6 Man Alumni Game - May 19th - Dallas Stadium

We are not %100 sure on who we will play, but we will be wearing Richland Springs uniforms. We also heard that we are the last game of the night.

Sounds like Saturday night lights to me:)

Thanks Denim and 51eleven. Looking over the schedule I see many games...even Daniel Boone vs. Davy Crockett, but not a hint of RS vs ? I'll check to see if there is a telephone number to call.

I left a message with the association and hopefully they can answer some questions.

One game of interest on their schedule is Harleton vs. New Diana. At Ore City both schools were in our school district and we pretty near hated the Eagles of New Diana. When I was an 8th grader they kicked our High School butts severely, so when basketball season began our HS and Jr. H boys returned the favor because we were coached by one of the assistant football coaches. Our HS team was good mainly because of Marvin Graham, a six foot three jumping jack who could walk beneath the backboard and with a single step dunk a basketball in each hand. Several times he touched the white trim-line that bordered the top of the backboard maybe three inches below the top of the glass backboard. He seemed to hang in the air for minutes. Our HS team was called the Rebels and since integration had just recently taken place the black kids hated getting beat by a bunch who called themselves rebels with the mascot a short fat guy dressed in gray toting a large confederate flag. Didn't matter half our team was also colored (using venacular of that period).

In the junior high game we pressed them the entire game and throttled them 111-9 or 109 to 11, one or the other. The next time we beat them a respectable 94 to thirty-something. It was sweet revenge for the massacre they inflicted during football. I don't remember anyone complaining from Diana.

The next year me and three other freshmen started on defense and...well...lets just say had it been a sixman game it would have been called at halftime. They were ranked 8th in the state. Our basketball team destroyed them again by 70 or 80 points every game.

Our sophomore year we thought we had a real chance. Our coach scheduled them for homecoming which had us "fired up". At the end of the third we were down 13 to 7 and had the ball deep inside the redzone. Then something happened I still have trouble believing after 30 odd years. Using incredible traps and some superman running from their two Robert Newhouse-like Backs they destroyed us 48-13. When I close my eyes at night I can still see those backs dodging, highstepping, ducking and breaking dozens of tackles. Once, early in the 4th me and the tackle, a six foot redhaired Scottsman had a beautiful bead on their tailback. At the moment of impact my eyes went dark from what seemed like a collision with a hickory tree. As I lay spralled out next to the scottsman I looked up and watched him get hit and nearly hit by almost every player on our defense. Mike, an all-state MLB and our tough strong safety had good, clear shots at him but grabbed nothing except air. Our noseguard absolutely murdered him, but all the guy did was falter briefly then regain his balance like a cat and explode into the endzone some twenty yards away. It was spectacular. I remembered their names until about ten years ago. Maybe one's name was Randy Fleet??

Sorry about the longwindedness of that...must be missing it. :):):)

good luck on them calling you back.. haha

Last I heard from the Alumni ......if they had to they would invite one of the schools that yo-yo. I want to say it might have been Blackwell that she mentioned. One of those Alumni teams has played like 5-6 times in the Stadium because they switch. haha

This will be my last year at trying to get the league off the ground.

If any of you guys are interested in playing Jan - March just let me know. You just have to know its not something you can form up overnight though. It takes planning and prep.

Since King James is the heart and soul of that team, I'd have to say Coach Reed. He volunteered to coach us, even made a playbook/practice film for us. Coach Reed has been a blessing to us all and we dearly appreciate all the things he has done.

Looks like they'll be playing Gordon according to the alumni website. So denim who will be the spread back you Tyler or give Cj a chance? And could you not get any Aquila boys to join aka "wild man" or "pooty"

Heard from the she-bull herself who says the same same: "We are having a sixman game between one team wearing RS blue and white against an undetermined opponent; I assure you we are playing a sixman game".

Good enough.

I bet Tipton is glad to be playing with Jared Hicks instead of against him. Last time that happened it was 45-0 in the playoffs and Hicks ran wild. Not Tipton's fault mind you, but it can't be a very good memory.

Back