A small gripe

HP Drifter

11-man fan
Our school feeds it's players out of the concession stands when we travel. I do not expect a lavish meal, but when a hungry young man gets a hamburger with meat the size of a slider, a bag of chips and a small drink for $6.00 it is kind of out of hand. I know the folks that work concession stand are underappreciated and all but a lot of the bags had two "hamburgers" and others none. Guess what the kids who got two ate them and others did with out. Maybe nothing can be done about it, but on this occasion kind of stinks.

Perhaps this is already done, but do you let your guests know in advance that you plan to feed from the concessions stand in advance? I know at our concessions stand, the idea is to get rid of all the cooked food late in the game and not make extra to be thrown out.

Honestly, we have never done that but I can see in some of the more remote outposts of sixman football where that is a wise decision.

The other option is to find a restaurant that will prepare food and let you pick it up after the game; I know a lot of the larger schools arrange for a restaurant to feed the kids after the game.

In fact, an old friend of mine once told me a story. They were looking for a place to eat after a game and stopped by a restaurant. The waitress asks the team if they are here with Glen Rose, and they said yes, because their head coach's name was Glen Rose.

They pretty well cleaned out the joint. After they left, the Glen Rose football team arrived for their previously arranged dinner. But the cupboard was bare ...

Yes, they were contacted about 4 days prior. There is no cafe available in most places and they charge more than we allot for meals. We got home at 1:00, if you stop add at least hour and 1/2 to that. Just saying.

I can make a few suggestions, based on experience.

1. Advanced notice. It sounds like you did that, but did you........?
2. Talk to the right person. You can call the coach, the school, the local cat groomer, but eventually, you need to talk to the person who actually runs the concession stand. Most of the time, your first call can give you the right person. It's a heck of a lot better than the coach forgetting about it, and then at the last minute running up to the already packed concession stand and telling the first volunteer worker who otherwise does nothing more than volunteer work in the concession stand.
3. Be specific. If you want 20 meals, say 20, if you want between 20-25, well that is where it gets a little hinky. Make 20 and be short? Make 25 and don't know what to do with the others?
4. Be specific. If you don't want the kids to have sodas, say so. If you don't care, say so. I tend to not offer soda for the athlete unless the coach specifically says that it is ok. It's gatorade or water.
5. Let em know whether you want to pick em up individually, or to pack everything in a big box to go. I've had kids show up to get theirs, passed out 4 or 5 and then the coaches show up to take the box to go. Can get confusing that way, when some already have theirs, some don't.
6. In this case, let the school know that there were problems. That is unacceptable service. Granted, you won't get 4 star quality service, but there should at least be a minimum expectation. Including that the bags contain food. I'm sure the booster club, Junior class, teachers drinking fund, etc. would like to know that they messed up so that maybe they can fix it in the future.

7. If you are coming to Gordon, call me, I'm your guy, I'll hook you up. :)

Not even close. If that was the case, should have been prime rib. I understand all the "help". I have done all of your suggestions and still gotten poor treatment. Not exactly my first rodeo. Guess spoiled being at places who fed kids and did not expect the kids to pony up if it costs more than $5. Just saying

Check with your booster club. There may be someone who'd be willing to prepare boxed suppers for the team. You could reimburse the volunteers for the cost of supplies.

HP Drifter":1s921moo said:
Not even close. If that was the case, should have been prime rib. I understand all the "help". I have done all of your suggestions and still gotten poor treatment. Not exactly my first rodeo. Guess spoiled being at places who fed kids and did not expect the kids to pony up if it costs more than $5. Just saying

With 0bamacare going into full effect next week, you might have to drag a grill behind the bus, install a spotlight rack on it, and get the deer rifle out. There ought to be plenty of venison on the highways up there in the panhandle.

freeagent":xi067am8 said:
hornkeeper12":xi067am8 said:
7. If you are coming to Gordon, call me, I'm your guy, I'll hook you up. :)

Is Crawfish the specialty of the house?
naw, we just save that for special occasions. But we got a couple of good burger cooks. And some women that can count to 5. (Ain't there about 5 different items in a lunch bag?) Anyway, they can count high enough to make sure the bags all have the proper items in em.

On second thought, for the right price, I can do crawfish too. It's akin to the askin price for ranking improvements.

Just a thought...

I know that one of the large school bands in our area has a team of dads who cook for the kids every week. Basically, the do what you were talking about - a brown bag. Of course, the band eats before the game, football players would probably need to eat afterwards if they want to keep their uniforms clean. It wouldn't really take a great deal of effort and most fields have parking areas in view of the gridiron. Just a thought. At least you'd know that you would be taken care of.

Great idea!!!!!

We have a band..... Wait, does a drum make a band? Or do you have to have two drums? How about 1 drum with two sticks? Hmmmmm. Anyway, I wonder if her dad will cook?

Back