Alan for more than 30 years and was what gave him the idea to revisit these places.

Texas Sixman football owes more to Alan Barber than it ever will know. He championed us when a lot of the world looked at us as a novelty. Rest In Peace Alan and thank you for everything you captured.

As I drove to Dallas Tuesday to broadcast the game, I smiled to myself when I saw the Tokio Rd exit, remembering all the times you guys had there.

Mike Scannell":142u15xh said:
Alan was a special guy to a lot of people in the Six Man community, a proud Texan, and a huge six man football fan. We’re all definitely gonna miss him. I was the editor and co-producer of “Six Man, Texas”, so I’ll look into releasing the film online. I think we can make that happen and report back.

I really hope so and whatever help is needed let me know, willing to volunteer my time and energy. I know the issue with the release was very frustrating to Alan from my visits with him about it, he wanted it released.

Does anyone know if "Six Man Texas" was ever made available online? I've been wanting to see this film every since it came out (I'm a former Three Way Eagle, and it's my understanding they were included in the film), but I've never been able to find it anywhere.

Back