6600 new seats at Lambeau; stock sale likely

freeagent

Six-man pro
bilde

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette ... /110825163

Will let you look at the article, but the Packers are looking at adding 6600 new seats to Lambeau Field for the 2013 season. The $143 million project will be probably financed internally, perhaps by a new sale of Packer stock (the last sale was in 1997, when I got my one share for $215).

The Packers have ruled out going back to local voters for money but could tap into an NFL fund for expansion, however, other NFL owners have almost tapped out that fund. Therefore, the stock sale may be the best way to raise the capital -- but it would require some approval by the NFL and various legal/government authorities. The price of Packer stock if offered has not been determined. This would be the fifth stock sale in Packer history.

Packer stock is basically valueless. You can't sell or trade it (beyond transferring it to a spouse or child). No dividends; used to be a limit of one share per person but that has been changed (holders of stock prior to 1997 got something like a 2000 to 1 stock dividend, so they still remain the largest owners percentage-wise of the Packers). And if the Packers are sold or fold up, the money used to go to build a War Memorial in Green Bay (which locals used to say could also finance the war itself to memorialize), but since has changed to go to a charitable foundation. Doesn't even move you up on the ticket waiting list.

All that said, the stock will sell out in a couple months.

By the way, my seats at Lambeau are in this artist's drawing. Basically, if you find the Packer logo at the left (which is the tunnel where the Packers take the field) and go about halfway between that and the new seats on the top and maybe go over slightly to the right, you'll find Section 133, Row 55. Oh, and this picture also shows the historic south end zone ... December 31, 1967 ... 13 seconds left ... -13 below (The Ice Bowl) ... Starr takes the snap ... Touchdown, Green Bay!

lifegatesports":ycb6cwl2 said:
By the way, my seats at Lambeau are in this artist's drawing. Basically, if you find the Packer logo at the left (which is the tunnel where the Packers take the field) and go about halfway between that and the new seats on the top and maybe go over slightly to the right, you'll find Section 133, Row 55. Oh, and this picture also shows the historic south end zone ... December 31, 1967 ... 13 seconds left ... -13 below (The Ice Bowl) ... Starr takes the snap ... Touchdown, Green Bay!
All depends on your point of view.... Historic for you, Infamous for me. Don't mean to insult you but just curious. Were you or any of your family at the game. I vividly remember watching the game on TV. If that is possible on a Black & White TV. As I recall, the TV shot was coming from Bart Starr's right and a little behind. I can't imagine being that cold. Coldest I have been was in Philly a few years ago at Thanksgiving.

smokeyjoe53":vdctw5do said:
All depends on your point of view.... Historic for you, Infamous for me. Don't mean to insult you but just curious. Were you or any of your family at the game. I vividly remember watching the game on TV. If that is possible on a Black & White TV. As I recall, the TV shot was coming from Bart Starr's right and a little behind. I can't imagine being that cold. Coldest I have been was in Philly a few years ago at Thanksgiving.

No, I was not at the game. There are about 400,000 peopple in Northeastern Wisconsin that claim to have been at the game, but Lambeau only seated less than 50,000 at the time.

I do remember that morning as being so cold. I was 11 at the time and lived about 40 miles outside of Green Bay (along Lake Michigan), my momma was a nurse at the local hospital. Her car wouldn't start that morning (I think we still had the old 1960 Ford Falcon at the time...) so she had to walk home the 16 or so blocks home. I think she got about halfway before one of the local cops saw her and drove her home.

You might remember back then, the NFL had a blackout rule. Regardless if the game were sold out or not, it could not be broadcast in the home market (later that was reduced to non-sellouts within 48 hours, and the rule STILL does not permit double-headers in the home team market when they are playing at home, for example CBS can show one game, FOX a game, and NBC the night game but if it's FOX's weekend for the doubleheader, you still get one game). But for the playoffs, the NFL would waive the rule so it was one of the rare games from Lambeau I saw on TV (some folks in towns just south of my home town with really good antennas; remember those; could pull in the Milwaukee signal sometimes...but it was nearly impossible in my home town, which was about 80 miles north of Milwaukee).

A friend of mine tells me a neat story about the game. He's taking his father-in-law to some function at the Atrium at Lambeau Field a few years back and pop tells him that he was at the Ice Bowl. Yeah, sure, you and all the others. Just then, they pass a mural which was a large photo of fans in Lambeau at that game. Some guy is holding a sign saying "Dallas may have the Lone Star, but we have Bart Starr." Dad says, hey, that guy was near where we were sitting. And a few folks away is my friend's father-in-law. As my friend says, he's about the only person who has been able to prove to him that he was at that game, now going on 44 years ago.

And still the greatest game in professional football. Especially since good again triumphed over evil. Sorry, couldn't resist that last one.

Back