6 man kids in college ball - 2011

freeagent

Six-man pro
Perhaps we should start a thread on six man kids playing college ball this year.

The SA Express News (8/25) ran an article on the new UTSA (D1) program and how San Antonio can be a prime location for local talent to keep kids from going elsewhere.

Among the local players they listed on the Roadrunners' squad was Tackle JAMES BAKKE, who played for San Antonio FEAST Homeschool.

By the way, the Roadrunners think that they may break a record for first game attendance by a new D-1 school for their Sept 3 opener vs NE Okla State; they think they can get a crowd of 50,000 at the Alamodome.

I was also told that the Fredericksburg Standard ran an article about former Heritage four-time all everything, Robert Ramsey, who is now a senior at D-3 Wheaton College (Illinois), but I couldn't find it online. From what I was told, the kid has bulked up (he sure looks it on his photo) and may try to get into NFL next year.

Here's his page on the college roster: http://athletics.wheaton.edu/roster.asp ... h=football.

Wheaton, by the way, is ranked #8 in the NCAA D3 poll. My alma mater and defending national champ, UW-Whitewater is #1, Mary Hardin Baylor is #6, while Hardin Simmons is #16. Those who follow D3 realize that Whitewater and Mount Union (#2) have played the last six national championships, splitting them 3-3 (Whitewater won the last two).

Nathan Alvis from Temple Christian Academy was recruited by Hardin Simmons to play safety/wide receiver. Was planning on going but in the end it didn't work out with the finances. Still good to know that six man football players are being recruited and looked at by some bigger colleges.

I know that Zac Agnew from Vernon Northside back in 07-08 was going to Abilene Christian to play football but didnt know if he actually did or not maybe someone could help figure that out.

From what I've talked to coaches, it is not an easy step for most high school players to make it to any level of college ball ... especially when you look at many sixman kids who might be small enough to barely make the cut as water boy at a 5A school.

But for those kids who have the physicial skills and the smarts to play football at a level beyond high school, six man does teach you one thing ... flexibility. You'd better be able to learn and perform at a number of different positions. And then, all of a sudden, you can fit in in a number of places in a college program (especially a small college) because you haven't played outside linebacker since you were in 7th grade.

Or at least that's what I've been told. But I slept once or twice since I was told that ....

Jimmy Keeling used to like to get a few sixman players when he was at Hardin Simmons. Of coarse I always thought he (Jimmy) would have made a good sixman coach with his offensive concepts.

Zac Agnew does play ball at ACU he graduated in 2010 they have him playing OLB, Paducah's Garrett Thompson is supposed to be playing at Tarlton State last I heard from him. Also Paducah Lonnie Hurd plays at south eastern Oklahoma state and Paducah Trey Mugruder plays at Mcmurry all graduated this past year.

Lonnie hurd is for sure playing college ball. Pretty sure on Mcgruder. Thompson has decided not to play ball at the college level. Zac Agnew is a RedShirt Freshman WR for Abilene Christian. And last i heard (unofficial) Parker Purvis will be playing Saftey for Tarleton State University. Not sure if he'll be redshirted or not.

Joel Skipworth from Wichita Christian is in his first year of playing for Hardin Simmons. He is playing inside linebacker at 5'8.

Calvin Leatherwood from Lubbock Christ the King was red shirted at the University of Incarnate word. I think this is a great topic to show the young man a 6 man player can play at the next level.

Back