25 Days of Champions -- 2003 Strawn

Leman Saunders

Six-man expert
BY LEMAN SAUNDERS

Coach Dewaine Lee took over as the Greyhounds’ head coach in 2003. He had some returning players, two offensive and four defensive, from a 2002 squad that went 9-3 and defeated Guthrie 51-50 in bi-district, before falling in the second round of the playoffs to Panther Creek.

Strawn fared well in their first seven games of the season and rolled into their big district rivalry game with Gordon 7-0, and just coming off a dominating 82-0 win over Moran. Gordon was not intimidated one bit with the Greyhounds and proceeded to hand them a big wakeup call and their first (and only) defeat on the season, as the Longhorns won, 47-34 and would win the district title, putting Strawn in the runner-up position with their 9-1 record.

Strawn had little trouble in bi-district or in the second round of the playoffs, defeating Newcastle and Lohn 52-6 and 62-12, respectively.

In the quarterfinals Strawn, met up with Zephyr in DeLeon for a big showdown of top-ranked teams. The Greyhounds trailed in this game 24-16 at halftime. In the second half, the Strawn defense didn’t allow a single point, while scoring 30, cruising to a final score of 46-24.

The semifinal game against top- ranked Richland Springs would go down as one of the greatest six-man games of all time. Honestly you could write 2,500 words on this game alone. However, to make a long story short, this game came down to who had the final possession, and that would be Strawn.

Richland Springs had scored with 4:48 left in the game to take a 54-50 lead, but the PAT kick was blocked. To that point, their kicker, Alvaro Avilo, had made 27 straight PATs prior to that blocked kick.

Strawn drove down the field and had first-and-goal at the one-yard line, with 39 seconds left to play and zero timeouts. Two straight dive plays were stuffed by the Coyotes’ defense and the Greyhounds lost yardage. On third down Strawn spiked the ball.

Only two seconds remained and it all came down to this one last play.

Strawn, out of a tight-balanced line T formation ran straight dive to fullback Jonny Parsons who was hit in the back field for what looked like a game-clinching loss, but he shed two tackles and with a Richland Springs defender wrapped around his ankle, hopped and powered his way forward for the game-winning touchdown as time expired, upsetting Richland Springs, 56-54.

The Greyhounds would go on to face Fort Davis in the state championship game.

The Fort Davis Indians were in their second season of six-man after having back-to-back seasons going 0-10, in 2000 and 2001, playing eleven-man. They beat Balmorhea in the final game of the regular season, 48-38, to win their first district title since 1985.

The battled Grady in bi-district, winning 64-33, then beat Ira, 78-40, in the second round. In the quarterfinals, they battled with Valley, having to score four touchdowns in the fourth quarter just to tie the game with 19 seconds left, but missed their PAT and would needed overtime to get past the Patriots, 60-54. The Indians avenged a non-district loss to Whitharral, 56-34, in the semifinals, winning 50-42.

State Championship Game – Saturday Dec. 13th 6:00pm in Ratliff Stadium, Odessa

A large crowd of 6,000 fans turned out to watch the game being played in Odessa for the first time. This year’s state title game would be a tale of two halves. The first half being a defensive struggle and the second half being an offensive shootout.

Strawn would strike first for the only score of the first quarter, on a 32-yard pass from Derek Hinkson to Orin Mallory. With a converted PAT kick, the Greyhounds led 8-0. They would extend that lead when Clifton Baker scored in the second quarter on a six-yard run. Jonny (Jonathan) Parsons’ kick was once again good and Strawn held a 16-0 lead.

Fort Davis mounted a comeback, scoring the next fourteen points of the game with their aerial attack passing game. Trini Granado scored the first Indian touchdown on a 19-yard pass and catch from John Liddell, then Granado was on the receiving end of a 69-yard David Lara pass. The two teams went into the locker room at halftime with Strawn up 16-14.

The Greyhounds received the ball to start the second half and the Indians came very close to recovering the onside kick. On Strawn’s very first play from scrimmage, Clifton Baker broke loose on a sweep for a 50-yard touchdown run and Strawn led 22-14.

Fort Davis answered quickly, moving the ball downfield with a long pass on their first play of the possession, followed by a run, taking them to the one-yard line. From there, Liddell punched it in on the third play of the drive. The added PAT tied the score 22-22 with only 56 seconds gone from the clock.

Strawn started the next possession at their own 23-yard line, and not to be outdone, scored on their second play of the drive, when superb blocking opened up a huge hole for Jeremy Parsons, who coasted 53 yards for the touchdown. The PAT failed and Strawn regained the slim 28-22 lead.

The Greyhound defense then forced Fort Davis to a quick three-and-out. Strawn moved the ball easily, running sweeps out of a tight formation, then switching to a more spread-out offensive set once in the red zone. From there, Jeremy Parsons, playing the spreadback, ran it in from 18-yards out for the score and the Greyhounds led 36-22, with 4:27 left in the third.

On their first play after a short kick by Strawn, Lara found Fort Davis center Tim Salcido wide open on his pass route for a 50-yard touchdown. The point after failed and the score was now 36-28 Strawn, with 4:11 left in the third quarter.

The Greyhounds responded, moving the ball downfield with big runs by Jeremy Parsons and Baker, setting up a 2-yard scoring run by Justin Cormack, extending the lead to 44-28, with 1:16 left in the third. The third quarter would come to an end soon after, with Fort Davis driving and with 42 points already being scored in the quarter.

The Indians scored on a 20-yard play-action pass from Lara to Granado. The kick by Salcido made the score 44-36. Again the Indians attempted a tricky onside kick, but this one managed makes its way down the middle of the field a little too hard, rolling into the end zone for a touchback. Strawn didn’t hesitate and on their first play ran a play-action pass that took them all the way down to the Indian 14-yard line. Four plays later, Zach Mallory hit Derek Hinkson on a play action pass in the end zone for a touchdown. Now, with 6:21 left in the game, Strawn led 52-36.

Fort Davis began their next drive at their own 17-yard line. Facing fourth-and-14, with the ball at their own 35 and out of a traditional spread offensive set, Lara found Aufdengarten all alone behind the Greyhound defenders for a 55-yard TD. The kick was blocked, but the lead was once again cut to 52-42, with 3:22 left to play.

Strawn fielded the onside kick with no problem and on next play from scrimmage in a balanced line T formation Justin Cormack took the pitch on a sweep left and dashed 54 yards for a Greyhound touchdown. Strawn ran a ‘Charlie Brown’ fake PAT kick and passed for the 1-point PAT (Hinkson scoring the point) to take a 59-42 lead with 3:09 left to play.

The Indians moved the ball down the field out of their typical spread formation. Center Salcido caught a pass and took the ball down inside the 20 and appeared to fumble, only for the refs to rule him down at the 15-yard line. Two plays later, Lara once again hit Granado, who broke a few tackles and ran into for a 13-yard touchdown for the Indians. The kick was blocked and the score was now 59-48. After another failed onside kick from Fort Davis, Strawn scored on their first play from scrimmage, when Cormack found a running lane on a dive play and ran untouched 42 yards for a touchdown. Johnny Parsons’ PAT kick was good and Strawn led 67-48 win 1:58 left to play.

Fort Davis tried some trickery on the ensuing kickoff return with a lateral, but Strawn wasn’t fooled. Starting at their own 29 the Indians were looking to make an epic comeback.

It took eight plays, but Fort Davis scored again on a 1-yard run by Cody Stewart. The kick failed and the score stood at 67-54. The Indians then recovered an onside kick and began their next drive at the Greyhound 34-yard line. After an incompletion and a fake reverse run that gained good yardage, Granado scored his fifth receiving touchdown of the game on a 16-yard pass from Lara. Salcido’s kick was good and the score was now only 67-60, with 11 seconds left in the game.

Another onside kick attempt was almost successful, but Strawn fell on the ball and kneeled out the clock to secure the win and their first state championship.

Strawn amassed 662 yards of total offense (398 rushing, 264 passing), while Fort Davis gained 456 (383 passing, 73 rushing) for a combined 1,118 yards of offense. Strawn recorded 20 first downs to Fort Davis’ 17, but Fort Davis won the turnover battle, with Strawn losing only two fumbles, while Fort Davis’ only turnover was a single interception. There were 57 total points scored in the fourth quarter alone. At the time, this game was the highest-scoring six-man state championship game with 129 total points scored, 91 in the second half alone. However, the 129 combined points scored would only stand for three years, as Richland Springs and Rule combined for 136 points in the DI 2006 state title game.

*Notes*
-Before this game the highest combined score for a six-man state championship game was 120 set by Amherst and Milford in 1995.

-Dewaine Lee is still the head coach at Strawn in his 15th season.

-I took some of my college buddies from McMurry over to watch the Strawn v Richland Springs game at Brownwood’s Gordon Wood stadium for their first six-man football game. It was a big success they loved every minute of it.

-Speaking of Gordon Wood, he passed away that week. He had been in the press box for the Strawn-Richland Springs game. It was the last game he ever saw in person.

-I used the Abilene Reporter News and 2004 Dave Campbell’s Magazine for state game scoring summary as well as the game film courtesy of Dewaine Lee.

-Jere Longman covered the state championship game for The New York Times. His articles can be found here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/14/sports/football-not-everything-is-bigger-in-texas.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/15/sports/football-fort-davis-falls-short-in-texas-final.html

Best game ever. Won on last play of the game, with second effort and a miraculous drive to get there. Thank you all Hounds ever that got them that far.
Fourth down, Parsons stopped, stutter stepped right and dove.
Tip of nose of ball pierces goal line.
I've watched the dvd many times.
Time stopped.
Let's Go!
Jr Hi daughter cheerleader, Where?
On the field!
She and wife followed, others were already doing so.
Brownwood PD stopped us until RS could leave the field.
I'll never forget Coach Lee and Jonathan standing there together and congratulating them.
Strawn was going to state for the first time.

PS: If anyone has a good photo of the 2003 Strawn team please send it my way...I cant seem to find my good one
[email protected]

Honestly Im not sure which game was better...and I was at both of these...the 2003 Semi-Final game Strawn v RS or the 2001 Semi-Final game RS vs Woodson! That's a different topic for a different day!

Leman Saunders":1xphgwlr said:
PS: If anyone has a good photo of the 2003 Strawn team please send it my way...I cant seem to find my good one
[email protected]

Honestly Im not sure which game was better...and I was at both of these...the 2003 Semi-Final game Strawn v RS or the 2001 Semi-Final game RS vs Woodson! That's a different topic for a different day!

I was at both as well... the RS play against Woodson reminds me of the USC play before the half against Texas this year... but more stunning

Revisiting these older posts and will bump one every few days now that we are in the off season. Will post game film links. Over the years I have received multiple copies of the same state game(s) usually copies of a copy and if lucky he original. This is the best quality 2003 game film I have which I think is the original Strawn film or a 1st generation copy of it.

Revisiting these older posts and will bump one every few days now that we are in the off season. Will post game film links. Over the years I have received multiple copies of the same state game(s) usually copies of a copy and if lucky he original. This is the best quality 2003 game film I have which I think is the original Strawn film or a 1st generation copy of it.
Thanks for posting this Leman. I still re-watch the 03 Strawn RS game every year or two, now off of you tube, I've still got a DVD of it. Used to freeze frame that last play and watch it frame by frame. I don't think I've seen the state game since it happened, looking forward to re-watching it. I've never seen a recap of that game as detailed as what you posted, though I do have one myself.
I also have a team picture from the front page of the Mineral Wells Index after the state game. It's been stuck in-between the clear plastic cover and actual front of a notebook since 2003, it might tear it up to take it out. but i can take a picture of it and send it to you.
In addition, I have a copy I printed of Grangers write up the day after the RS game (titled "Crazy Train") that he posted here on the forum. As you know the site crashed or was hacked after that and wall such write ups were lost to history. Then there are programs from the Zephyr, RS and state games, newspaper articles and pictures. I'll PM you about mailing copies as I'm not good at scanning, uploading, attaching such then sending electronically.

As was posted in the past, and probably lost to Granger’s big crash, there were extenuating circumstances leading to the 2003 Strawn-RS game going down to the last second with Strawn scoring to win.
First there was a retarded administrator “punishing” one of the RS starters by making him sit out the entire first half for missing a half day of school to drive a friend to the doctor. The friend happened to be an all-state lineman who had broken his leg.
Then, as you may recall, with the clock running and about to expire, the official on Strawn’s sideline whistled the clock to stop??? for a Strawn player to get off the field without a penalty!????????Calling it an official timeout!????
The game should have never gone to the last second, but it did and Strawn won.

And it was only 20 years ago!

As was posted in the past, and probably lost to Granger’s big crash, there were extenuating circumstances leading to the 2003 Strawn-RS game going down to the last second with Strawn scoring to win.
First there was a retarded administrator “punishing” one of the RS starters by making him sit out the entire first half for missing a half day of school to drive a friend to the doctor. The friend happened to be an all-state lineman who had broken his leg.
Then, as you may recall, with the clock running and about to expire, the official on Strawn’s sideline whistled the clock to stop??? for a Strawn player to get off the field without a penalty!????????Calling it an official timeout!????
The game should have never gone to the last second, but it did and Strawn won.

And it was only 20 years ago!
That's deep. I'll reply further later.

On the way back machine found this:

Six-man football is my fever​

What is a guy like me doing in a place like this?
I mean, come on. I attended a Class 5A school and didn’t even play football in high school. (Heck, you wouldn’t have, either. We were 0-10 my freshman year and 1-9 my senior year AFTER dropping down to 4A!)
As a typical Texan, I was obsessed with high school football. I started my rating system on six-man football after encountering the people and the game.
The speed and intimacy of the game capture you like no other. You see the speed and feel the pain inflicted on the cut-back blocks when watching a six-man game.
Even the famous Gordon Wood was awed last weekend in the press box at what he saw.
I have heard other “Big City” folks tell me the game has ruined 11-man football for them. On any given Friday night, I catch people in the stands of big six-man games who have driven all the way from the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Austin and even Houston.
In the early days of my six-man experience, I would travel to games handing out my rankings on a sheet of paper and just talk about the game and the teams.
In a world where we are suspicious of outsiders, six-man fans would gladly take my paper and look it over. They were curious where their team stood among the 83 teams.
I began to realize that these fans were hungry for information that eluded them. There was not a single newspaper in the state who knew all of the scores or district standings.
I was spending my Friday nights on top of press boxes that looked like large deer blinds and roaming the sidelines watching the game that had taken my life hostage during the fall.
I would also drive. I had to. The closest six-man town to my house was over 100 miles away (Buckholts), while the furthest was 600 miles away (Follett). Every Friday was like an adventure to see old friends and meet new. The towns may have been different and the players might have graduated and moved on, but the fans were always there.
Several years later, I began the Website (sixmanfootball.com) and discontinued my newsletter. The fans needed the information even faster and the technology provided that. Here in these small towns, where people are moving away from the bigger cities, technology was available. It even allows others from bigger towns to join into this community.
It is not uncommon for fans, unable to attend a game and sitting at home, to get phone calls from their friends and update their scores on my website. There are even some fans staying at home, listening to the game on the radio then posting a play-by-play on my message board for others.
Ah, but to be there in person.
You have an incredible opportunity this evening in Odessa.
The state championship games of the 21st century have been unbelievable. Each game has gone down to the last play.
In 2000, Panther Creek scored twice in the final 1:09 to defeat Highland, 42-36. The Panthers scored their final touchdown with one second remaining. Incredibly, Highland appeared to run the ensuing kickoff back for a touchdown, but an inadvertent whistle stopped play and the kick was replayed without incident.
The 2001 championship featured Whitharral racing out to a 21-0 lead. But star player Brandon Hoskins was injured.
Richland Springs came back within 21-20 in the fourth quarter and actually missed a PAT to take the lead with 1:41 to play. Whitharral answered with another quick touchdown, but missed their PAT, leaving the score at 27-20.
Richland Springs took over on its own 37-yard line with 50 ticks of the clock remaining, but ran out of time at the 15-yard line.
Not to be outdone, the 2002 Calvert comeback win over Sanderson was also an instant classic.
Calvert trailed 32-0 at the half and appeared on their way to becoming a victim of the 45-point rule. But the Trojans rallied and scored an unheard of 32 points in the final six minutes of the third quarter alone.
Sanderson responded, scoring late touchdown with 46 seconds left to play to secure a 46-45 lead. But on the next play from scrimmage, Calvert’s Darius Smith caught a 50-yard pass from Herbert Kinney for the Trojans’ 51-46 win.
This game should be every bit as exciting as those.
You couldn’t keep me away.
Granger Huntress is the founder and editor of sixmanfootball.com. He can be reached by e-mail at [email protected].

Ratliff gets the biggest crowd ever to watch six-man game​

By Michael Kern
Odessa American

When it comes to Ratliff Stadium, the city of Odessa does things big. So it was little surprise on Saturday when the Odessa Chamber of Commerce announced the just-completed six-man state championship game had set a new attendance record.
The announced 6,111 fans in attendance were the most to ever witness a six-man state championship game in UIL history.
To make it happen, fans came from all over West Texas to watch Fort Davis and Strawn do battle. Jackets and hats could be seen from schools as nearby as Odessa High and Permian and as far as Coahoma, Ackerly-Sands, or Fort Stockton.
The combined population of Fort Davis and Strawn comes in at just under 1,800 people. That means the crowd at the game Saturday was roughly three and a half times the combined size of the two towns.
“West Texas just loves football,” Fort Davis head coach Gerry Gartrell said. “It just kind of adopts whoever is left. There were a lot of fans in those (home) stands and they were not all from Fort Davis. I was really pleased with the turnout.”
NEW DIMENSIONS: To accommodate Saturday’s game, the Ector County Independent School District had to place special lines on Ratliff Stadium’s new turf.
The six-man field is only 80 yards long and is much narrower that a regular 11-man football field.
To get the right size field, ECISD Director of Maintenance Ron Davis first contacted the UIL to get the right dimensions then called the Brownwood ISD to find out how they handled adding lines to their turf for last week’s semifinals game between Strawn and Richland Springs.
Ratliff Stadium and Gordon Wood Stadium in Brownwood both use the same AstroPlay turf.
Initially, Davis had planned to just chalk the lines onto the field. But both teams wanted to practice on the field before the game. The Odessa High-Permian band also needed to use the field for practice, as did both schools’ soccer teams.
All that use would have worn those lines off the field.
So then David contacted SRI, the company that installed the turf at Ratliff, to get an idea from them what to do. SRI suggested mixing paint with soap to make it less adhesive.
But Davis tested that on samples and found that the mixture was even more difficult to get off than regular paint.
Finally Davis tried three different kinds of latex paint on samples to see how easy they would be to clean off. He found that the lowest grade of latex paint would be the easiest to clean off the field.
“We rented a sweeper to get the paint off,” Davis said. “I used a wire brush on the samples and was able to get it to come up quickly.”
Davis’ crew just painted the field Wednesday but will have to scrape it all off again on Monday.
“It was just a unique situation for the six-man game,” Davis said.
COACHES BECOME FANS: Not everyone in attendance at Saturday’s game were regular fans. A number of the spectators were coaches — six-man and 11-man alike — who wanted to catch a piece of the action.
Wink assistant coach Cary Shackelford, who was out at the game, was one of the many coaches in attendance. It was far from the first six-man game he had ever seen.
“I graduated from Marathon and played six-man football there, so that’s why I’m out here,” Shackelford said.

Thanks again Leman. These are two of the articles in my scrap book I printed out. How did you get the first one? I thought it was from the site before the crash and had been otherwise lost.
What I remember about the game, other than Fort Davis just kept coming back, they never quit, 39 total points in the last 6 1/2 minutes, over 1100 yards total offense.
Other than the game itself, pulling up to Ratliff stadium, then walking in thinking if the whole town comes it's still going to be pretty much empty, why have a six-man game here? We got there early. Then watching it grow to over 6000 people, at a six-man game! I was astounded. An old man sitting two rows behind us, in an old Greyhound letter jacket. He'd graduated in 1950, went to Midland/Odessa, worked in the oil business and never really been back much. I introduced him to the current mayor at the time.
My daughter, a jr hi cheerleader getting to ride in the second charter bus. They left about 7:00 AM, so the girls could have time to go to the mall, a special treat for a young teen girl from Strawn, which is what She was excited about.
Logan's Roadhouse afterward. Seeing Paul and Melanie Cormack in line waiting to get in, thinking this ain't right. Walking up and saying come with me. I told the matire d this is the principal of the team celebrating in the back room (and paying for it), can they just go on back? I led them to the room where their son Justin sat staring at the trophy on a table, which I got to touch.
Having an old man in Logan's in FD attire come up to me, in SHS attire saying "Well, Strawn was One touchdown better than the Indians on This night."
Then there was the ride home. Leading the busses, but I had to stop and pee (illegally, the store was closed after I pulled off), then playing catch up as they were doing 80 mph on the interstate. To lead them down Ranger Hill and into Strawn blowing by horn until about the third time my wife told me to stop.

Back