A step closer to be real Texan

HP Drifter

11-man fan
I spent a while in New Mexico as a youth. Some of my "friends" do not consider me a true Texan. They say my formative years were bent while in the Land of Enchantment. They have a whole list of things that a person must do to become a True Texan. The list is not for mixed company, but did have a chance to mark one thing off this past week. I finally ate at Mary's Cafe in Strawn and had a chickenfry. A small which I an sure disqualifies me for State admittance. But was delicious.

While they may call it that on the menu there is no such thing as a small CFS at Mary's. If I eat the whole thing with fixin's I'm stuffed. Believe it or not they used to be even bigger a few years back. I'd eat until I was full and still have enough for a sandwich a day or two later.

I've fed 2.5 people on the large several times.
What makes a true Texan anyways? I was born in England over Texas soil that was dug up a stones throw from Mary's. What counts? Coaching 6man for a million years should count for a lot I'd guess. So...

I don't guess I'm a "real"Texan since I've never indulged in Miss Mary's cuisine......... I guess the heritage of paternal great-great-grandparents who settled in western Llano County in the early 1850's after arriving from Germany(that land is still family owned by the way) and maternal precedents who fought for Texas Independence don't mean squat when compared to eating fried meat and potatoes...............

Wouldn't want to quash any of the true Texan's happiness. I forgot that my grandfather went up the trail on one of the last cattle drives as a 10 year old cooks helper or "Mary" as they were called........ so I guess maybe I qualify as having eaten at Mary's.............

smokeyjoe53":81rdgmi1 said:
I don't guess I'm a "real"Texan since I've never indulged in Miss Mary's cuisine......... I guess the heritage of paternal great-great-grandparents who settled in western Llano County in the early 1850's after arriving from Germany(that land is still family owned by the way) and maternal precedents who fought for Texas Independence don't mean squat when compared to eating fried meat and potatoes...............

Having great-great grandparents who came to Palo Pinto County before it became a County in 1857 I don't think eating CFS at Mary's is a requirement for being a True Texan. But it does enhance the experience. Kind of like floatin' the Frio.

HP Drifter":94oozwov said:
Well guess will have to make my next trip to Mary's when checking on ole gus, who has ridden off into the sunset.
While I was looking forward to finally getting to hang out with you today, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.
I just wanted to take my vacation days and they said they'd give me all that plus anything else owed and I could leave when I wanted. I jumped on that deal and left that day. Sorry I couldn't say goodbye. I only told 2 people who I happened to see in the hall. Wasn't coming back next year anyway and I still have a wacky dream of doing some serious coaching somewhere someday.
So...speaking of Texas...the first thing I did upon my return is go to a real Texas legend called "The Smokestack" for their all u can eat catfish for 11 bucks! Bamm! True Texas history there in Thurber. Not fried up.

This Texas boy is ready to be back in the land of bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes........... we had between 8-10" of snow yesterday with more coming later in the week.......... only 12 more days to go........

smokeyjoe53":39qvxl7y said:
markf":39qvxl7y said:
Never ate at Mary's,However have bought liquor in Mingus..thats a Texan
True story....... walked into a bar in Mingus and a dog growled at me.........

So you walked into a bar in Mingus but didn't drive the few miles to Strawn to try Mary's CFS?
Next time circle through Strawn first before Mingus, it's worth it. Besides, Mingus is down to one bar.
BTW the dog was trained to growl at everybody.
They thought if helped keep the riff raff out or in line.
Did the bar tender or bouncer ask if you had a gun or knife, and offer you one of you didn't?

Back