A question

donhardin

11-man fan
Has there ever been anyone in Texas that played eleven-man and six-man AND won all-state honors in both?

The question as been posed to me and I don't know OR I don't remember right off the top of my bald head.

Can you think of anyone who has pulled off this feat? There may well be some but I doubt there are many.

Thank you in advance.

Don Hardin
Abilene

Kid from Richland Springs... who played at San Saba... I think. QB... cannot remember his name, but when Loy was there coaching

Not sure he ended the year all-state, but I thought DCTF had him preseason, maybe...

I remember a kid from Calvert their first year. He was all-state KR in 11-man then they came to six-man. Cannot remember how he finished either... stuff is downstairs if I have it and don't want to wake the kids...

We'll have to check, but possibly Wayne Ware's nephew (Keenan Ward) who is at Synder could qualify. I think he was all state as a freshman at Dickinson Pine Drive; I know he's a solid D-1 prospect; I've heard Texas Tech, TCU or LSU as possibilities. Not sure if he was all state last year and I haven't tracked his performance this year.

Maybe Wayne can fill us in. He told me that the young man spent a couple weeks with him this summer in Dickinson and was talking about coming back to play with his buddies at Pine Drive. An idea that Wayne quickly soured him on ...

granger":2tvvm0ta said:
Kid from Richland Springs... who played at San Saba... I think. QB... cannot remember his name, but when Loy was there coaching

Not sure he ended the year all-state, but I thought DCTF had him preseason, maybe...

I remember a kid from Calvert their first year. He was all-state KR in 11-man then they came to six-man. Cannot remember how he finished either... stuff is downstairs if I have it and don't want to wake the kids...
I remember Bob Loy when he was at Richland, but can't remember any transfers from San Saba at that time except maybe Daniel Stevens.

donhardin":hn2mwfxb said:
Has there ever been anyone in Texas that played eleven-man and six-man AND won all-state honors in both?

The question as been posed to me and I don't know OR I don't remember right off the top of my bald head.

Can you think of anyone who has pulled off this feat? There may well be some but I doubt there are many.

Thank you in advance.

Don Hardin
Abilene

By 'anyone', do you mean individuals who played for both, or do you mean teams that won both?

Just askin'

Ok. I am speaking of individuals. Here is the deal there is a school that is moving up to Six-Man next season. A young man on the team was All-State in Class A Eleven-Man. He is setting his sights on doing the same thing in Six-Man. Has that happened before?

Not looking to start a contreversy. We know there are many folks that don't consider Six-Man as real football. Those same people would most likely believe that if someone was All-State in Eleven-Man, they would automatically be All-World in Six-Man!!!! Making the transition either way has its difficulties, going to Eleven-Man from Six-Man or Six-Man from Eleven-Man. It is a different game. I played both back in the day. Never was a threat for All-State at either level.never was a threat period.

It is my sincere hope that he can do it. That would be quite an accomplishment no matter if he was the first person to do so or one of a few!

Thanks again to all that have given your thoughts on this.

Don Hardin
Abilene

I believe Trey Ritchey from Jayton did that, i know he played his freshman and sophmore year 11 man. Junior and senior year sixman. Believe he was all state his sophmore year in 1a, and allstate his junior and senior year in sixman.

Don, back in Rochelle in 1972 (my freshman year) we played six-man, eight-man and eleven-man games in the same season. We played Knippa in an 8-man game (I believe 1972 was the last year for eight-man in Texas) and they took us 22-20. I believe Eden and Wall were 11-man games against their Jr. Varsities, and Cherrokee, Gustine and Mozelle were our six-man District games. We had a couple more pre-district games sprinkled in but I think they were six-man games.

May want to check John Arnold from Bynum in 91 maybe 92. He transferred to a Dallas area school and heard he shined at a 3 or 4A school.

Back